Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
They are spending my dues wisely. Why give money to gun grabbing Democrats?

The NRA lobbies on behalf of gun owners. The National Shooting Sports Foundation lobbies on behalf of manufacturers - https://www.nssf.org/

To own a full auto "assault weapon" you must do the following:
1. Buy a gun made before 1986. Since the supply is limited, the price is up. An Uzi will run about $8,000 and I've seen an M16 for $16,000. But you can't take it home that day.
2. Fill out a Form 4 and send it and a check for $200 to the BATFE. Then you wait for them to do a thorough background check. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...53204/download
3. After 6 months to a year, you get your tax stamp. Great!!!! Now you can get your gun from the Class 3 dealer....Wait.
4. You have to ask permission from your county sheriff.
5. Now I have my full auto long gun and I want to drive to the closest range which is in Memphis, TN. That's across state lines. I have to fill out a BATFE form 20 - https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20
6. I've had it for a while and want to change the barrel to a shorter one and make it an SBR (short barreled rifle). That's another $200, form 4 and waiting.
7. I want to add a suppressor. That's another $200, form 4 and waiting.

At any time you can get a visit by the BATFE to check to make sure you still have the registered gun in your possession. Any time you are out, you must have all of your required paperwork with you just in case.

I am in full agreement with the NRA in opposing this. What good would it do?

Gun shows are not exempt from the rules of the BATFE. If I buy from an FFL, I have to go through the same process as if I were at his store. In my case, I do not have to have a NICS check run as I am a CCW licensee. If I buy from an individual, then I have to follow certain state laws. Gun shows are not free-for-all swap meets. How many have you been to?

You would expect New York state to comply but https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmi.../#705f80b1702f I think compliance in Texas and other similar leaning states would be in the 10% range.

I saw the anti-Hillary ads during the election. They spent their money wisely. I was just disputing the fact that Fiyero stated that Cruz is paid millions by the NRA. I never said they were not political or spent money. I also enjoy their non-political shows like Noir -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwv1ft1Y0I
Keep on nightmaring:

Quote:
...But 2012 was different: The NRA wasn’t simply reaching out to its core constituency—it was reeling in big checks from conservative funders eager to take advantage of its grassroots muscle. The arrangement was mutually beneficial: The NRA burnished its reputation as a political force to be reckoned with, while donors invested in the kind of all-out GOTV effort they had once expected from the Republican Party itself.

Overall, the NRA spent just north of $25 million on last year’s election: $7 million supporting Republican candidates, and $18 million attacking Democrats. This spending spree was boosted by the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United ruling, which paved the way for activist groups to raise and spend unlimited amounts explicitly promoting or attacking candidates. The NRA also appealed to patrons who preferred to fly under the radar: The organization and its lobbying arm are both 501(c)(4) “social welfare” nonprofits and do not have to reveal their donors.

The NRA likes to note that it has always been heavily dependent on membership dues and small donors. But in recent years it has pushed hard to corral major donors, starting with gun manufacturers. Since 2005, many of its biggest benefactors have come from the gun industry, which has relied on the group to fight some major legal and political battles. By 2011, some 50 gun giants had ponied up between $14 million and $38 million for the NRA’s “Ring of Freedom” fundraising drive. ...
Inside the NRA’s Koch-Funded Dark-Money Campaign – Mother Jones

NRA + Koch brothers & their lawyer libertarian & legislative lapdogs + ALEC = status quo 2017. More detailed information here:

CMD Special Report: ALEC's Gun Agenda Flourished with Koch Industries on Board, as with other Koch-Funded Groups (Part Two)

ALEC's Extreme Gun Agenda Was No Secret Since Koch Joined its Board

Quote:
A new examination of the gun agenda of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) reveals numerous extreme bills advanced on the watch of Koch Industries as a leader and funder of ALEC. Koch has had a seat on ALEC's board for almost two decades, as many NRA bills became ALEC's "policy" and priority. An exploration of other entities funded by David or Charles Koch shows that this is no outlier and that other Koch-fueled organizations have also helped advance the NRA's efforts in a variety of ways. ...
https://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/05...d-other-koch-f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

To own a full auto "assault weapon" you must do the following:
1. Buy a gun made before 1986. Since the supply is limited, the price is up. An Uzi will run about $8,000 and I've seen an M16 for $16,000. But you can't take it home that day.
2. Fill out a Form 4 and send it and a check for $200 to the BATFE. Then you wait for them to do a thorough background check. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...53204/download
3. After 6 months to a year, you get your tax stamp. Great!!!! Now you can get your gun from the Class 3 dealer....Wait.
4. You have to ask permission from your county sheriff.
5. Now I have my full auto long gun and I want to drive to the closest range which is in Memphis, TN. That's across state lines. I have to fill out a BATFE form 20 - https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20
6. I've had it for a while and want to change the barrel to a shorter one and make it an SBR (short barreled rifle). That's another $200, form 4 and waiting.
7. I want to add a suppressor. That's another $200, form 4 and waiting.
Or just take the much easier and cheaper route... buy one thru a private sale.

Full auto assault weapons are more plentiful than you think, the AK47 is the most mass produced gun in the world, I doubt they know how many are even out there among the public.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Full auto assault weapons are more plentiful than you think, the AK47 is the most mass produced gun in the world, I doubt they know how many are even out there among the public.
That would be illegal.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Keep on nightmaring:

Inside the NRA’s Koch-Funded Dark-Money Campaign – Mother Jones

NRA + Koch brothers & their lawyer libertarian & legislative lapdogs + ALEC = status quo 2017. More detailed information here:

CMD Special Report: ALEC's Gun Agenda Flourished with Koch Industries on Board, as with other Koch-Funded Groups (Part Two)

ALEC's Extreme Gun Agenda Was No Secret Since Koch Joined its Board

https://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/05...d-other-koch-f
Soros donates more the the anti gun agenda than the NRA donates to the pro gun movement. Not sure what you're complaining about.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,140 times
Quote:

You mean , just break the law?

Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Soros donates more the the anti gun agenda than the NRA donates to the pro gun movement. Not sure what you're complaining about.
Besides being concerned about the increasing & problematic trend toward the US government being sold to the highest bidder (particularly since SCOTUS Citizens United decision, it'd be nice to see the evidence of your assertion.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:

If you do you could end up in a Federal Pen for a Long time.

Again it would be illegal to buy one. The risk is not worth the time, besides one can fire any semiautomatic just as fast as a full auto can fire, been proven countless times.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Why? Semi autos have been used to save hundreds of thousands of lives every year. The recent shooting in Texas was stopped by someone with a semi auto rifle.
Oh please. Other than the use in war, To say 'hundreds of thousands' of lives per year is total BS. PROVE IT. We would have to have total choas in the streets, at war with each other, live in bunkers, everyone having guns and shooting at each other.
This is the US, not Iraq, Afganastan or Libya.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 11-19-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Besides being concerned about the increasing & problematic trend toward the US government being sold to the highest bidder (particularly since SCOTUS Citizens United decision, it'd be nice to see the evidence of your assertion.
Ok.

https://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/the...ti-gun-agenda/

George Soros Dropped Almost $7 Million on Anti-Gun Agenda – Liberty News

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nra-donations/

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Oh please. Other than the use in war, To say 'hundreds of thousands' of lives per year is total BS. PROVE IT. We would have to have total choas in the streets, at war with each other, live in bunkers, everyone having guns and shooting at each other.
This is the US, not Iraq, Afganastan or Libya.
What on earth are you talking about? Semi autos have been in the civilian world since they've first been invented. But I will provide evidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use

How Many Times A Day Are Guns Used In Self Defense? | Extrano's Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies