Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 05:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
A term used in psychology. Enabling vs empowering. Keeping people dependent vs giving them tools to become independent.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Enabling vs empowering.

Are the working homeless being enabled or empowered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The homeless camps I posted photos of don't live on the street and eat out of the dumpster.

The live under the Redwoods and some live on the peaceful wetlands in tents. They have huge tents and ice chests and get their food from the all the resources available to them...also the bleeding hearts bring to them food. They are being waited on hand and foot by many. Not a single one of them looks underfed.

All of them are full bodied and are resourceful: They ride bikes, use tools, steal packages, steal bikes and take them to the bike chop shop factory, sell their stolen goods, they carry tons of supplies to their camps to build bigger tent cities, they panhandle, they mark their territory in all types of ways which is their beacon light signal for their dealers and suppliers.

Sounds like you really know nothing about the homeless situation where I live. You speak about the homeless as if they are a homogeneous group with all the same traits and characteristics.

The homeless in my area do not want the help our city has offered them. They say F you and continue destroying the land, stealing and vandalizing and doing drugs.

I work closely with the officers who are combating this issue in my city and they have resources that they offer to the homeless but they don't want it.

What resources would they offer a homeless person who is working at the bottom of the economy and neither mentally ill nor a drug user?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What resources would they offer a homeless person who is working at the bottom of the ecoomy and neither mentally ill nor a drug user?
Section 8 for example. Or government built housing. Lots of possibilities. But you have to be careful and think about the consequences of what you do.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Section 8 for example. Or government built housing. Lots of possibilities. But you have to be careful and think about the consequences of what you do.

Um, were oh where did you ever get that idea? Section 8 is VERY hard to get. People wait years and years and cannot even get on the waiting list, and you're saying it's just handed out to some people?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think the elderly people in this country who can't take care of themselves deserve more to have these services.

The homeless I see are very able bodied and it's really not our responsibility to take care of full grown adults who have the ability to take care of themselves...but instead would rather stay dazed and confused on drugs.
Then these laws need to be changed.
Yes I am well aware of this horrible move by Regan. But that was a LONG time ago...why hasn't this been reversed by now?

I always hear people point out how this was done but I never hear anyone discussing how to undo it. I guess it's easier to just point the finger but offer no solutions.
Either vote in a progressive solution (nationally) but thats not going to happen given the nature of the electorate these days (not going to go into that, your posts are pretty illustrative)

Or give CA back her tax money to implement a progressive solution.

ETA: a big piece of any solution would be prevention- affordable housing supports, supports for the housed mentally ill and families caring for them, teen runaway shelters and transitional housing, learning programs, etc...

(There are a lot of hidden disabilities that you can't see just by looking at a person on the street and many on drugs, do get off of them, off the streets and make it back into society. I know of two personally, its just not really talked about. Andrew Zimmerman from Bizarre Foods will talk about his time on the streets of San Francisco, for one example.)

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-07-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? Did you actually comprehend what I said?
You said this:
Quote:
I'd love to know what the conservative solution for the working homeless is.

Go RVing!
I took it as you meaning what the conservative vs. liberal solution.
Quote:
I was not asking about people addicted to drugs; I was asking about the working homeless who don't need "services" targeted to druggies and the mentally ill.
Got it!

Yes there is a huge RV issue here as well. They park right in front of many business and along major streets.

Last edited by Matadora; 11-07-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
What resources would they offer a homeless person who is working at the bottom of the economy and neither mentally ill nor a drug user?
Never asked as this is NOT the situation in my area. They might just help them find a room to rent.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No doubt housing costs have gotten crazy . But maybe there needs to be an effort to get people relocated to cheaper parts of the country .

It's just not practical to house all these people right in the middle of urban areas that are very expensive these days .

Seattle median home price is now $722,000 !

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...0-on-eastside/
Relocate people like in railroad cars to housing camps?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Either vote in a progressive solution (nationally) but thats not going to happen given the nature of the electorate these days (not going to go into that, your posts are pretty illustrative)
Right that's really going to happen? My vote means nothing but I still vote...but it means nothing.

Quote:
Or give CA back her tax money to implement a progressive solution.
I think a better solution is to teach CA how to manage it's tax money that it takes from us as well as it's ridiculous wasted and over bloated government pension system. Not to mention teacher pension.

CA has plenty of wasted tax money that it can use. This is the most money mismanaged State I have ever lived in.

Quote:
ETA: a big piece of any solution would be prevention- affordable housing supports, supports for the housed mentally ill and families caring for them, teen runaway shelters and transitional housing, learning programs, etc...
You keep harping on affordable housing...it's never going to happen here. Also where to you expect all of these affordable houses to be built and with who's money? Who is going to pay the utilities and the rent? The homeless here are comfortable living in tent cities not pay a dime for tent. You really don't understand much about the homeless here do you?

Quote:
(There are a lot of hidden disabilities that you can't see just by looking at a person on the street and many on drugs, do get off of them, off the streets and make it back into society. I know of two personally, its just not really talked about. Andrew Zimmerman from Bizarre Foods will talk about his time on the streets of San Francisco, for one example.)
Not sure what this has to do with my response.

Bottom line is that full grown adults are responsible for their own lives.

If you can't figure it out then you will end up on the streets or in prison or dead. It's your choice...you alone are responsible for how your life pans out. Most don't really understand this concept but it's true.

You keep talking as if the homeless are one big homogeneous group with the same personality and same traits and characteristics.

Why do you keep dodging the fact that most of them don't want help? Can you at least answer that?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What's the average background of those homeless in terms of education and qualification, ethnicity, age, sex?
13% in San Diego are veterans. 16.5% are children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies