Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:04 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What were the diplomatic solutions for the slaves? Basically your argument is that freeing human beings from slavery should have waited until the white supremacists and slave owners were ready.

You also seem to imply that if Hitler had stopped short of killing Jews WWII would not have been necessary and that a diplomatic solution should have been sought instead. Even if that meant that Jews had to spend a few more years confined away from their families in forced labor camps.
I will say this the THIRD time

"War is failure of diplomacy." =/= ethnic cleansing with genocide is a failure of diplomacy.

It just means WAR is failure of diplomacy.

If you don't know what this means, there is nothing I can do for you.

War is failure of diplomacy. This doesn't mean there are no right (good) guys or bad guys in that war. Got it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add:

All war represents a failure of diplomacy.
~~Tony Benn (b. 1925), British Labour politician. speech, Feb. 28, 1991, to House of Commons.
The day the Gulf War ended.

All diplomacy is a continuation of war by other means.
~~Zhou Enlai, Chinese Premier, Saturday Evening Post 27 Mar 54

Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By yesterday's standards Lee was a traitor.

He did not take an oath to Virginia.

He took an oath to defend and protect the Constitution and the United States of America.

He was a slave owner who sided with other slave owners, and led an army against the U.S.A.

That's treason.

Lee was a traitor.

Lee was judged by his peers...........you are definitely not one of those..........

Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I will say this the THIRD time

"War is failure of diplomacy." =/= ethnic cleansing with genocide is a failure of diplomacy.

It just means WAR is failure of diplomacy.

If you don't know what this means, there is nothing I can do for you.

War is failure of diplomacy. This doesn't mean there are no right (good) guys or bad guys in that war. Got it?
Blah, blah, blah. I know exactly what your post means. You are saying that the Civil War was the fault of the uppity slaves and their desire to be treated like human beings with actual rights.

You do lose me a bit on the ethnic cleansing thing though. If not ethnic cleansing what would you call a system that kidnaps people from their native land, separates them from their families, possessions and even their own names before they are forced to live out their lives working forced labor in whatever conditions their "owners" deem acceptable?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. I know exactly what your post means. You are saying that the Civil War was the fault of the uppity slaves and their desire to be treated like human beings with actual rights.
LOL Are you serious?

go away already

Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Do you really believe that what Hitler and the Nazis did to the Jews and other Holocaust victims was worse than what the slaveholding southerners did to their "property"?

I am so sick of Lost Cause sympathizers and racists acting like living life as a slave was akin to working a crappy job.

How long would you have personally remained a slave with no rights to avoid a war fought for your freedom? Should the US have sought out a compromise with England? Or is paying taxes more of a burden than being kidnapped, shipped to a foreign country and forced to work for no pay?

I have seen many right wingers and conservatives on this board claim that if the US government tries to take their guns, forces them to buy health insurance, lets gays get married yada yada that means we have reached some critical mass of tyranny that requires the use of deadly force to overthrow the gov and restore our freedom. And now we have some of the same people claiming that the slaves and the people that wanted to free them should have just worked out a compromise with the slave holding scumbags.

It must just make you furious that it took white people to free the slaves...........

Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
LOL Are you serious?

go away already
You keep arguing that there was a diplomatic solution. So what would that diplomacy have involved? Aside from war what compromise could have been reached with the white supremacists in the south that would have given African Americans their freedom?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Lee was judged by his peers...........you are definitely not one of those..........
Actually, he was given a slap on the wrist. He was let off way too easy. He should have been given life in prison or executed for what he did. Yes, he was let back in to society. I am saying he should not have been. What matters most to me in this instance is what is right and what is wrong.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What were the diplomatic solutions for the slaves? Basically your argument is that freeing human beings from slavery should have waited until the white supremacists and slave owners were ready.

You also seem to imply that if Hitler had stopped short of killing Jews WWII would not have been necessary and that a diplomatic solution should have been sought instead. Even if that meant that Jews had to spend a few more years confined away from their families in forced labor camps.

WW2 was not fought just to save the Jews...... The jews had to fight in the middle east for their own country and freedom..........at least they did it on their own......

Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It must just make you furious that it took white people to free the slaves...........
It looks like that poster is talking about an entire different topic.

War is the ultimate failure of diplomacy just means when an agreement cannot be reached, there would be a war (the last resort)

Nothing more/less. NOT sure what racism has anything to do with that particular statement.

Sometimes, peace through diplomacy works, sometimes, it won't. When diplomacy fails, there would be a war. That is what statement means in my opinion. People have to bring racism in every conversation/discussion.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
And it took Gentiles to free the Jews. Did you have an actual point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies