Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

If Gurriel, instead of calling Darvish a racial epithet, had called Curtis Granderson a racial epithet, there would have been more of a hubbub but ultimately nothing would have happened to him in that case either, and it would have been dismissed as no big deal. The rest of the country hates L.A. more than any other city, and the rest of the country is pro-Astros.

Now if Gurriel had been a Dodger and if Darvish had been an Astro, Gurriel would have already been severely punished.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
It is a Hispanic making a racial gesture and slur about an Asian, the MSM and the rest of the whack jobs do not care.

If it was a white guy making a racial gesture and slur about a black guy, it would have been blasted as front page news for days, along with protests, numerous opinion articles, and throw in some anti-Trump stuff somewhere.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:50 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is a Hispanic making a racial gesture and slur about an Asian, the MSM and the rest of the whack jobs do not care.

If it was a white guy making a racial gesture and slur about a black guy, it would have been blasted as front page news for days, along with protests, numerous opinion articles, and throw in some anti-Trump stuff somewhere.
That is why it should be: one rule for all, or no rule at all.

I just don't believe this is racism.

childish and poor taste, maybe insecurity. But racism? I don't think so.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Ahhh listening to white people tell people who are minorities what should and shouldn't be offensive to them. I guess tomorrow I'll go around calling white people 'honkeys', 'crackas', 'guineas', 'wops', 'dagos', 'peckerwoods', and just flat out 'basic'. They're just gestures and words hon, stop getting so offended!
Non-whites do call whites those names, and no one gives a darn. It just can't go the other way around in this country.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. We all know the USA is slowly getting less "lilly white".

My SO is mexican, irish and chinese.....my buddies kids are indian-norweigian-native american-hispanic.

And so on and so forth. So, we can't allow anybody to say...."Well I'm full blooded Chinese or any ethinicity so I can say "N*gger" or "k*ke" etc. because I'm a minority! Yay! Get of of trouble free! Just can't tolerate stupid. Clearly you have experienced the "well a white guy didn't say it so no harm no foul" bull**** that is in our culture.

So yeah, nobody should take ANY BS from someone else over their race\gender etc.

Me personally, I speak enough spanish to know when I've been insulted in the past, often assuming "white boy don't know" and I'd stick out my little finger and say chilito. Since they didn't deserve the "full bird".

5-game suspension is like a 3+% pay hit which for guys making that kind of money is still chump change. Ugh. Imagine if John Rocker were still in the league and did that....wtf. sigh.
There are those who think "I'm a minority, so I can get away with being racist". That does exist. One guy I worked with, who happened to be Black, tried to make that excuse of "they're Mexicans, they aren't racist". I thought "what a dupe. Anyone can be like this". The persons I dealt with who were making racist towards me didn't use the "I'm a minority" excuse. They were bold and didn't care.

Gurriel should be punished. I would say suspension from 30 regular season games next year, plus fines should send a message.

Funny that you mention how much Spanish you learned. I knew when I was being called racial slurs in Spanish. I let a few persons know that I knew this. It didn't matter to them.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:35 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times
It's a shame that he tarnished what has been a great WS so far. HAts off to Darvish. And yeah, if what Guriel did isn't racist I'm not sure what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies