Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The fertility rate in Japan is 1.46. To maintain population a country needs a fertility rate of 2.3. Japan does not allow migration. The only solution is to encourage couples to have more kids. Without children the future is poor.
There are a little over 2 million foreigners living in Japan, myself among them. But it's true that the number of immigrants is not enough to maintain the population level. Personally, I don't think declining population is as big a problem as the loss of social cohesion resulting from the kind of mass immigration we see in Europe and North America. Japan is wise to remain 98% Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm glad she is suing and I hope this gets them to change this ridiculous rule. Look up PPD reaction images, people HAVE died from hair dye, and irritation and rash is the first sign of an escalating reaction.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm glad she is suing and I hope this gets them to change this ridiculous rule. Look up PPD reaction images, people HAVE died from hair dye, and irritation and rash is the first sign of an escalating reaction.
The rule is simply: no dying your hair. In Japan dyed blonde hair used to be something only youth gang types did. It became mainstream in the '90s but schools want to hold students to traditional standards. I think it's reasonable.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The rule is simply: no dying your hair. In Japan dyed blonde hair used to be something only youth gang types did. It became mainstream in the '90s but schools want to hold students to traditional standards. I think it's reasonable.
No dying your hair is a school rule I can get behind.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You are misrepresenting the situation. It is not the school's policy to make students change their natural hair color. This is simply a dispute over whether the girl already dyed her hair a lighter color, or not.
Ummm....how am I misrepresenting the BBC article.

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Apparently many schools, including 60% of schools in Tokyo, require student's hair to be black. It is common to require proof from baby pictures if your hair is not naturally black.

One school forced a girl with natural brown hair to dye her hair. She claims it has caused scalp and hair damage and is now suing the school for nearly $20,000.

I get wanting basic standards to support a learning environment, but this seems a bit oppressive, too conformist and without any educational gain.

Japan teen 'forced to dye hair black' for school - BBC News

Here are quotes from the article:

Quote:
Japan teen 'forced to dye hair black' for school

An 18-year-old Japanese girl is suing her local government after her school made her repeatedly dye her naturally-brown hair black, media reports say.

The girl says she was told she would have to leave the high school near Osaka if she did not comply with a rule requiring students' hair to be black.

It is being reported that she says the dye damaged her hair and her scalp.

Kaifukan high school said its policy was to ban students from dyeing or bleaching hair. The school's instruction to the girl to dye her hair was reportedly despite her mother telling the school that she was born with brownish hair."

The school forced her to dye her hair black. Her mother said that brown was her natural hair color and made her change her hair anyways. It literally says "she did not comply with a rule requiring students' hair to be black."

If I am misrepresenting what is happening, you need to blame the BBC - not me. Because the BBC point blank says that the school requires students' hair to be black and her mother vouched that brown was her natural hair color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, my opinions have changed from 4 years ago, and those 4 years ago I was a Republican. And your second post, shows you were more interested than just having a mere discussion, you were hinting at we should impose our beliefs onto them.
How convenient. You changed your opinions to allow you to comment, discuss, and opine on foreign issues - but get into a tizzy when someone else does it. Hypocrite.

If you sincerely think I was "hinting" at "imposing" my beliefs upon Japanese schools in my "second post" - I would ask you just how would I go about it in your version of reality. It seems as if someone brainwashed you into being overly sensitive if you have a problem with a teacher discussing a school policy that they disagree with anywhere in the world.

P.S. Isn't also hypocritical for you to screech that I must be fine with Muslims raping people in Africa because I comment on a Japanese school policy and then say I should only concern myself with issues in the US. After all, Muslims raping people in Africa is not inside the US. Hypocrite. Keep your illogical brainwashed rants straight.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Ummm....how am I misrepresenting the BBC article.

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon
Apparently many schools, including 60% of schools in Tokyo, require student's hair to be black.

The BBC article does not say that 60% of schools in Tokyo require students' hair to be black. It says they require proof that non-black hair is the natural hair color and not dyed:
Quote:
Earlier this year a survey by the Asahi Shimbun newspaper found that nearly 60% of high schools in the capital Tokyo asked students with light-coloured hair for proof that this was natural, for example by providing photographs of them as infants.
The rule is supposed to be about dying hair, not mandating black hair. It's possible that this school in Osaka may actually require black hair, but that isn't the norm in Japan, and I still think it is more likely that they just don't believe the student's mother. There are parents here who strongly oppose traditional dress codes and try to undermine them. My wife has an acquaintance who she knows dyed her kid's hair from age 3 and lied to the school about it.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Again, how many people does said countries require? One billion? 100 billion? Please inform us of the number of people a specific country requires.

If a retirement system or any system depends upon population growth, then it is the wrong system. The social security system seems to still have issues in the US despite the US population, despite decades of constant growth around 1%. Additionally, if population was so important, than heavily populated countries and high density countries like India and Bangladesh would be booming, while lower population and density countries like Sweden and New Zealand would be approaching third world status.
The actual population is not important. But, the balance between the old and the young is important. If there is a sudden drop in the fertility ate the population becomes too elderly and this places major stress on the young working population. Yes, one could say that after the elderly are gone there could be balance once again between old and young.

Please look at the census data regarding what population looks like in 2050:

Note how most of the world with the exception of Africa will be quite old. Why do you think Europeans allow young Muslim migrants into their countries? The Europeans have a very low fertility rate.

Secondly even places like India and Latin America are bringing down the fertility rate. No one can predict the future, but if the fertility rates continue to go down the 1960s predicted growth of world population may not happen. Look at the projection based on fertility rates. Note how the population may actually go down with fertility rates less than 2. Initially this may be a good thing, but eventually any species that fails to reproduce becomes extinct.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies