Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Seriously? #winning?

No its a loser statement by a school who is trying to win brownie points for "being against racism." This type of BS is what undermines the REAL message of actual racism.

Idiots.
The #winning reference is a nod to No_Recess, who thinks it’s fabulous the team is suspended.

I think that’s a silly POV, but whatever.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 11-05-2017 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am the slow learner?!

You are the one that is advocating a hypocritical position.

You claim that "white people can do what they want," yet you support white people being suspended for respectfully dressing up as a black man that dressed like a white girl - while accepting the black man dressing up as a white girl.

You have race-based double standards and don't truly support people doing what they want if you support them being punished and potentially expelled for it.
Yeah, I’m not going to yell in defense of white people dumb enough to wear black face makeup after years and years of hard-earned lessons about it.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You honestly don't see the hypocrisy in your statements, do you?

Why should anyone - exercising their God given rights to freedom of speech and expression along with the rights of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness - be threatened with expulsion, unemployment and even homelessness?

Because you don't agree with what this girl did? Did she hurt anyone? Did she bully someone? Did she negatively affect anyone? The answer is no. You and others just "don't like" what she did. So what if you don't like it? Move along.
I didn’t suspend the team. I don’t care. I think she’s dumb, though.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
There's one thing that's not been mentioned yet, that I know of: the girl knew she was going to hurt and offend people; her conversations with her friends prove that.

What I'd like to know is, who goes out of their way to hurt and offend, racially or any other way? Seriously, who does that? Have we completely lost all sense of just being, you know, kind to each other?

Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There's one thing that's not been mentioned yet, that I know of: the girl knew she was going to hurt and offend people; her conversations with her friends prove that.

What I'd like to know is, who goes out of their way to hurt and offend, racially or any other way? Seriously, who does that? Have we completely lost all sense of just being, you know, kind to each other?
While I understand your sentiment, there is much truth in the belief that part of being a logical person, mentor, friend, parent, etc... is confronting and debunking illogical fears among peers and those you care for.
This seems to become more and more lost in this time of over-sensitivity.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
White people: You cannot wear black face makeup without negative repercussions because of the historical context of blackface.

You would be well-served to learn this.
Well pass on your admonishment thank you.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Well pass on your admonishment thank you.
Haha, please do.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yeah, I’m not going to yell in defense of white people dumb enough to wear black face makeup after years and years of hard-earned lessons about it.
The girl and her friends misjudged the environment. I imagine she and they thought that a white girl impersonating a black movie character who impersonated a white girl would be taken as clever, not possibly offensive. I'd bet at least one of them raised the offensive issue and was told nobody could be that insecure and sensitive. Too bad they didn't check with the Black Student Association first.

EDIT: I just saw post 64, which states the girl knew she'd offend people. I hadn't seen an account of that. Link please ?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
I just want to point out she impersonated Terry Crews. He never put on the white chicks makeup. He was just in the movie but he never wore the makeup.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Well, I wouldn't have known she was Crews, so the humor would have been lost for me anyway. I think it would have been funny if she had gone as Latrell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies