Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Jimmy Carter courageusly goes against his Democratic brethren on numerous subjects

thoughts?
Well I went straight to the source (NY Times) given in your link,so I could read a less filtered account of the Carter interview. I think the most important thing Carter said is this:

“I’m afraid, too, of a situation,” he [Carter] said. “I don’t know what they’ll do. Because they want to save their regime. And we greatly overestimate China’s influence on North Korea. Particularly to Kim Jong-un. He’s never, so far as I know, been to China.” (Who knows if he made a surreptitious trip.) Carter continued, “And they have no relationship. Kim Jong-il did go to China and was very close to them.”

He [Carter] said that the “unpredictable” Kim Jong-un makes him more nervous than his father, Kim Jong-il, and that if the young leader thinks Trump will act against him, he could do something pre-emptive. “I think he’s now got advanced nuclear weaponry that can destroy the Korean Peninsula and Japan, and some of our outlying territories in the Pacific, maybe even our mainland,” Carter explained.

Obviously, Carter is as upset as everyone else by the childish manner in which Trump has been indulging in an exchange of name calling and saber rattling with crazy man Kim Jong-un. Carter feels that diplomacy is better than escalation when it comes to a country with nukes and a nut job dictator. It's not so much that Carter longs to work for the Trump admin, but rather that he'd like a shot at preventing an exchange of nuclear attacks.

As for the rest, Carter is a genuine Christian, NOT some wild-eyed fundamentalist - he's just not going to attack his successors in some mean spirited fashion. Plus he's 93 and just had brain surgery two years ago, for Dog's sake. He hasn't been at the top of his game for some years now.

I do find it amusing that the right is now doing what they attacked the left for doing - approving the words of a president from a different party now that they are in sync with their own.

Theoretically, the left is now in love with GW Bush, you guys are now in love with Jimmy Carter.

We live in strange times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 03:52 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well I went straight to the source (NY Times) given in your link,so I could read a less filtered account of the Carter interview. I think the most important thing Carter said is this:

“I’m afraid, too, of a situation,” he [Carter] said. “I don’t know what they’ll do. Because they want to save their regime. And we greatly overestimate China’s influence on North Korea. Particularly to Kim Jong-un. He’s never, so far as I know, been to China.” (Who knows if he made a surreptitious trip.) Carter continued, “And they have no relationship. Kim Jong-il did go to China and was very close to them.”

He [Carter] said that the “unpredictable” Kim Jong-un makes him more nervous than his father, Kim Jong-il, and that if the young leader thinks Trump will act against him, he could do something pre-emptive. “I think he’s now got advanced nuclear weaponry that can destroy the Korean Peninsula and Japan, and some of our outlying territories in the Pacific, maybe even our mainland,” Carter explained.

Obviously, Carter is as upset as everyone else by the childish manner in which Trump has been indulging in an exchange of name calling and saber rattling with crazy man Kim Jong-un. Carter feels that diplomacy is better than escalation when it comes to a country with nukes and a nut job dictator. It's not so much that Carter longs to work for the Trump admin, but rather that he'd like a shot at preventing an exchange of nuclear attacks.

As for the rest, Carter is a genuine Christian, NOT some wild-eyed fundamentalist - he's just not going to attack his successors in some mean spirited fashion. Plus he's 93 and just had brain surgery two years ago, for Dog's sake. He hasn't been at the top of his game for some years now.

I do find it amusing that the right is now doing what they attacked the left for doing - approving the words of a president from a different party now that they are in sync with their own.

Theoretically, the left is now in love with GW Bush, you guys are now in love with Jimmy Carter.

We live in strange times.

Yeah you have to be a senile old man to think Dems crying about the election being stolen by Russia is ridiculousness

Old 10-22-2017, 04:16 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Hillary just put Jimmy on her hit list.
LOL, probably correct

Old 10-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I don’t know. What is the party that controls all 3 branches of the government doing?

governing

Old 10-22-2017, 04:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And Conservatives just put him on their 10 best Presidents list.
no, he was still a horrible president, but he is someone to be respected.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
I’ve met the President on 2 occasions and he is an admirable and honorable man. That being said I do agree with some of what he said. However I disagree with his opinion on Obama and his promises. When he made them he didn’t know that he would run up against a virulent opposition that was against everything he tried to do and who put power above country.
Kind of like it is today, don't you think?

Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
governing
Ok, then you own it. Good to know.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Trump would have won the election regardless, but that doesn't mean Trump's campaign didn't collude with Russians to influence the election. It's pretty clear that Russia attempted to influence our election, whether they were successful or not doesn't excuse it.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:30 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Kind of like it is today, don't you think?
See my above post.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, then you own it. Good to know.
Happy to own it.

MAGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies