Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 01:04 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Too bad the murder rates based on population do not support you claim.

Then add suburban commuters and the 50 million annual overnight visitors/ tourists and you begin to grasp the silliness of your remark.
Yet no one includes St Louis' suburban commuters or any of the land outside the 62 sq mi that make up the core city. Chicago just happened to be allowed to annex 4x the land area of St Louis. Include the innermost 62 sq mi of Chicago only, like other cities such as St Louis and Baltimore do, and their rates would shoot through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
How many cities with populations of 1 million or more have an influx of 50 million overnight visitors a year?
There is no city in the world with that many. That is more than London, Paris, and New York combined, and double Bangkok, the most visited city in the world.
https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-c...dex-Report.pdf

GDCI puts them at 2.08M visitors per year. A lot, but nowhere close to 50M.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:11 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
False narrative. Murders in Chicago are overwhelmingly correlated to gang affiliation and a much lesser extent poverty. If you join a gang, you've just increased your likelihood of being murdered by several orders of magnitude.

I would also point out that many of the cities with the highest murder and violent crime rates, far higher than Chicago's, are located in red states. Republicans in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.
Republicans don't control the cities with high crime rates like New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis, Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Baton Rouge even if they're in so called red states....every one of the high crime cities in the US have Democrat Mayors.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here are the most dangerous cities in order from most dangerous:

Most Dangerous Cities In The United States - WorldAtlas.com

1. Baltimore
2. Detroit
3. New Orleans
4. Kansas City
5. Cleveland
6. Memphis
7. Newark
8. St. Lewis
9. Chicago
10. Milwaukee
Arent most if not all of these Democratic ran?

There goes the narrative of the OP.. blown with one small statistic..

Old 10-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I did not say that. Do not even think about putting words in my mouth, or attributing to me ugly things I didn't even imply.

I didn't say it was fine. I know there are dangerous areas in Chicago. I was simply agreeing with the poster who said that most crime in Chicago is gang-related (which is still tragic), and trying to debunk the ridiculous idea that only the rich, white suburbs are anything but a damn war zone.

There are people on here who talk like the moment you set foot in the city, you've slapped a target on your back, and it simply isn't true.
You had no problem with the OP claiming we republicans are fine with it, did you?

Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That does not excuse someone accusing me of not caring about black people simply for relating my personal experience in Chicago. I will not stand for that.
Show me this outrage towards the op who had no problem making such accusation against half of america and i'll retract my statement, until then, you stating you wont stand for it is not true, because clearly you do, provided its not directed towards you..

Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
How many cities with populations of 1 million or more have an influx of 50 million overnight visitors a year?
So you're suggesting visitors are going to Chicago to kill people?

Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 PM

524 posts, read 252,016 times
If anything this thread is an example of just how gullible left wing democrats really are. Chicago is a cesspool of crime and corruption. They would elect Al Capone for mayor if he were still around because they would think he is 'cool'.

That is the trouble with left-wingers they do things because they think they are cool and not because they actually are productive or prudent.

There is an obvious correlation with them doing things because they are 'cool' and gullibility in the political realm. Hollywood is a big part of it.

Republicans are gullible mostly because of religion. Democrats are gullible mostly because they believe what the media tells them because they are unable to think critically. Why are they continuously unable to think critically and independently being the question of the century.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:46 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
If anything this thread is an example of just how gullible left wing democrats really are. Chicago is a cesspool of crime and corruption. They would elect Al Capone for mayor if he were still around because they would think he is 'cool'.

That is the trouble with left-wingers they do things because they think they are cool and not because they actually are productive or prudent.

There is an obvious correlation with them doing things because they are 'cool' and gullibility in the political realm. Hollywood is a big part of it.

Republicans are gullible mostly because of religion. Democrats are gullible mostly because they believe what the media tells them because they are unable to think critically. Why are they continuously unable to think critically and independently being the question of the century.
Another poster who probably never set foot in Chicago.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here are the most dangerous cities in order from most dangerous:

Most Dangerous Cities In The United States - WorldAtlas.com

1. Baltimore
2. Detroit
3. New Orleans
4. Kansas City
5. Cleveland
6. Memphis
7. Newark
8. St. Lewis
9. Chicago
10. Milwaukee
And #1 Baltimore is so much smaller than Chicago, you can draw a contiguous area completely inside of Chicago that has about twice the population of Baltimore and a commensurate murder rate. Chicago is simply massive and has many nice areas that levels out the horrific blight and murders in vast other stretches of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies