Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

A century from now we can read how progressives and Democrats tore capitalism down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 01:59 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, no, no...it’s very much right wing propaganda. And even to this day, the biggest defenders of the CSA are right wing Republicans. Nearly every Neo-Confederate apologist for southern Lost Cause Mythology is a right wing Republican.
Like I said earlier, you are unwittingly arguing that slavery is the path to prosperity. Essentially you are saying that America would become more prosperous if slavery were reinstated. Are you volunteering?

Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Sounds interesting and I obviously haven't read it, but my initial thought is that industrialization had more to do with it than slavery, since slavery is actually a very inefficient and costly way of doing things.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
you are clearly the product of a liberal education/indoctrination system that is forced upon so many of our young people. that you think that slavery was the sole reason for the civil war is evidence. let me guess, you were also taught that Columbus was a horrible person?

Whites are the best at nation building. For you to laugh that off is irresponsible. If you accept any advantage of a modern world, then you owe it to whites - do not forget this.
If slaves were so amazing then how come the country took off after emancipation?
furthermore, if blacks are so capable, then please enlighten me as to why they have never built a successful nation in their history?

Now get off MSNBC and go learn something you kid.
Clearly, you are the product of no education whatsoever. I blame your parents, not your local schools.

The whole premise of your post is laughable. The South started the war over slavery and ONLY slavery.

See, my liberal education provided me with this clue by the Confederacy’s own Vice President:

Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
Against this passage, what do you place?

See, that liberal education works. Too bad you didn’t get one.

Lastly, I owe white folks NOTHING AT ALL! Not one damn thing. If anyone should show gratitude, you should be showing ME some, not the other way around.

After all, if you white folks were so capable of nation building all on your own, you wouldn’t have started the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade, would you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
DesertDetroiter must have been taught the Us economy revolved around slavery.

I can only blame his moronic teachers for filling his head with lies.
The Southern economy depended very much on slavery. When slavery was taken away from the South, the whole damn region floundered for damn near a century. Your home state included until they found some oil. Most of Texas still remained a dump even after that, but the oil certainly helped. Without it, Texas would’ve been just another Mississippi...only larger with bigger ranches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Like I said earlier, you are unwittingly arguing that slavery is the path to prosperity. Essentially you are saying that America would become more prosperous if slavery were reinstated. Are you volunteering?
If one of us has to become a slave, trust me, it’ll be you before it’ll be me.

That’s all there is to it. As a right winger, you’ve already got all the makings of a good slave anyway. May as well seal the deal.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Morrill Tariff wouldn't mean an end to Britain buying Cotton, it would mean taxes on British manufactured goods. British already had tariffs on outside manufactured goods at a rate higher than the US had preceding the Morrill tariff.
The United States raising tariffs would have caused retaliatory tariffs by Britain. And would have quickly accelerated the process by which Britain moved its cotton production to its own colonies. Which is precisely what did happen. And this movement of cotton production is what ultimately caused the value of cotton to plummet in the early 1870's(production exceeded demand).

Quote:
The war did not start out as a war to abolish slavery, but it needed to become one and did become one.
The war had only one purpose, to "Save the union". That was the goal at the beginning, and that was the goal at the end. The reason slavery was abolished, was because there was no possible way to keep the country together if slavery continued. A house divided against itself cannot stand. And slavery created two totally separate economic, political, and social systems, which were incompatible with one another.

If slavery was compatible with industry, then slavery would have continued forever. But slavery was incompatible with industry. And the only thing slave labor was beneficial for, was producing cotton to sell to foreign markets. The slave states thus required "free trade"(IE low or no tariffs), while the manufacturing states wanted protectionism, and a powerful central government, a national banking system, etc.

The money controlled the government then, just as the money controls the government now. Don't pretend for a moment that it had anything to do with right and wrong, it was only about money.

Quote:
You seem to be making the slave owners victims with a theory about the morrill tariff harming them, which is not the case.
I am not trying to make slave-owners out to be victims, they are not victims. I am only trying to explain why they acted as they did. The Morill Tariff most-certainly would have harmed them, which is precisely why they were so opposed to it. Why argue about something which is obvious and empirical?

My only point was that, slavery was dying-out prior to the European industrial boom. That is what created the huge demand for American Cotton, but that demand was only destined to last a few decades, if you understand the geopolitical circumstances of that time.

My objection was to this idiot author making the claim that slavery would have never died without a Civil War. That is completely absurd. The British Empire and the French Empire had already abolished slavery in their own empires, decades before the American Civil War. Even using their own Navies to prevent the African slave-trade. And keep in mind, the British and French weren't even democratic countries at that time.

In the same year that the Civil War began, the Russian Czar also abolished Russian serfdom. Why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom_in_Russia

The fact that slavery in America even remained as profitable as did, for as long as it did, was quite an anomaly. Had there not been an industrial boom in Europe during the early 1800's, American slavery would have been completely dead decades before the Civil War.

And even if there had never been a Civil War at all, slavery would have lasted until the mid-1870's at best. Once the demand for cotton fell, and once industry began to spread further into the south, slavery would have died. Just as it did everywhere else, and for the same reasons.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:45 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
I always find it strange than the same group of people who constantly complains about how this country is owned by corporations, and who believe that war is a racket, which serves American economic interests; Seem to wholeheartedly believe that the Civil War was fought by a bunch of Northern SJW's purely to free the black man from bondage.

Do they realize how stupid they are?

The Civil War was fought for the same reason all American wars are fought, money. If you believe otherwise, you're a moron. And I advise you to go read some Lysander Spooner, maybe he can talk some sense into you.

Lysander Spooner – No Treason No. 6: The Constitution of No Authority

The story of the Civil War, promulgated by the American government, and through the American media, is a fiction, which serves our national interests. They do not care about you. And they never have.

I'm tired of this stupid argument.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default The land of cotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
blacks today barely contribute to GDP, what makes you think they were any more productive while enslaved?
The plantation overseers kept good individual records on who picked how much cotton. Quotas for everyone were increased periodically, & slaves who did not meet quota were flogged, punished, worked harder, fed less. If the slave never learned the knack of picking cotton quickly & reliably, they could be transferred to another task, sold or otherwise disposed of.

The slaves who learned how picked enormous amounts of cotton - but it was a fickle skill. Some people learned, some didn't. Read the book - there's a good section on recordkeeping, the discipline used, the rise in productivity per picker up until the Civil War.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Practically every country once had slavery.

I can name lots of countries that had slavery and are in the economic toilet.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
They would be “toilets” obviously because of corruption, mismanagement, and various policies. In historic context, yes, many of these former colonies grew rich from slave labor.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HXM0R9Q...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Bolding mine.

Anyway, I would seriously recommend this book for anyone looking for some of the brutally honest historical truths about how the United States of America was built and grew into what it is today.
Yawn. An old story retold. This was all litigated a hundred years ago, yet some here think there is a need to rehash it.
Most Americans aren't interested, and is becoming quite annoying actually.
I don't remember having any slaves. Very rare when I was growing up in Northern Virginia.
Next topic!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
America is still prospering off of slaves.

The slaves now are the Chinese. Look at the huge markup of goods sold in the US/world, made in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies