Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:12 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Nice thread. Or rather, was a nice thread at the beginning. Too bad a scant few have to try to ruin it.

/thread
There sure are a lot of sour people who didn't have happy, healthy childhoods. I love all of our conveniences now but am glad I grew up when I did, a few years after the hippie era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 03:58 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Every time I hear songs from that era I'm reminded about times where music was music and artist were great because of their music and not because they tried to be the one telling us how to think and act and who to hate or who to love.

We had great fashion models who became so famous that many people knew their names.

We read what was called the gossip magazines to read about their lives but not who they protested. We wanted to know what their homes looked like and what clothes they wear.

They didn't tell us to make the planet more clean while they were causing themselves the most gas on a private plane. They knew their lives were special without preaching others.

Many seem to agree with me as when I'm some where and music from the 70's-80's is played then strangers will often say how great the music and times were.

Nowadays there are many music artist that try to be famous for dressing weird and hardly able to sing.

Of course we have great artists today and aside a few there are too many who feel that when they make it, they feel they become our parents and can tell us who to like, hate and who to protest!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Nice thread. Or rather, was a nice thread at the beginning. Too bad a scant few have to try to ruin it.

/thread
Ruin it how? By pointing out that art and music have been political for as long as there have been art and music? I'm sorry to pop anyone's little nostalgia bubble, but the era that was mentioned as being free of politics in entertainment was one of the most tempestuous of the 20th century.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:42 AM

35,696 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When we grew up we didn't have many TV channels and mostly listened to songs on the radio and judged music by music and not because of who the people were.

Motown was fantastic and great! Nobody around us ever mentioned the color of artist but what they were wearing and if others wanted to buy their songs or tape them from the radio.

Movies were great and award shows were fabulous and about honoring great actors and movies.

It seems this is all gone.

Very sad for the ones in Hollywood and the music world who believe in great music for all people regardless their background and want to stay away from politics.

Many times, I wish we could go back to these times!
MAn stop living in the past !! Those days are gone,,, it will NEVER EVER be that again and that kind of thinking is considered an obstruction- for our kids future-- let it go -- it is their time, and soon we will be 6 ft under or won't care a squat-

let it go!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Growing up in the 60's and 70's the world was our playground. We weren't afraid of the police, neighbors really knew each other, and we all loved baseball.
The reality is a bit different. Cops got away with more. No cellphone cameras and the media had their backs.
We did know our neighbors better and every kid seemed to love to play baseball. We played outside a lot more and enjoyed nature more. Kids were less political as in early teens and younger.
I miss my youth, but then like most I tend to only remember the fun times.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:37 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
There sure are a lot of sour people who didn't have happy, healthy childhoods. I love all of our conveniences now but am glad I grew up when I did, a few years after the hippie era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Ruin it how? By pointing out that art and music have been political for as long as there have been art and music? I'm sorry to pop anyone's little nostalgia bubble, but the era that was mentioned as being free of politics in entertainment was one of the most tempestuous of the 20th century.
And I would not have commented as I had, if something had not been brought up by some in the first place. It is not about having had "happy, healthy childhoods" or not, just because some recognize how things have turned in recent months. It's not that it "seems" so much is gone, but that a lot IS gone with progress, naturally experiencing changes over the years, just as technology has altered much that will never be reversed. We know how much has evolved just in the last 20 years. In simpler times, certain aspects would have been...well, simpler, as described. The sad thing is, what has stuck around to a degree are negative elements not yet eradicated.

If we are supposed to discuss how great "our" music was, that's one thing.. it was also a time of evolvement and a period of change that continued from the '60's on. As a teen and young adult, it felt we "were getting over the hump", that racism was becoming a thing of the past. Then, there would be incidents that felt like setbacks. Unfortunately, there have still been those who have resisted acceptance of others, which has caused problems, seeing evidence of this cropping up in recent months.

I have consistently watched Movies and Awards shows since I was a pre-teen, with movies and actors still being honored, today. So, what is different? In later years, including at Music Awards shows, they began being used for some as a platform to express feelings regarding injustices. With so much being intertwined these days, this has seemingly become a natural evolution of public self-expression.

In recent months, with negative aspects having erupted, should those affected by this just think about rainbows and pretend nothing is wrong? Are we to just become reflective and recall how different things were at one time in comparison? (If young at that time, things were impacting us differently, also). This was placed in "Politics and other Controversies", after all. I am not even certain what the OP is getting at with this, except maybe not wanting to hear others expressing feelings regarding right and wrong.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
When we grew up we didn't have many TV channels and mostly listened to songs on the radio and judged music by music and not because of who the people were.

Motown was fantastic and great! Nobody around us ever mentioned the color of artist but what they were wearing and if others wanted to buy their songs or tape them from the radio.

Movies were great and award shows were fabulous and about honoring great actors and movies.

Very sad for the ones in Hollywood and the music world who believe in great music for all people regardless their background and want to stay away from politics.

Geez.

I just was researching some piano music from the 40s and found out that this song and that song (which just sound kind of happy or whatever) were really anti-war songs...

Ever been to the opera?
Do you know about this guy named Shakespeare?

I mean, are you serious? Art (of any kind) has always had some measure of politics in it.

I guess ignorance really is bliss...

Old 10-22-2017, 07:48 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Vietnam split apart a lot of people, families, communities. Music was politicized back then and so were movies. You were either for War or against it. Nixon resigned, pretty traumatic for country. Lots of dirt back then, too. LBJ was controversial, Kennedy, too. W/ time and hindsight, we see things differently, that's all. Now, it's 24/7 in your face w/ social media and news on day in and day out.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I had a very happy, healthy childhood during the 50s. That doesn't mean that I wasn't aware of the political goings-on during the 60s and 70s when I was in college and beginning my work career. I was certainly aware of the race riots in Baltimore in 1968 because we could see the fires burning from my childhood home. I was aware of the Vietnam protests because they took place on my college campus. Being aware of current social and political movements is a valuable tool for a person to be able to evaluate their significance and decide if their precepts are ones that one wants to accept or reject. Looking back on events and just glossing over them is ignorance of history in this country.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
Quote:

There has always been politics in music. Its just that when you're younger, you don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies