Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Me too.

FWIW my mom was on welfare when I was a young child. We were lucky in that my grandmother owned homes she let my mother live in (grandma didn't approve of my mom's life choices but didn't want her grandchildren growing up in public housing - which I am eternally grateful for) and I remember not having food to eat and being hungry. We also frequently went without utilities - gas, lights, water, etc. We had to go over to other people's houses to take baths. We didn't have any sort of nice things, we mostly shopped at Goodwill. My mom didn't have a car so we took the bus everywhere and where we lived the bus stops weren't convenient so most of my early childhood I remember walking long distances and my feet/legs hurting and eating potatoes and grilled cheese sandwiches made with "government cheese" for dinner.

Lap of luxury huh lol
That's how I recall most of my friends whose families were on welfare living, pretty much. I had a friend who lived in a newer, small house. It was one of those deals through what used to be FMHA where if you met the low income requirements, you could get a house for a dollar down. So, they were called Dollar Down Houses. Nothing fancy. 3 beds, 2 baths. Living/family room. Kitchen with eat-in area for dining. Very low square footage. About the size of most apartments.

But, it was theirs and her mom was proud to own a place where she could live and the rent would never go up, but she'd eventually be done paying for it. Over the years, their circumstances improved and she remodeled it to add on an extra room, but this was many years after she bought it.

I know people see poor folks with a hairdo, nails done, an iPhone (or some other smart phone) and a decent car. What they often do not see is that the woman in question probably traded services (she did a friend's hair and nails, and the friend did hers) for the hair and nails. She likely has an older iPhone and has a friend who works on broken ones to get them going. Or, another relative bought a used/older one for her and she's on their plan so she'll have email, a phone, and internet to look for work and for safety reasons. And, that car might be borrowed or it might be the only decent thing she's got and she lives in a place with no decent mass transit. Maybe she's got an uncle who is a mechanic and it was a flood-damaged car he rescued.

People are so quick to judge.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The poor overwhelmingly vote Dem, even in red states. They're highly unlikely to be Trump supporters. Why do you think Dems are so vested in keeping people poor? To keep some semblance of political power. They can't win elections without the poor (and therefore dependent on government public assistance programs) vote.
What?

Nope.

That's not accurate at all. I know the rural areas of my home state and most of those folks are NOT wealthy nor did they vote Dem.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
If you're getting $6,200 in tax credits than you make too much to qualify for welfare, especially 50K in housing.

That's illegal, instead of telling us you need to tell the IRS and SSA. Not sure of the law, but you might be an accomplice
Hmmm. nice detail. So it is okay to know about fraud but not report it so he can use it on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Who are all these people on welfare living in luxury?

Because, most folks I've ever met on welfare are living in projects or Section 8 housing, none of which is luxurious.

Most poorer old folks I know live in houses they bought while they were working and those houses are paid for. They're on fixed incomes, but they don't live in squalor.

I'm really fascinated by this concept of welfare families living like kings.

You would be surprised how luxurious the furnishings are in some apartments in the projects. Custom made window treatments ,top of the line appliances upscale furniture and also expensive clothing .

Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taratova View Post
you would be surprised how luxurious the furnishings are in some apartments in the projects. Custom made window treatments ,top of the line appliances upscale furniture and also expensive clothing .
lol

Old 11-01-2017, 12:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Yeah I'm on welfare, I love it. I work 13 hours a week flipping burgers at Mr. J's for minimum wage. I have 5 kids I raise by myself, we eat sushi and caviar almost every day. I drive a 2016 Range Rover, have a collection of Air Jordans & other premium sneakers, and live in a penthouse in downtown Chicago. Thanks Obama!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:57 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
What?

Nope.

That's not accurate at all. I know the rural areas of my home state and most of those folks are NOT wealthy nor did they vote Dem.
You're assuming all the rural folks in your area are on disability and welfare?

Yes, many living in rural areas voted for Trump, but they are the people, who work. People on welfare and disability rarely vote, but when they do, they vote Democrat. The statistics are clear.

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2011/12/poll/topline.pdf

Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican? - Tino Sanandaji

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You would be surprised how luxurious the furnishings are in some apartments in the projects. Custom made window treatments ,top of the line appliances upscale furniture and also expensive clothing .
You spend much time in the projects?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You're assuming all the rural folks in your area are on disability and welfare?

Yes, many living in rural areas voted for Trump, but they are the people, who work. People on welfare and disability rarely vote, but when they do, they vote Democrat. The statistics are clear.

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2011/12/poll/topline.pdf

Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican? - Tino Sanandaji
So, we're ignoring the working poor for the purposes of this discussion? Because the notion I responded to was that all poor folks vote Dem.

Not true.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
So, we're ignoring the working poor for the purposes of this discussion? Because the notion I responded to was that all poor folks vote Dem.

Not true.
I'm not going back through 13 pages, but the basic notion to which I was responding was the assertion that people on disability for Republican in large numbers. That is simply not true, according to the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies