Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
True. But consider this:

Should tobacco and alcohol company advertising be allowed to target children? E.g., using cartoon characters to promote cigarette brands? Selling cigs and booze at child's-eye-level in every supermarket and convenience store? Should cigs and booze be available in school cafeterias?

This is essentially the problem with sugary junk foods today. Children (and their parents) are inundated with enticements to consume sugar. We all know it makes them sick - literally sick - not just teeth with cavities, but diabetes, heart disease, cancer... and we know it is addicting for many people.

Childhood Diabetes:
"Type 2 diabetes has changed from a disease of our grandparents and parents to a disease of our children."
Type 2 Diabetes in Children and Young Adults: A

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12891055

Childhood Heart Disease:
"One in four adolescents has two or more risk factors for heart disease."
Scary statistics about teens and heart disease that everyone should know - MD Mama - Boston.com

"Associations between added sugars and increased cardiovascular disease risk factors among US children are present at levels far below current consumption levels. Strong evidence supports the association of added sugars with increased cardiovascular disease risk in children through increased energy intake, increased adiposity, and dyslipidemia."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5365373/

Sugar and Cancer:
https://wellnessmama.com/60145/sugar-and-cancer/

Study links sugar to cancer: How to reduce your risk | Fox News
It's the parents' job to teach their kids what is good and what is bad, not the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 03:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Cooking at home with fresh ingredients is perhaps the best way to 1) eat healthily and 2) understand what REALLY goes into your food.

If more people did that today (while also choosing to exercise more, even if it just meant going for a small walk every day), we could improve the health of people in this country in dramatic ways.

Unfortunately, we are, as a population, generally too lazy, too busy, or too cheap to do all of the above.

It's unfortunate. And the proliferation of easy-to-cook frozen/processed food certainly has not helped.
Total agreement. And I say that as someone who used to eat packaged foods all the time, for the very reasons I stated in my first post. What changed? It's actually cheaper to make your own food, (I mean those frozen dinners), I started watching way too many "How To Make...." videos on YouTube because I've always been fascinated with the culinary arts (I'm too picky to be a good chef, however), I decided to start trying some and realized when I'm not forced to make something (like I was as a teen), it's actually fun to try it out, experiment, and ultimately tastes better than packaged trash.

I bought a packaged food about 3-4 months ago just to see...Good cripes it was nasty. I thought, "I used to eat this type of stuff all the time. WTH was I thinking? This is disgusting." Never again.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM

23 posts, read 13,232 times
In the absence of a high carb diet you can eat saturated fats, because your body will prioritize their use for fuel. It's carbs and sugars making everyone fat and sick.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
The food industry is not just making us sick but me more sickened lately. I do think there is such a thing as too healthy. If people want to eat a vegan diet that's fine but I couldn't do it.
On the other hand, the food industry is terrible. Fast food was never healthy but it used to be better and not as much of a concern. I could even eat something at McDonald's and it would be edible. The last time I ate there was what I always get which is the nuggets and apple pies..stale and gave me major runs (I didn't know how else to put that without triggering anyone). It didn't used to give me the runs. Don't even get me started on Pizza Hut which I used to love because I was a stuffed crust fanatic. It tasted fine when I got a free one due to complaining but when I bought it it was so awful that it was traumatic (and I've been through actual trauma so yes I can say that). It literally tasted like a cheap TV dinner and the taste would not go away. Every now and then for a while it's like my taste buds would remember it so you could say I was having body memories from that pizza. I don't know how anyone buys them anymore. Maybe it helps I'm an HSP but still it can't honestly taste good. Maybe it also would have tasted fine the next time I bought it but after that I'm scared to.
Same thing with frozen foods. They used to be better too. There was one that I liked from Tyson. I think they called it anytizers but they discontinued it so I decided to try something else from their brand which was the chicken fries. It literally made me sick to my stomach. Even Marie Callendars had suffered the same fate. I got the broccoli and cheese. It was good a few times. The next time I got it I felt sick. Another Marie Callendars I got was like Italian sausage pasta. That was my favorite of the TV dinners. Last time I got it granted I didn't get sick but it tasted like plastic.
I know why they are changing ingredients on us but it's still wrong. I'm sure the reason is because it's cheaper for them to make these nearly inedible products so the ingredients are cheaper quality. Question is like I said how does anyone stand eating some of those? It can't be just me and my personal taste.

The problem is I don't cook and my mom does but she's not like a chef who can make her own ingredients or anything so I try to stick to the casual restaurants on a regular basis but even they aren't affordable sometimes. There's only one brand of TV dinner I get now but I am tired of even that. I just don't have anything else to have alone since I don't cook.
The other dilemma is everyone is different. For instance I can no longer digest orange juice but I can drink orange soda for some reason. I can't digest toast on white bread or donuts for the same reason I suppose but I can eat hamburger on a hamburger roll. I like cucumbers and celery but the more I eat them the more hungry I get to the point I can't stand it. A doctor once had me take fiber supplements because they thought I needed more fiber. It made my stomach hurt so I thought okay maybe it will be okay in a more natural setting so I drank a shake with chia seeds in it. It also made my stomach hurt. I can eat Raisin Bran though. It must be the amount of fiber but still.. I'll give you another for instance. One time I had to do chicken salad for work which I would presume was healthy but just the smell of it made me sick.
There was even a few times I ate a banana and I didn't feel good doing that but I can drink banana milk.
Availability is also a factor. There's tea I sometimes drink that I can only get at Wegman's. You can make your own I suppose but it's nice to have the prepared bottle. I also no longer drink plain cow's milk (or chocolate) just mainly the banana milk so sometimes I will go without milk because I'm the only one who drinks goat's milk and it might go bad if I get more. They only sell the goat's milk at Walmart or Wegman's and sometimes we're not going out that far at Walmart or Walmart is out of it. I could get the banana but I'm not always in the mood for it.
Most of the time I also have to eat every 4 hours or I will get ridiculously sick. I start feeling like passing out and my stomach will hurt so bad so waiting to cook might be a problem.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What is culturally acceptable to eat elsewhere is not my concern. That said both dogs and dolphins are very intelligent creatures in particular the dolphin. The dog holds a special place in human history because it was the first domesticated animal and used for hunting, guarding and later on herding.

Trying to compare either to a cow is bit absurd.
Pigs are highly intelligent too.

But we eat bacon.

Just sayin'.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
I don't even know if it is the food industry as much as it is people constantly going out to eat.

In the 1990s there was alot of processed food, but people didn't go out eat nearly as much of these days.

1990s were big on processed food but I don't remember as much going out to eat. Most people seemed much healthier then even though the quality of food most consumed was going down.

In 2017, grocery stores have lots of really nice, healthy food and yet people are running to caloric-laden expensive restaurant meals that are several times the price.

I think the amount of restaurant food that millennials eat is going to cause big health issues for a large percentage of the population in the next decade.

700-800 calorie milkshakes with coffee at coffee houses and pastry in the morning, followed by ordering lunch on an app and take-out because many millennials are exhausted after a long day of sitting in a chair will be that generations downfall, in my opinion.

There is a huge health crisis from a large segment of millennials who are addicted to eating two huge restaurant meals plus 800 calorie milkshakes and 400 calorie pastry's in the morning.

I have bland tastes myself and am satisfied with oatmeal in the morning, dairy and salad for lunch and salad at night. I do buy coffee at restaurants and sometimes a bagel with butter but that is my limit on food at restaurants.

Of course home-cooked, healthy meals with lots of fruits and veggies is the best but I don't remember so much of societies health taking as much as of a decline in the 1990s when people ate processed food at home.

Better to meat a 300-500 calorie frozen dinner or frozen pizza slice than a 2,000 calorie, expensive supper at a restaurant that gloats about huge portions with appetizers and deserts.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Pigs are highly intelligent too.

But we eat bacon.

Just sayin'.
I was going to mention that but bacon is just so damn good.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
so the food police are at it again. if you want a healthy diet you have to stop eating all kinds of food that people have been eating for thousands of years.

red meat is bad for you, eggs are bad for you, sugar is bad for you, butter is bad, margarine is bad, milk is bad, pasta is bad, then good, then bad again, salt is bad preservatives are bad, soy is good/bad, etc. etc. etc.

in fact according to the food police the only diet that is good for you is a vegan diet, where the vegetables are purely organically grown and eaten raw.

but lets have a little reality check here shall we? none of the above foods is really bad for you, lets take eggs for instance. back in the 40s(i think) eggs were determined to be bad for you. but they didnt tell anyone how they can to that determination. turns out what they did was powder the eggs, then rehydrate them, and then feed them to subjects in quantities that the average person would NEVER eat. and i mean something like ten thousand calories per day in just eggs. then they tested for cholesterol, and found that it went through the roof.

many many years later however, it was found that powdered eggs are in fact bad for you, but non powdered eggs in NORMAL quantities were just fine, in fact were healthy for you.

back in the old days spaghetti was bad for you, then it was called pasta and was healthy for you, then it was bad for you again.

another one was the sugar substitute saccharin. it was determined that it was bad by feeding white mice 3000 times the amount a normal human being would consume over their lifetime in a few months. in fact, the average human would have had to consume something like thee thousand cans of what ever diet beverage that contained saccharin ever DAY to get approach the amounts given the mice, and we wonder why the mice got cancer?

the point here is people that the amounts used in feeding lab mice is no where near the amounts the average person will eat in a lifetime.

is sugar bad? not is normal amounts, too much is bad for you, just like too much salt is bad for you.

but lets say you completely cut sugar out of your diet, you would STILL have sugar in your body because the body converts various things to sugar to feed your bodies cells.

as for the various forms of sugar, sucrose, dextrose, fructose, etc. again none of them are bad for you in proper amounts, its when you go overboard with consuming sugar of any type that you run into problems. for the average person a couple of cokes per day is not going to harm you, but if you were to drink say a twelve pack per day, them you may as well start preparing to deal with diabetes.

the key here is moderation. as s diabetic on dialysis i can tell you that the body doesnt care where things comes from, it only cares how much is there.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:07 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
No... wheat, rice, potatoes,
Come on. There is nothing bad about these.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

the key here is moderation. .
Bingo...all this nonsense of what is good or bad for you is just that...NONSENSE. Its portion size and moderation that will give you a healthy longer life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies