Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

I'm halfway through the video and I'm not seeing anything other than civil discourse between two bright people.

What are you talking about?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
This was an interesting listen, and I was happy to see a mature discussion from them both (David Packman shows are usually good in that regard).

I think the disagreement at the end is an important one.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
I posted a 19 minute video 6 minutes ago and you already have a conclusion?

OK, LOL, you sure refuted it.
OK, LOL, you posted a 19 minute video which does not show Shapiro getting destroyed. That you have to make things up in order to defend "your side" is telling.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Despite Shapiro's fast talking, the Youtuber had him stumbling all over his own arguments by using Shapiro's own statements.

Many on the right hold up Shapiro as this great intellectual mind but it seems like many other conservative pundits he's full of crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTA2105xumQ
30 seconds in, the guy is telling me that Shapiro's remarks are "racially tinged" because he observes that gun violence is largely a problem of "urban sons of single mothers". How can I take seriously a commentator who is offended by simple demographic information? Why should I waste any more time watching that video?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
30 seconds in, the guy is telling me that Shapiro's remarks are "racially tinged" because he observes that gun violence is largely a problem of "urban sons of single mothers". How can I take seriously a commentator who is offended by simple demographic information? Why should I waste any more time watching that video?
Maybe because he didn't say he felt they were "racially tinged" and was instead just commenting on the fact that some people took his comments that way.

But whatever. Have your opinion of the video without watching the video. That makes sense.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Maybe because he didn't say he felt they were "racially tinged" and was instead just commenting on the fact that some people took his comments that way.
Watch it again.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:

Many of the trolls and trumpers don't bother to read posts or view videos, they just write a quick childish response.

They hate to really discuss policy or politics in general, they are not even interested in what the agenda of the GOP is they think politics is a sport. Much like we saw poeple fighting over apple and Microsoft 10 years ago... they confused phones with football. Well we have the same thing with Trumpism.

These folk won't last though, the old ones are going senile and will have forgotten their kids names in a few years and the young ones don't have the numbers.

The GOP has sold its soul to buy a few years...

Old 10-24-2017, 09:07 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

Maybe they've already watched that video on youtube. That is a possibility.

Shapiro has a lot of loyal fans, just sayin'

Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Watch it again.
His quote:

Quote:
This week we're going back to January of 2013, when Ben Shaprio Joined me. Conservative pundit, activist, journalist, call it what you will; Ben Shapiro. The topic was guns and just trying to find some way to bridge the left/right gap; to reduce gun related deaths, and he made a number of comments during this interview that a lot of people didn't really like, including the sort of racially tinged suggestions, that it's urban sons of single mothers that are the problem when it comes to gun violence.
Perhaps I should amend my comment slightly: that comment is "racially tinged." Saying "urban sons of single mothers" is likely to conjure up images of mostly young black men. I don't think making note of that is unreasonable, and I don't think reasonable people will take that to mean much else.

And reasonable is important. There will be people who will think Ben Shapiro is racist no matter what, jus like there will be people who will accuse people of being offended to avoid debate (that's what you did!!! ). So, I guess if you're taking that angle, fine. But also, I don't think this guy is trying to turn people away from Shapiro, I think he was setting the stage for what people were about to watch (which was a well reasoned debate between to smart people [I guess I know more about Shapiro; the other guy seemed sensible though], just talking about an issue and putting some ideas out there). If you can't watch a video because he made a comment you took as an attempt to misrepresent Shapiro, fine. But don't mock others for being "offended." The video is well worth the watch, and you're missing out by not watching it out of some self righteous moral high ground you feel you're taking.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
His quote:

Perhaps I should amend my comment slightly: that comment is "racially tinged." Saying "urban sons of single mothers" is likely to conjure up images of mostly young black men. I don't think making note of that is unreasonable, and I don't think reasonable people will take that to mean much else.

And reasonable is important. There will be people who will think Ben Shapiro is racist no matter what, jus like there will be people who will accuse people of being offended to avoid debate (that's what you did!!! ). So, I guess if you're taking that angle, fine. But also, I don't think this guy is trying to turn people away from Shapiro, I think he was setting the stage for what people were about to watch (which was a well reasoned debate between to smart people [I guess I know more about Shapiro; the other guy seemed sensible though], just talking about an issue and putting some ideas out there). If you can't watch a video because he made a comment you took as an attempt to misrepresent Shapiro, fine. But don't mock others for being "offended." The video is well worth the watch, and you're missing out by not watching it out of some self righteous moral high ground you feel you're taking.
I'm not offended... just observing that he opens with the "racially tinged" remark, which precludes any serious discussion of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies