Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:48 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I copied this from a Current Events thread since controversy is, correctly, not encouraged there.

What he did was heroic. I am troubled by the very real prospect that he may face murder charges. The dead burglar had 20 prior arrests. Whatever "society" was doing about the perpetrator was not working.

There are people who think that doing anything effectual about crime is wrong. See post quoted below.
Is his family compensating the deceased guys family for all the stuff he would have stolen the next few decades, in order to "make them whole"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All I’ll say on this is that a 14 year old has taken a life. Look at it in those terms. He has to live with this, and that’s a lot for a 14 year old to carry around.

That this went down this way is a damn shame for this kid, and I feel sorry for him.

That’s all I’ve got to say about it.
In the video, he didn't seem all that shaken up by the incident. Just because taking a life would weigh heavy on you doesn't mean that it would on this kid. His mom was beaming with pride. He'll probably get a lot of positive attention from this incident at school. I doubt that he'll lose a lot of sleep over it.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:30 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Did the child run a report on the perpetrator before killing him?
Would something be different if the perpetrator had had 0 arrests? Or 100?
Also
He most likely would have had many more arrests if he had lived.
No, he was in the process of turning his life around, as was Michael Brown. </sarcasm>

Old 10-22-2017, 08:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
In the video, he didn't seem all that shaken up by the incident. Just because taking a life would weigh heavy on you doesn't mean that it would on this kid. His mom was beaming with pride. He'll probably get a lot of positive attention from this incident at school. I doubt that he'll lose a lot of sleep over it.
People who understand right from wrong, aggression from non-aggression wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over a self-defense killing.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
No, he was in the process of turning his life around, as was Michael Brown. </sarcasm>
Another gentle giant!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see why you're even bothering to post this. No duh the best thing would be that no one ever came to violate this family, thereby putting a kid in a bad situation.

But what else was the kid supposed to do?
Two guys had broken into his home and were beating up on his family.

So who cares what the best case scenario is? That was already eliminated and he has the second best case scenario.

Yes. It's obvious that the best thing for everyone is if people don't have to hurt someone. But that's not the world we live in.

Literally YOUR post is the one with the least meaning because you're sad about something that could not have been prevented by anyone but the burglars.
To put things in perspective.

To cast light on the ridiculousness of posts like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
When he turns 21 I'll buy him beer all night.
This is not an event to be celebrated. It's a tragedy. Not the worst possible outcome, but a tragedy nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He most likely would have had many more arrests if he had lived.
So? What does that have to do with kid's reaction? You know, the context in which that idiot post was made.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

This is not an event to be celebrated. It's a tragedy. Not the worst possible outcome, but a tragedy nonetheless.
It is neither a celebration, nor a tragedy. The kid simply did what needed to be done, to eliminate a risk to his loved ones. In doing so, he no doubt saved dozens or hundreds of future victims from suffering at the hands of the monster he killed in self defense.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yeah, the video usually tells the whole story, doesn’t it?

A 14 year old just killed a man. With a knife. And you’re gonna sit here and tell me that this is akin to him having a glass of water when I doubt that you’ve even been in so much as a hard fistfight. And if you were, you probably lost. Badly.

Get real. Life goes on when the cameras go off, and you haven’t the faintest idea what’s gonna happen to this kid.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Life of a criminal dirtbag. Did society a favor. I hope he feels no shame at all. What he did is %1000 right.

When he turns 21 I'll buy him beer all night.
What’s your point? No one said that the kid did something bad. No one said that the criminal was Mother Teresa.

I said that a 14 year old BOY has just killed a man with a knife. You think that’s some kinda joke with your babbling about buying him a beer at 21?

This is a real tragedy. It’s not a game when a BOY has to kill a grown ass man by stabbing him. Grown men who take lives in war where killing is justified, often find it difficult to come to terms with their actions.

But you guys think that it’s great that a 14 year old boy just killed a man. Unreal.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:24 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is neither a celebration, nor a tragedy. The kid simply did what needed to be done, to eliminate a risk to his loved ones. In doing so, he no doubt saved dozens or hundreds of future victims from suffering at the hands of the monster he killed in self defense.
It's a child who took the life of another human

It's a tragedy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies