Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 AM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With affirmative action and the emphasis on "diversity and inclusion" in private industry, there is no reason for ANY black person to be out of a job.
Except for one thing. Even Blacks with college degrees have higher unemployment rates than Whites with college degrees. Affirmative action can work in getting a Black person into college. However, it won't guarantee a job, because women can also qualify for affirmative action. I had the "pleasure" of going to the GA Dept of Labor to file for unemployment insurance. There were certainly Blacks working there. However, I noticed something. The majority of Black people filing for unemployment were men. Majority of Blacks who were working at the office were women. Black men seem to have a hard time getting work, even when adjusting for qualifications.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 AM

30,131 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Jews are white and could change their name, which many of them did and shun their religion, which many of them did.

Due to the above, they could gain access to education and economic situations that would improve the lives of their families.

Blacks were denied a decent education nationwide and even prevented from wealth building until really the late 1970s/early 1980s. There were outliers of course, but not many because there were local laws across the country that denied blacks opportunities to become home owners in particular.
We are in 2017. Much of what you are talking about was in previous generations.

I used to have the original deed on a piece of land in California my family bought in the 1920's. It said on it could only be transferred to members of the Caucasian race. And this was California not Alabama. We sold the land and I was embarrassed to turn in the deed to the new owners.

The fair housing act was 1968. Even before that blacks could own homes. But they were relegated to certain neighborhoods.

At some point the excuses about what happened 50 years ago or more have to end.

People come from all sorts of situations. Some use that as the excuse for not doing well in life while others prosper in spite of their situation.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
The drug war is another great example, racism was the original intent of these laws, it was the most effective ways they could think of to discourage certain races from spending time in certain parts of the city, it was never about protecting anyones health or safety. The same thing is happening today. Im really surprised someone has not brought this up and call for the drug war to cease.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Why is the murder rate high in the Caribbean, why is it high in Brazil, why is it high in South Africa? Why is the black murder rate higher in these places than it is in countries like Ghana?

I submit to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmLtZHJRdQ

Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with this.

All sociological race groups commit crimes primarily against themselves.
No one disputes that.
Quote:
So the idea that black are more criminally prone to doing harm against each other is silly
I have never heard anyone claim that, ever. People who know that stats know that blacks are actually more likely than others to attack people outside their own group. More than half of all violent crimes committed by blacks are against non-blacks.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Classical Racist: N!66ers are inferior to the white man cause they got small brains. A = C.

Neo-Racist: I am not a racist. I don't believe that blacks are inferior, but every other reason (besides innate inferiority) given for why blacks perform and behave worse than whites I don't accept. A = B and B = C.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Classical Racist: N!66ers are inferior to the white man cause they got small brains. A = C.

Neo-Racist: I am not a racist. I don't believe that blacks are inferior, but every other reason (besides innate inferiority) given for why blacks perform and behave worse than whites I don't accept. A = B and B = C.
I won't lie. This is how I see things.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I won't lie. This is how I see things.
Just to clarify...that is how you see them (the racist)?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Just to clarify...that is how you see them (the racist)?
That is how I see anyone who is a racist. There are those who are upfront with it. However, alot of people who are racist, but very "back door" about it.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
We are in 2017. Much of what you are talking about was in previous generations.

I used to have the original deed on a piece of land in California my family bought in the 1920's. It said on it could only be transferred to members of the Caucasian race. And this was California not Alabama. We sold the land and I was embarrassed to turn in the deed to the new owners.

The fair housing act was 1968. Even before that blacks could own homes. But they were relegated to certain neighborhoods.

At some point the excuses about what happened 50 years ago or more have to end.

People come from all sorts of situations. Some use that as the excuse for not doing well in life while others prosper in spite of their situation.
I never said the bold was not. FWIW, I was born in 1979. I consider myself the first generation of blacks "born free" in America.

Contrary to what you may believe the Fair Housing Act being passed didn't automatically mean that blacks could obtain mortgages in various cities that they moved to. Also segregation was not a factor in all communities. But housing discrimination was an issue through the 1970s and the early 1980s and didn't really decrease until that time. Unfortunately the personal biases and beliefs of people to preclude blacks from living in specific areas did not end just because the FHA was passed in 1968.

Most of what people think they know about the history of the modern era is not true.

I don't make excuses for anything that happened 50 years ago; however, one has to remember that 50 years is not a long amount of time in wealth building or educational achievement for a demographic.

As I stated, blacks today are the most educated than we have ever been, even though there is still some discrimination in the quality of education that black children receive (especially in inner cities) and there is still racial biases associated with being black in America.

I agree people come from different situations. I also know for a fact that what I stated above is true in that what most people believe is the truth for blacks in America is not the truth. I do a lot of historical and genealogical research. I'm from Ohio, not the south. I found out with my research various things that I was not taught as a child such as

• Segregation of public schools did not exist in the public school system I grew up in during the 20th century, our system was integrated in the 1870s (due to blacks suing the public school system BTW)
  • Blacks of any education could only obtain certain jobs - specific, menial labor and maintenance jobs were set aside for blacks, no matter what education they received, they could not work above a certain level in 99% of companies in our area - the only one that allowed blacks to rise in rank based on education and experience was Standard Oil (this occurred here through the 1970s)
  • Whites who could not speak English and didn't have an high school education would and did get jobs over blacks in my hometown just because they were white and people felt they were more deserving because they were white (this also occurred here through the 1970s - surveys and various studies were conducted on the large local companies in this area and this is something that is true for the majority of the country)
  • Public housing programs steered blacks who were able to own homes into public housing instead of allowing them to buy homes to build wealth - this is something that happened nationwide and is a direct cause of the lack of wealth in black families and the creation of black ghettos in urban inner cities.
  • Contrary to what many new black nationalist minded folks believe and internet memes and youtube videos tell other blacks - black Americans have never been fully in control of commercial establishments like many blacks think today
  • Contrary to what many posters here think, black people were less educated and less poor and also suffered from more crime in the 1970s
  • Contrary to what many posters here think black people were less educated and more poor between 1900 and 1950 than we are today even with more "in tact" families and less social welfare programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.