Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still condemn someone who admits their mistakes and unequivocally condemns their previous
Yes 1 5.88%
No 16 94.12%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times

Advertisements

If a person at one time was a member of a racist group or sympathetic to radical terrorism but came to admit their errors and publicly condemns their ideas would you still condemn ?

I'm not talking about criminal behavior, I'm talking about people who just had repulsive ideas but never actually committed crimes

Would you still bring it up? What if you continued to disagree with them on every other idea and were still politically opposed to them.

For example, if you're a liberal and David Duke/Richard Spencer denounced their racist views but continued to be hard right in every other area, would you still bring up his past? Vice versa for conservatives as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
No, at least if it was sincere.

If a person disavows some previously held views that I strongly disagree with but then continue to tap dance around them, keeping their "toes in the water" so to speak, that is a different story. Because I that point I would be convinced they only did it to save face, rather than a sincere change of heart.

If they truly disavow a previous stance and the rest of their views, especially views that were predicated on the former stance, are updated and logically consistent with their rejection of said stance, I absolutely would have no problem with it.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
actions speak louder than words. anyone can say anything, but if thy back that up with action, then yes i can cut them some slack.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:28 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
No, at least if it was sincere.

If a person disavows some previously held views that I strongly disagree with but then continue to tap dance around them, keeping their "toes in the water" so to speak, that is a different story. Because I that point I would be convinced they only did it to save face, rather than a sincere change of heart.

If they truly disavow a previous stance and the rest of their views, especially views that were predicated on the former stance, are updated and logically consistent with their rejection of said stance, I absolutely would have no problem with it.
What if the person was sincere, but had other views you strongly disagreed with.

Would you still bring up their past views after they denounced and condemned them?

Old 11-02-2017, 01:32 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
What if the person was sincere, but had other views you strongly disagreed with.

Would you still bring up their past views after they denounced and condemned them?
Depends on if the past viewpoints had any bearing on the viewpoints they currently hold that I disagree with. If they are unrelated, no. If some of the root justification for the views they still hold that I disagree with appears to be their past beliefs that they have disavowed, probably yes, because then they would be exhibiting hypocrisy on the subject.

Say for example, you have an X-Nazi who has "disavowed" his Nazi beliefs, but is bizarrely obsessed with campaigning against Jewish immigration. Yea - in that case I would definitely be bringing it up (because I would think he was full of s**t).

On the other hand, if his pet project was say, campaigning for a 0% corporate tax rate... no, I would not bring it up.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:

If they were sincere, and their actions proved it, no, I would not continue to bring it up. They would still not receive my vote, though.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 PM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
That's a case-by-case thing - lots of factors to take into account.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
If a person at one time was a member of a racist group or sympathetic to radical terrorism but came to admit their errors and publicly condemns their ideas would you still condemn ? I'm not talking about criminal behavior, I'm talking about people who just had repulsive ideas but never actually committed crimes
No, IF their present behavior is congruent with their new verbal stance.

Quote:

Would you still bring it up? What if you continued to disagree with them on every other idea and were still politically opposed to them.

For example, if you're a liberal and David Duke/Richard Spencer denounced their racist views but continued to be hard right in every other area, would you still bring up his past? Vice versa for conservatives as well.
If I were convinced that this hypothetical person had recanted a previously held horrible idea, I wouldn't keep criticizing her/him about that idea. However, if they held to other horrible ideas, I would sure criticize those.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:27 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
If a person at one time was a member of a racist group or sympathetic to radical terrorism but came to admit their errors and publicly condemns their ideas would you still condemn ?

I'm not talking about criminal behavior, I'm talking about people who just had repulsive ideas but never actually committed crimes

Based on all your other posts, I will decline to answer your poll.
I suspect that you are leading up to something which you feel the need to "prove" through a non scientific test. Than, having proved your point (which is hidden for the moment) you will spring from the shadows and slash us conservative Trump supporters with your razor sharp words.

Nah. I ain't playing.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Depends! If a person said they hate white people and backtracked and apologized, I would be reticent to believe them. If they said they hated my decorating and changed their mind....yes. I would believe them.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-02-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies