Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Ignore the title of this YouTube video, it actually has nothing at all to do with the content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGCSSP-XSo

Chris Matthews and Stephen Colbert last night discussing Robert Kennedy and in general discussing how times have changed; how we have lost empathy, unity, compassion, patriotism and trust in political leaders.

Quote:
Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
Robert Kennedy, South Africa 1966.
It was a touching discussion and Colbert gets genuinely emotional about it.

I know there are going to be the usual immediate lame, knee jerk comments about 'liberals' underneath this post, but the division in this country has to stop.

If we have a real desire to make America great again, we have to stop the hate and the division.

Last edited by Cruithne; 11-01-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
While the assassination of JFK was a horrible thing, I always believed the nation lost a greater asset when Bobby was killed.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Chris Matthews and Stephen Colbert last night discussing Robert Kennedy and in general discussing how times have changed; how we have lost empathy, unity, compassion, patriotism and trust in political leaders.
Just a couple of guys doing their jobs as gatekeepers and propagandists for helicopter guv.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I know there are going to be the usual immediate lame, knee jerk comments ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just a couple of guys doing their jobs as gatekeepers and propagandists for helicopter guv.
At least watch the video before typing something lame, irrelevant and nonsensical.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:00 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
The democratic party is not the party of Robert or John Kennedy any longer and it hasn't been for a very long time. Nor is the republican party the party of Reagan. So these two are being disingenuous in their reflection. When a conservative longs for days past politically they are derided with taking us back to the fifties and wanting racial inequity comments so how is this any different? When I wish it were like when I was a kid its because the world wasn't so full of self interested a-holes. If they are thinking Obama was a uniting force then I have no idea what they were listening to for 8 years.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The democratic party is not the party of Robert or John Kennedy any longer. Nor is the republican party the party of Reagan. So these two are being disingenuous in their reflection. When a conservative longs for days past politically they are derided with taking us back to the fifties and wanting racial inequity comments so how is this any different? When I wish it were like when I was a kid its because the world wasn't so full of a-holes. If they are thinking Obama was a uniting force then I have no idea what they were listening to for 8 years.
No actually they weren't being disingenuous. They were reflecting on times past, just as you are.
I think we all long for a time when the world was not full of a-holes.
It's not helped by us all behaving like a-holes today, especially here in C-D cyberspace.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
No actually they weren't being disingenuous. They were reflecting on times past, just as you are.
I think we all long for a time when the world was not full of a-holes.
It's not helped by us all behaving like a-holes today, especially here in C-D cyberspace.
Yes they actually are because they fully blame all of the disunity on Trump in their discussion if you are being fair in your assessment. The parties did not all of a sudden transform in the past two years.

Edit - People aren't the same as they were then either. Too much self interest and have it now rather than work for it.

Last edited by redwood66; 11-01-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yes they actually are because they fully blame all of the disunity on Trump in their discussion if you are being fair in your assessment.
Not true, Matthews mentions the Democrats as well:

"These white people who have sort of lost their faith in the Democratic party now they think they have been abandoned, disgarded../..they had this patriotic connection to this Kennedy guy, because you know why? He believed in uniting people..."

Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Not true, Matthews mentions the Democrats as well:

"These white people who have sort of lost their faith in the Democratic party now they think they have been abandoned, disgarded../..they had this patriotic connection to this Kennedy guy, because you know why? He believed in uniting people..."
One sentence out of that 8+ minute video of Russian/wish it were like Kennedy walk down memory lane? "These white people" So Matthews is saying they are abandoned by a party that has not had people like Kennedy for decades and voted for Trump? Is that what he is saying?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
One sentence out of that 8+ minute video of Russian/wish it were like Kennedy walk down memory lane? "These white people"
You said 'fully blame'. I'm being precise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies