Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Whatever the attempt was here...it didn't work.
Not my problem ...

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,284 times
Quote:
Lincoln felt the Africans would never be treated fairly, would not be allowed to compete fairly. He knew his people. I don't think he would be surprised at all by the problems we are still having.
Confederates were worse, much worse.

I'll take my chances with Lincoln over Lee or any of the other racist traitorous confederates.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
I thought you were the one who said everyone should get a statue? Maybe I was mistaken.
You are mistaken.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Confederates were worse, much worse.

I'll take my chances with Lincoln over Lee or any of the other racist traitorous confederates.
Thus reasoning, states rights will continue to be an issue, when states can not take care of their citizens without federal government becoming involved.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
(question for those who support the recent statue removals, of course)

would you support removing the Lincoln memorial? Removing the "Land of Lincoln" slogan from Illinois?
I think pretty much most white people back then were of the opinion that the "negro race" was inferior.

That said, Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, he didn't suit up for the Confederacy to try to keep people enslaved.

He gets at least a pass of some sort from that one.

Regardless of his actual intent.

That's my perspective on it.

If I found out he had some sort of dastardly plot to do black people ill, then I'm sure I'd change my already-formed opinion, though.

I still think Lee was a decent guy, for the times.

He actually took OFF his uniform and put AWAY his Confederate flags after the war because he didn't think they should be worn or flown anymore.

Why people want to fly them in his name is beyond me.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:19 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Lincoln was a white supremacist. As much as most people of the day.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Meh. Plenty, if not the majority of whites back then espoused backward thoughts about non-whites, particularly Africans.
Yeah, I've seen several documentaries covering WW2 where british officers clearly admit that Canadian whites were seen as "second rate" due to "breeding" and that getting a plum assignment in the british service they definitely looked at your breeding as they would for a quarter horse...and that's in the 1940's....and being applied to people of the same "race" lol.

Fortunately these views, which also would remind one of being similar to indias caste system were hugely widespread even in the 1900's and even among academics and "enlightened" minds.

Not just the whites either, it's a widespread phenomenon that crosses the globe and is practiced by every race in their history somewhere. Guarantee you that before whites ever showed up in Africa you had tribes that considered other tribes to be bad or lesser in some way...we're an ignorant species, still are in many ways.

Ironically, if you turn out a lot of sports shows they're always talking about some kids "pedigree" because their dad was a bigtime player. Kinda ironic in a historical context especially considering they're often talking about black athletes.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
(question for those who support the recent statue removals, of course)

would you support removing the Lincoln memorial? Removing the "Land of Lincoln" slogan from Illinois?
I dunno. Riddle me this:

If it came to light that Robert E. Lee was actually the founder of the NAACP, and in Lee's later years, he even joined the Civil Rights Movement and was arrested at a sit-down demo in Selma? Would you support putting Lee's Memorials back up and re-instituting Traveler as the mascot of the U VA?

You go first.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Alt Right is trying to tear this country in two, Lincoln kept it together.

Like I said, Lincoln for all his faults redeemed himself.

If Trump or David Duke find the cure for cancer and share it without charge, I'd support a statue in their honor. I'd wear a MAGA hat if they did that.
Lincoln killed about 3/4 of a million to preserve the fed guvs hold on the southern states.. You have an odd definition of keeping it together.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:43 PM

501 posts, read 303,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We cannot judge historical figures by today's standards and we shouldn't be tearing down statues or defacing these great men in such a way.
And yet... It's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies