Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The writer was pretty worked up, but her statements are correct. Roughly 90% of the most powerful positions are filled by white males.

As a woman who majored in the sciences, I can tell you for a fact that there's an undercurrent of sexism in may of the so-called "hard sciences" - physics, mathematics, etc.

However, the vast majority of women don't use this as an excuse to "stay in the basement and play video games." The white males who do this and cry discrimination are not being discriminated against - except for being lazy. Employers and everyone else generally don't consider laziness to be a positive personality attribute.

What about the millennial males who carelessly father 2 or 3 kids that they can't support? What's their excuse? Video game addiction?
Completely agree. Men don't seem to realize their laziness and increasing lack of education are going to come back to haunt them. At some point women will eventually stop being so passive about the dominant role men play in our society considering millions more women are attending college, doing the same jobs while making less money, raising the children, etc. At some point women will start standing up for themselves.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Completely agree. Men don't seem to realize their laziness and increasing lack of education are going to come back to haunt them. At some point women will eventually stop being so passive about the dominant role men play in our society considering millions more women are attending college, doing the same jobs while making less money, raising the children, etc. At some point women will start standing up for themselves.
Lol, I do not think anyone is fearing the armies of women holding gender studies or whatever other BS degree.

There are numerous other ways to make a living other than college. For example, where were the women at among all the electrical workers here in Florida after the hurricane? Out of the hundreds I saw, did not see a single woman among them. I am sure there are women workers, but they were present in an absurdly small number. I guess instead of getting a women studies degree and working at Starbucks or some low wage non-profit, they should have went into a lineman apprenticeship program and made some good money.

And enough of the pay difference BS, it has been debunked, and please show me where all the lawsuit/discrimination charges are supporting this. It is illegal to do, so I would expect EEOC filings to be happening.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:56 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Who cares?

Hillary Clinton has shown us that being a woman does not make you a superior politician. Hillary also seems to think that being a woman was some sort of qualification. It isn't

Old 10-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, I do not think anyone is fearing the armies of women holding gender studies or whatever other BS degree.

There are numerous other ways to make a living other than college. For example, where were the women at among all the electrical workers here in Florida after the hurricane? Out of the hundreds I saw, did not see a single woman among them. I am sure there are women workers, but they were present in an absurdly small number. I guess instead of getting a women studies degree and working at Starbucks or some low wage non-profit, they should have went into a lineman apprenticeship program and made some good money.

And enough of the pay difference BS, it has been debunked, and please show me where all the lawsuit/discrimination charges are supporting this. It is illegal to do, so I would expect EEOC filings to be happening.
How funny that the assumption is these millions of more women than men attending college are going for gender studies.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:08 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
I am just curious what the standing up would involve?

I have to admit, I am male and at times I can be lazy. I am not highly educated either.

I live near a major university and go to coffee places occasionally near the university. Many of these ambitious college women seem very stressed out trying to get ahead while coughing, sneezing and blowing their noses while taking that 15 to 18 credit hour semester.

Can't imagine how much they will be coughing, sneezing and blowing their nose in that high
power executive position with that travel while while raising 2 or 3 kids.

I would rather be a loser, slacker gamer dude living in a basement.

It seems like many women go to university and then graduate school. Then a majority will have 2 or 3 kids and to get ahead they spend a small fortune on day-care.

I have never wanted to get married or have children. I am constantly amazed at how stressed out these successful women are. Then again, balancing 2 or 3 kids while trying to balance a well over full-time career seems like it would be difficult.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Who cares?

Hillary Clinton has shown us that being a woman does not make you a superior politician. Hillary also seems to think that being a woman was some sort of qualification. It isn't
Actually, Republicans ran against Hillary Clinton as if being a woman was a disqualification. Woman attacked her hair, makeup, weight, pantsuits, cankles, age, wrinkles, her husband's lack of fidelity, Trump said he "wasn't impressed" when he saw her backside, etc. Instead they chose the man who was older, fatter and personally cheated instead of being the victim of cheating. Since women were just as anti-female as the men, since the women attacked her appearance as much as the men did, it's unlikely we will see a female president for decades or longer. But it doesn't hurt to acknowledge the reality. Maybe in a few decades women will get sick of being treated as second class citizens and stand up for themselves, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:19 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
While I would like to see more women achieving their career goals, more women in positions of power, the author is abusing the term emergency.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:20 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Women aren't doing the same jobs for less money. Women make less money, on average, than men do. That's not the same thing. Men work longer hours than women and have more years total work history than women, on average. Women and men generally choose different occupations. The most dangerous and physical laborious jobs are dominated by men. How is that lazy?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...E4H/story.html

Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
While I would like to see more women achieving their career goals, more women in positions of power, the author is abusing the term emergency.
Guess it depends on if one considers the actions of Ailes, O'Reilly, Weinstein, etc. as a major concern or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Women aren't doing the same jobs for less money. Women make less money, on average, than men do. That's not the same thing. Men work longer hours than women and have more years total work history than women, on average. Women and men generally choose different occupations. The most dangerous and physical laborious jobs are dominated by men. How is that lazy?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...E4H/story.html
That is demonstrably false. Men in a corporate position typically make more than women. Neither are physical jobs but men tend to be paid more. More men are promoted to manager positions. This is shown in wage studies constantly. This is not comparing a secretary with an oil driller. Look at congress, far more men than women elected. It all goes to the point that there are fewer women in leadership positions. Look at the GOP creating their "healthcare plan". They had NO WOMEN in their small committee. All men creating a plan that would apply to over 50% of the population.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times
Ladies and Gentleman take a look at the staff photo at Huffingtonpost:

http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-cont.../0rRyyn4-1.jpg

This is what they want offices to look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies