Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
DM was reporting multiple former classmates recently removing him from their FB due to his unhinged atheist rants. Very relevant due to the POS committing mass execution in a church. Curious why the truth makes you so uncomfortable.
As I just said, in the latest press conference police revealed that his mother in law, with whom he was involved in a domestic dispute, attended the church he shot up.

That's the truth as we know it right now.

My comment was merely pointing out that Breitbart quoting the UK Daily Mail quoting Facebook posts from people not involved in this guy's daily life is hardly quality journalism, especially when the resulting article fails to mention that Texas officials made a point of saying that this horrible event was NOT related to the killer's religious beliefs.

That's not to say this guy wasn't crazy or might have had other motives. He certainly was evil. I think all of us can agree on that.

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-06-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You can completely ban AR-15s for starters. You can ban magazine clips bigger than say 6. You can have stricter checks on people purchasing weapons. How did a wife/child abuser kicked out of the military get his hands on this weapon?
If you banned every semi-auto that fired like the AR 15, there would be almost no hunting rifles available. I would much rather someone was shooting with an AR 15 than a 30.06 or 3030 deer rifle. AR 15 ammo is mild by comparison. The government does not enforce the current background check, so they would not enforce one that is more stringent either. And how would you ban the guns? Have the police go door to door and search? That would also violate the constitution. Where would you get the money to reimburse people for the guns/magazines they bought legally? Remember, they prosecute less than 4% of those that violate the current law.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You can completely ban AR-15s for starters. You can ban magazine clips bigger than say 6. You can have stricter checks on people purchasing weapons. How did a wife/child abuser kicked out of the military get his hands on this weapon?
Most likely by breaking the law.

So, let's just say overnight there is a ban on all semi auto rifles. It has to be all, since there is no difference between standard semi auto hunting rifle and an AR style sporting rifle, except maybe the hunting rifle has more power.

Then what ? It isn't feasible for the ATF to go door to door and confiscate any that are already out there, so they will be grandfathered in. What then ? Let's say that maybe 10 percent of the 300 million plus firearms in the US are semi auto rifles. That is 30 million...let that sink in a bit. How will a ban change anything except for sales of new ones ?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
According to the latest press statement from officials, the shooter was involved with a domestic dispute that involved his mother in law. His mother in law attended the church.

Still no clear explanation about how he was able to purchase weapons with his prior conviction for domestic violence. He did not have a license to carry guns.
Media is speculating there is likely a difference between a court martial and a bad conduct discharge.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:28 PM

'Domestic situation' linked to Texas church massacre

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas — A lone gunman's gruesome assault on a rural church that killed 26 people and wounded 20 more appears to have stemmed from a domestic dispute, authorities said Monday.

The Texas Department of Public Safety on Monday identified the shooter as Devin Kelley, 26, of New Braunfels. DPS official Freeman Martin said Kelley's mother-in-law had previously attended services at the First Baptist Church but was not there during the Sunday's bloodbath, the deadliest mass shooting in Texas history.

Martin said Kelley had sent threatening text messages to his mother-in-law.

"We can tell you that there was a domestic situation going on within this family," Martin said. "This was not racially motivated; it wasn't over religious beliefs."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rch/835133001/

Old 11-06-2017, 12:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Media is speculating there is likely a difference between a court martial and a bad conduct discharge.
Then the media doesn't know what they're talking about, because one is a legal procedure and the other comes about as the result of that legal procedure. What they should be talking about is the difference between a dishonorable discharge and a bad conduct discharge.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If you banned every semi-auto that fired like the AR 15, there would be almost no hunting rifles available.
Horse pucky. The only semi-auto I have is my shotgun, which is limited to three shells, although the factory allows for 5. I've never in my 50 years of hunting needed a semi-auto rifle, and know no one who has one. You're stetting up a strawman with your assertion.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:33 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Horse pucky. The only semi-auto I have is my shotgun, which is limited to three shells, although the factory allows for 5. I've never in my 50 years of hunting needed a semi-auto rifle, and know no one who has one. You're stetting up a strawman with your assertion.
Every hunter that I know carries a semi-auto. I have had a semi-auto 22 since elementary school. You must not know many hunters.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:36 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
He was sentenced to 12 months confinement after he was convicted of domestic violence. It's illegal for people convicted for domestic violence to purchase a gun. Somebody screwed up because he purchased guns in Texas and Colorado.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is always so much media speculation after these horrible events. That is why I listen carefully to the actual official information released by police and other officials, especially in the early hours of an investigation.

The speculation that goes on in the "media" and on internet forums like this is often driven by other agendas and not the facts.

My husband is retired military, so I have a pretty good idea of the difference between a court martial and a bad conduct discharge. But, I don't yet have all of the facts of what his specific case involved from official sources, so I am not going to comment on that until more official information is released.

It would be good if others (in the media or here) did the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies