Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times

Advertisements

I read a lot about this economic meltdown, I guess folks think they will be selling apples on the streetcorner. Better go read up on the depression so you can figure out how to get by for the coming decades. Should at least solve the energy problem, huddled masses living in few homes, with four or more folks per bedroom, and no reason to drive the car since they have no work.

Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 PM

478 posts, read 956,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I read a lot about this economic meltdown, I guess folks think they will be selling apples on the streetcorner. Better go read up on the depression so you can figure out how to get by for the coming decades. Should at least solve the energy problem, huddled masses living in few homes, with four or more folks per bedroom, and no reason to drive the car since they have no work.

Sheesh.
Perhaps it won't get that bad. I, obviously, hope it does not.

But then again, who knows what will happen. The facts tell us we are facing an economic situation that has not been seen since the Great Depression. Many top economists think it could be much worse. I would think this would be cause for alarm.

But beyond that, if there is anything that the halfway intelligent American can decipher from the past decade or so - is that we have consistently been lied to. Through the politicians, through the media. What, involving this current crisis, leads anyone to believe that "they" are magically telling the truth now... ???

If you choose to turn a blind eye, that's your call.

Meanwhile, the Fed keeps dumping fake money into the system, delaying the inevitable - destroying the dollar, conveniently bailing out the big wigs, and all the while continuing to devalue the average American's spending power... as well as their life savings.

But, in reality, that could be just the tip of the iceberg. The USS Titanic is full steam ahead... sights set towards a major glacier in the sea - with a boat load of unsuspecting Americans - completely unaware of the dangers that face them.

Sheesh.

No reason for alarm, now, is there?

Go back to sleep. All is well.

America was conned - who will pay? | Business | The Guardian

Daily-Jeff.com - Independent Truckers See End of the Road

The Buck Stops Where? - WSJ.com

Pro Libertate: Why Aren't We Furious?

YouTube - WH Press Sec NOT ALLOWED to Talk about the Dollar

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
So many people are comparing it to the last very mild recession we had. Maybe they don't remember mortgages at 17% back in the 80's (I think). They think it will all pass over in a few weeks.

Me..I'm honkering down. Out of equities, all debts paid off and a pantry stashed to the hilt of canned goods that were on sale. Started a veggie garden, got some chickens and made contact with a local farmer for my meat.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So many people are comparing it to the last very mild recession we had. Maybe they don't remember mortgages at 17% back in the 80's (I think). They think it will all pass over in a few weeks.

Me..I'm honkering down. Out of equities, all debts paid off and a pantry stashed to the hilt of canned goods that were on sale. Started a veggie garden, got some chickens and made contact with a local farmer for my meat.
I don't agree, I think folks are taking it seriously and expect some economic displacement and discomfort. I don't believe we will see anything like the interest rates of the 1979-1988 timeframe.

I personally expect a fairly significant downturn lasting at least a year, perhaps even a few years. However, I believe that most folks will not be substantially personally impacted in their daily lives.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,285,866 times
Sure, all this complaining now. In 2004, Blue States were voting against the worst President this country has ever had, while the Red States were believing Cheney and voting with their hearts not their minds. Send innocent men and women to their deaths in Iraq for what? Lied to justify it too. Then idiot Senators signed support (including Hillary), with the purpose being to fight an ideology with guns. Cheney said "we need 4 more years to finish what we started." Really? Incredibly pathetic. In 2000, it was the same call, but Red States again prevailed with their backwards rationale for supporting Bush and the Neocons. I guess this country was starving for CHANGE after Bill Clinton lied to the American public, lied to his wife and child. He shamed the office. Is there any doubt that what was said to have happened between he an Monica was only the "tip" of the iceberg? More likely they did far more than engage in a little oral sex. But leave it to Bill to make sure that little detail never gets out.

So here we are. In a free-fall as expected. TRILLIONS of dollars wasted fighting a losing war and failing miserably in nation-building. OBL still at large. No-talent Britney Spears gains more attention than the inept administration. The Moon could be splitting in two and the country is more interested in American Idol. The TV problems on now are incredibly stupid. Line most of them up, they're all dumb. Thousands or millions of innocent people have been killed, maimed, crippled, rendered suicidal, suffering from depression, and negatively impacted for life while this country bleeds to death fighting a war that has been LOST. Bush failed. His presidency is a collosal failure. The red states were wrong. The Republicans were wrong. The neocons were wrong. Hillary Clinton was wrong.

I would say it is time to change course. Get this country out the dark ages and on a road to true progression, dignity, and integrity. We shouldn't be invading sovereign nations unprovoked, capturing their leaders and forcing execution. This country needs to learn to listen and RESPECT other nations as equals. I say it starts with saying goodbye to the Bushes, the Clintons, and the McCains. Enough of this absolutely pure trash leadership and its orphans.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,178,518 times
Originally Posted by Berkshires413
Quote:
Why do people still believe anything they see in the mainstream media?
Because television has conditioned its viewer that image is reality?
Since the beginning of time man is ingrained by evolution that 1 picture tells more than a 1000 words, so we automatically assume that pictures (and the perception of image) then must be more trustworthy than words.

The problem with economics is that it is not as concrete as say fire. When you are on fire, you know that you are on fire but you don't immediately know when you are poor.
Unless you never trusted any bank and always have slept on your money.

As I understand it 2/3s of the American economy depends on consumer trust.
So it is possible that people who trust their president who tells them on national TV that they ain't on fire can act as if they are not on fire, but in 'reality' are burning to a crisp.

Last edited by Tricky D; 03-18-2008 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
It all is just surreal. Beyond outrageous, beyond disgusting. It is like a total parallel universe experiement taking place.

A bit of advice for slumbering America: You have no idea what is coming.
Berkshires, it is the Howard Beale effect, simple as that.

YouTube - Network - We're In A Lot Of Trouble - Howard Beale

Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Is the sky falling; I have seen things alot worst that this . Then as now there are the domesday sayers but they would be rich if they really knew the future. Even the experts can't forsee the future.I won't believe anyhting on youtube.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,178,518 times
Originally Posted by texdav
Quote:
Is the sky falling; I have seen things alot worst that this . Then as now there are the domesday sayers but they would be rich if they really knew the future. Even the experts can't forsee the future.I won't believe anyhting on youtube.
The thing is that there are individuals who can't handle the truth.
They'd rather believe blatant lies, especially when the only alternative would be to panic. These people generally can't handle the fact that chaos is natural (everything changes) and that order (=stagnancy) equals death.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,659,238 times
Default MSM only cares about one thing.

MSM only cares about one thing. Ratings

Occassionly you will get Lou Dobbs or someone to do some real reporting and asking some questions about what the heck is going on with America. Otherwise we get more silly stories that mean nothing.

I think it's about time we turned off the tube on MSM and GET MAD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies