Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So now youre going to start paying your fair share..
Ah, ok, so in your opinion small corporations needed a hefty tax increase because they were not paying their fair share. interesting, but not surprising coming from someone like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
The wealthy do not need more handouts. Any other fiscal conservatives agree that we don't need to expand the deficit?

These images were produced with public data and are subject to fair-use without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder (per cbo and cbpp), for the purpose of discussion.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the military budget is right in line with nearly everyone country as a percentage of our GDP

yes there are more (and more costly) contractors...all part of the 90's cuts made to the military
And why is the bolded a good metric? Seems like it fluffs up our military spending in comparison.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
The wealthy do not need more handouts. Any other fiscal conservatives agree that we don't need to expand the deficit?

These images were produced with public data and are subject to fair-use without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder (per cbo and cbpp), for the purpose of discussion.
Handouts on top of historically cheap money.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know it's been a decade since I got my medical degree, but I don't recall any "free" MD/PhD programs (and I know bc I almost went that route AND I have colleagues who did).
Nearly all, afaik, MD/PhD programs are free. That's why they're insanely hard to get into. I've literally trained dozens of them during their PhD portions of their degrees

Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 PM

8,115 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the military budget is right in line with nearly everyone country as a percentage of our GDP

yes there are more (and more costly) contractors...all part of the 90's cuts made to the military
I DO NOT care what it is with respect to GDP, it is too much as a total, and not necessary.
Also, comparisons with other countries are not very meaningful, if you count DOD only, since in this country multiple other departments are involved. The funny thing (as I might have told you before, but apparently I need to do it several times) is, you want to cut DOE, well - that includes nukes. Then comes the VA, etc....

Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Handouts on top of historically cheap money.
Research has also shown that the big Wall Street firms gain tens of billions a year as a result of the "too-big-to-fail" government insurance policy that other smaller entities dont get. Who is the boss on Wall Street?
Goldman Sachs. Who dominates the Trump administration and the Hillary campaign? Goldman Sachs. The table is tilted.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I DO NOT care what it is with respect to GDP, it is too much as a total, and not necessary.
no its not enough...we cut the military too much back in the 90's

here is a question for you..have you ever served...do you have a clue, as to what the military can and cant do anymore...have a clue as to have we don't have enough funds for proper training...

I spent nearly 30 years in the military...I lived the cuts.....

now take your pacifist liberal ideology for a hike

Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 PM

8,115 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know it's been a decade since I got my medical degree, but I don't recall any "free" MD/PhD programs (and I know bc I almost went that route AND I have colleagues who did).
Well, Harvard, UT Southwestern, Duke, many more I'm sure. And very generous - stipend, full tuition, fees, insurance. The stipends (30k or so) are very generous compared to what I was making in grad school. And no teaching multiple classes, grading 50+ lab reports, or 100s of homeworks per week! But then again, these stipends seem to also apply to STEM grad schools nowadays. I guess supply and demand - in all these years postdoc salaries have barely moved, for comparison..

Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I am so glad that higher education elites though will have large reductions in subsidies to do their groundbreaking research.

They shouldn't need special tax treatments and stipends. They should go into debt if they are show sure their mighty intellectual powers will yield a bonanza of new discoveries.

Are you really pleased with yourself for saying this? You would want to shut off the education of the best minds among us, for what purpose? So ultra-rich people and a bloated military could get even more?

This proposed tax bill would be taking a lot away from graduate teaching fellows, by taxing the value of their tuition, that is part of their compensation for their teaching and research work. Many of them can barely make ends meet as it is, without having that added amount stripped away. The Luddite mentality behind such a policy, would head us away from one of the greatest achievements of this country------our advanced scientific and technological research and development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies