Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should More Murder Suspects Die During Arrests? (please give reasons on thread)
Yes, their trial is an utter waste 15 12.20%
No, we learn a lot about psychology from the trials 0 0%
No, they might be innocent 22 17.89%
No, they might be good people 0 0%
No, no matter what everyone deserves a trial 86 69.92%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times

Advertisements

What if you were suspected of heinous crimes you didn't commit there OP should the police not bother arresting you and just got "rid of you quietly" because it would be a waste of time....didn't think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 12:55 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Jesus, wtf is wrong with some people?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
^^^^^
People treat this as a simple issue. It isn't. If we had a trial the length of James Holmes', for example, for all obviously guilty defendant the system would seize up and not function. And I am only talking about killing people in Holmes-like situations, where the person is caught either during a massacre or so close to its end that they still reek of gunpowder or, in his case, his apartment was pre-armed with tripwires and explosive devices.

An earlier version of this post mentioned Charles Manson. I have changed my mind there since he was caught by detective work. Also he personally killed no one. In short, there was something to try. In the case of Holmes, Lochner and Rooff all there is to "try" is their descent into madness or depravity.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Even the worst, most violent and despotic dictatorships do this, and then usually only in times of open conflict.

So no.

I am also opposed to the death penalty, in general, but if we have to have it, I do think that a more expeditious route from sentencing to carrying out the final penalty should be streamlined in cases where the guilt of the perpetrator is evident absolutely and without doubt.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
It seems to me that jbgusa would prefer a life under ISIS, where people are arbitrarily shot in the streets, or thrown from the roofs of buildings.

We are a nation of laws, not street justice. It's called civilization.

If a killer doesn't perish when arrested, the cops can't just kill him on the spot because we are a civilized nation that follows the laws we have made to govern ourselves.

Why even concern yourself with their conduct after arrest and conviction? They will never harm you or yours, or anyone else outside our prison walls.

Buddy, the Manson trials were almost 50 years ago and were a singular event. What's big deal? Charlie is now 80, in a wheelchair, and will die behind bars. There have been no theatrics out of him for decades. And it's not like we go through something like him all the time. We don't.

The trials were no mockery. All the perps were convicted and are still in prison. How's that a mockery? That's no mockery. That's American justice at work.

Roof got the death sentence. Berkowitz will die behind bars. The others you mentioned will, too.

It seems to me that if you want your justice served up hot, quick and bloody, you ought to move to somewhere in the world where that happens. There are plenty of places you can move to for it.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It seems to me that jbgusa would prefer a life under ISIS, where people are arbitrarily shot in the streets, or thrown from the roofs of buildings....It seems to me that if you want your justice served up hot, quick and bloody, you ought to move to somewhere in the world where that happens. There are plenty of places you can move to for it.
That's a long stretch between a massacre artist caught in the act and a person arbitrary being thrown off cliffs.

[quote=banjomike;49910093]The trials were no mockery. All the perps were convicted and are still in prison. How's that a mockery? That's no mockery. That's American justice at work.

Quote:
Roof got the death sentence. Berkowitz will die behind bars. The others you mentioned will, too.
This is a mockery; Kathy Boudin - The Columbia School of Social Work. She was one of the group that murdered police officers and armed guards. Don't even try telling me this is justice.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:20 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

This is a mockery; She was one of the group that murdered police officers and armed guards. Don't even try telling me this is justice.
SO?

it isn't a mockery, it's exactly how the system worked for her. She is an example of the system, she did her time and is doing better things. She paid her debt to society and is now trying to better things for those exiting the system, and you begrudge her?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Jesus, wtf is wrong with some people?
Keep in mind this person's vote counts sake as yours...

Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Is this really a serious question?

The only time a suspect should be killed is if they present an imminent threat to others and is so immediate that deadly force is the most logical response.

BTW, the poll choices kind of suck, and none worked for me.
Me neither.

Just what we need, a bunch of Che Guevara's running around executing people

Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
[quote=jbgusa;49910586]That's a long stretch between a massacre artist caught in the act and a person arbitrary being thrown off cliffs.

Quote:
The trials were no mockery. All the perps were convicted and are still in prison. How's that a mockery? That's no mockery. That's American justice at work.

This is a mockery; Kathy Boudin - The Columbia School of Social Work. She was one of the group that murdered police officers and armed guards. Don't even try telling me this is justice.
It doesn't matter what I think of Boudin's sentence.
She was found guilty, was sentenced, did her time, and that's how the law works. She paid the penalty.

Most folks who go to prison get out eventually, no matter what their crime was.

Did I agree with her sentence? No.
But I didn't think the trial was a mockery, either.

Like I said before, if you don't like the system of justice we have here, there are other countries where the justice is not like ours. Choose your place and go be happy at last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies