Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support tougher, merit based immigration measures?
Yes 150 87.72%
No 21 12.28%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Trump's idea of merit based is either unskilled workers for his resorts or hot eastern European women.
Just couldn’t help yourself could you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Yes, though not exclusively.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not care very much where they come from so long as they are willing to take care of us ageing Baby Boomers. Obviously we did not have enough kids to let them do it and the kids we did have want nothing to do with those kind of jobs.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I don't really know the specifics but it sounds like something I would support. We should base most immigration upon what someone can bring and contribute to our country.
we already do and have do so for a long long time. To move to the states one is required to have a skill that is needed

H1B etc. there are lots of other programs where by if you are creating jobs bring wealth and expertise you can come live here.

is there abuse " yep but that just needs fixing.

the OP's poll is silly because the system is in place but simply needs better oversight. I would like to see improvements in how we prevent abuses.

The management and new business visas need to be tightened up. H1B needs to enforce some kind a scaled pay requirements to prevent it being abused.

But these programs are vital and if the choice was binary i would take them warts and all.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
President Trump urged for tougher, merit based immigration measures. Do you support this idea?
'merit based' is very non-specific, like much of Trump's alleged accomplishments.

Define 'merit' with regards to immigration.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
It looks like Trump's merit based immigration program is The plan mimics systems used by Australia and Canada.

Priority is given to prime working ages. Someone aged 18 through 21 gets six points, ages 22 through 25 gets eight points and ages 26 through 30 get 10 points.
The points then decrease, with someone aged 31 through 35 getting eight points, 36 through 40 getting six points, ages 41 through 45 getting four points and ages 46 through 50 getting two points.

Education

Points are distributed based on the highest degree a person has achieved.

English ability
Points are also given out for English ability, as determined by standardized English test.
Anyone with less than a 60th percentile proficiency gets no points

Job offer?
The only point scale that factors in whether an individual actually has a job offer in the US comes in the form of salary in an effort to boost wages.

Nobel Prize
There are bonus points available for "extraordinary achievement

How to earn 'points' under Trump's immigration bill - CNNPolitics

It doesn't sound bad at all.

I voted Yes

Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
How much does an EB-5 cost? I'd stop those, too.

Anybody wanting to do us harm can just buy their way in.

Do people need a sponsor and a job these days?

The bleeding hearts want to save the world, and some employers like cheap labor.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I support all merit-based programs. The most-qualified people get the job/award/grant/scholarship, etc...

This should absolutely be applied to immigration.

The left won't support it though. They don't support merit-based programs because they don't like a level playing field, i.e. affirmative action, hiring quotas, etc...
That is bull, i am left and i have dozens of post calling for better oversight of our current programs. You are simply just another Trumper who thinks left means loony.

Here is the reality for you buddy.
the states with the HIGHEST GDP are dem states. and here is the link for ya..

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-gdp-by-state/

looks to me like the states hitting it out of the park are blue not red.... Per capita of course so that you can't claim it is just cause everyone lives in CA etc.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
What would it mean? Does it mean you cannot bring family members? Most of the immigrants today which are legally accepted are family members of those who have been offered a job etc in US and got a green card. Obviously a child would score zero points in a merit based system. Wife? Who knows. Parents? Probably not.

H1B is a merit based program, but many people hate it.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What would it mean? Does it mean you cannot bring family members? Most of the immigrants today which are legally accepted are family members of those who have been offered a job etc in US and got a green card. Obviously a child would score zero points in a merit based system. Wife? Who knows. Parents? Probably not.

H1B is a merit based program, but many people hate it.
Spouses

The bill also requires applicants, if they want to bring a spouse with them, to calculate the points the spouse would earn under the same rubric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies