Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:17 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are fire and brimstone types but they are few and far between now. The atheists are the new extremists, they are mean and condescending. Mormons and Baptists still come to the door to drop off literature and they are very polite. Atheists are trying to take down Christmas displays or suing to put up satanic symbols next to a crèche. I am neither religious nor atheist but I would choose to hang with religious people before many of the immature, nihilistic, cynical, insensitive atheists of today.

A lot of us went through a libertarian atheist phase as gothy teens but it is sad when they don't grow out of it and they become bitter angry selfish fools posting cruel things on twitter when babies and whole families were just wiped out by a nonbeliever. (Stop with the bible study thing, he did that one time, and he had become raging atheist).

Gee I wonder if Adam Lanza was religious. Was Paddock religious? Did they want to go to hell, or were they nihilists who believed in nothing but maybe comped sushi and violent video games. And making a big name for themselves because it's all about individualism and worshiping the self.
You are doing exactly what you accuse atheists of doing. Very sanctimonious of you. But we have seen equal hatred spewed by those who wear their religion on their sleeve, and who try to force their beliefs on the entire population at large whether they believe or not, enough to know that knife cuts both ways.

If Christians agree to keep their religion out of my laws, I frankly don't give a damn what they believe.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wow. How sad.

We had a horrific wreck nearly in front of our house last Saturday night when a local man driving a small Ford van went left of center on the main highway and hit a commercial tour bus head-on coming the other direction from around the bend. My daughter heard the BANG, ran out and heard the man screaming and moaning ...then silence. 911 was called. Traffic backed up in both directions with people running everywhere wondering how they could help. Emergency vehicles arrived in about 20 minutes, and we heard the sound of breaking metal, and saws, as they tried to cut the man out of the wreckage. Life Flight was called and arrived in about half an hour, landing on our neighbors property across from our house. There was a lot of activity ...but then we noticed the sense of urgency was no longer visible. It was an hour after Life Flight landed before anyone was loaded into the helicopter. One gurney obviously carried a victim (the bus driver was not seriously hurt). Later, the other gurney was loaded, but it didn't appear to be as urgent, and you couldn't tell whether or not there was even anyone on it. It was just flat. We later learned that the driver of the Ford van was pronounced dead on arrival.

Life can end that quickly. In the blink of an eye. You'd better make sure you know Jesus before you are taken.
Why? I mean, I get why you believe that. But if you don't believe in god, and you don't believe that jesus, if he even actually existed, is the son of god - well, your statement is something less than compelling. I made up my mind about jesus long ago, and jesus is literally the last thing on my mind when I confront my own death. I mean, it's as irrelevant to me as, say, Vogue magazine, or any number of other irrelevancies.

And before you ask, yes, I have been sick enough to have spent a couple weeks staring at the hospital ceiling, with a machine doing my breathing, knowing every time I dozed off (it wasn't sleep, it was morphine-mediated unconsciousness, and I was very glad to surrender to it) that there was a better-than-even chance I wouldn't wake up. Although I was prayed over, it wasn't prayer that saved me, and while I was grateful for people's concern, I would have been just as grateful if they'd brought me a balloon. It was modern medicine that did the trick. Had modern medicine not existed, I would have been in the ground 40 years ago.

Humans have lots of gods. Some of them are more edifying than others, but they all have one thing in common - humans invented them.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
There are fire and brimstone types but they are few and far between now. The atheists are the new extremists, they are mean and condescending. Mormons and Baptists still come to the door to drop off literature and they are very polite. Atheists are trying to take down Christmas displays or suing to put up satanic symbols next to a crèche. I am neither religious nor atheist but I would choose to hang with religious people before many of the immature, nihilistic, cynical, insensitive atheists of today.

A lot of us went through a libertarian atheist phase as gothy teens but it is sad when they don't grow out of it and they become bitter angry selfish fools posting cruel things on twitter when babies and whole families were just wiped out by a nonbeliever. (Stop with the bible study thing, he did that one time, and he had become raging atheist).

Gee I wonder if Adam Lanza was religious. Was Paddock religious? Did they want to go to hell, or were they nihilists who believed in nothing but maybe comped sushi and violent video games. And making a big name for themselves because it's all about individualism and worshiping the self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Sorry I can only rep you one time. Excellent post.

Incidentally, I received some interesting messages from some of those atheists on here.
Do either of you see the irony in your posts? You complain about atheists being angry, mean, bitter, and selfish fools yet where is your ire for your Christian brethren who ignore the downtrodden, tell gay people they are going to hell (or worse subject them to conversion therapy), etc?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
No class, no shame, no surprise.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:

What does it mean to be neither religious or atheist? Agnostic? Or you are religious just not the fire and brimstone type? Me thinks the latter.

I have never once had an atheist come up to me and try to convert me or tell me they are right and I am wrong. But I get it all the time from the religious types. Does not matter if they are polite or not they believe what they think is superior to what I think and its their job to convert me or "save" me. To me that is offensive. Especially coming from someone who is usually an uneducated half wit. The wee bit of education and study they do have is immersed in a book 2000 years old. And from that they think they are right and I am wrong.

Atheists don't believe in Satan or God. They are considered both in the same category of fake news. Its more of the secularist / humanist types who are concerned about church vs. state and all that. They have some higher power believe but just can't put their finger on what exactly that means.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do either of you see the irony in your posts? You complain about atheists being angry, mean, bitter, and selfish fools yet where is your ire for your Christian brethren who ignore the downtrodden, tell gay people they are going to hell (or worse subject them to conversion therapy), etc?
I never called atheists angry, mean, bitter, and selfish. I joked with DD(note my smiley face after my post), because he seemed to be trolling. I have never told anyone they were going to hell for being gay. I think anyone who says that, regardless of their beliefs, needs to keep those opinions to themselves.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
The atheists are ... condescending.

Quote:
A lot of us went through a libertarian atheist phase as gothy teens but it is sad when they don't grow out of it

you don't say

Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I addressed that as the "fire and brimstone" types. They are declining while atheism is rising. They used to say AIDS was punishment for gay people. I haven't heard that since the eighties.

What I have heard in the past few days is nonbelievers mocking the beliefs of these poor people who were brutally gunned down.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
The issue at hand, I think, is not simply people expressing "Thoughts and prayers."

It is people expressing "Thoughts and prayers" as if it was a substitute for gun control, as if it was going to somehow prevent another mass shooting.

People who express "thoughts and prayers" but oppose gun control legislation are seen as offensive hypocrites who are only pretending to care.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The issue at hand, I think, is not simply people expressing "Thoughts and prayers."

It is people expressing "Thoughts and prayers" as if it was a substitute for gun control.

People who express "thoughts and prayers" but oppose gun control legislation are seen as offensive hypocrites who are only pretending to care.
I don't know of any people that think saying "thoughts and prayers" is a substitute for addressing the real problems. When someone says "God Bless You" after you sneeze, they are not really thinking those three words are going to cure your cold. It is just their way of being polite. I think evaluating mentally unstable people and determining who needs treatment is part of the problem. How we start to do that? I don't know.

I do find it rude that people say something like: all those people in church praying did nothing for them, they are still dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies