Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM

19,491 posts, read 12,122,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I never called atheists angry, mean, bitter, and selfish. I joked with DD(note my smiley face after my post), because he seemed to be trolling. I have never told anyone they were going to hell for being gay. I think anyone who says that, regardless of their beliefs, needs to keep those opinions to themselves.
They are not all like that obviously, this is regarding those mocking religion. It happens a lot especially from the angry young rebels who see god as a flying spaghetti monster. It is a lot more complicated than that I'm afraid.

I am from an area with little religion but we like having churches and the Christmas display, etc. Some atheist group tried to take down the display in a nearby city. Churches do a lot of good in the community.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are fire and brimstone types but they are few and far between now. The atheists are the new extremists, they are mean and condescending. Mormons and Baptists still come to the door to drop off literature and they are very polite. Atheists are trying to take down Christmas displays or suing to put up satanic symbols next to a crèche. I am neither religious nor atheist but I would choose to hang with religious people before many of the immature, nihilistic, cynical, insensitive atheists of today.
You're both right and wrong on that one. I couldn't care less if my next door neighbor or a church puts up a religious Christmas display. That is their choice. I do care if my local courthouse or elementary school puts up a religious Christmas display. Our government should not be promoting any religion. It doesn't matter if the religion is the dominant one in our country; it should not be promoted with my or anyone else's tax dollars. But if my next door neighbor wants to spend $75 on a manger scene at Home Depot, that's their decision.

Quote:
A lot of us went through a libertarian atheist phase as gothy teens but it is sad when they don't grow out of it and they become bitter angry selfish fools posting cruel things on twitter when babies and whole families were just wiped out by a nonbeliever. (Stop with the bible study thing, he did that one time, and he had become raging atheist).

Gee I wonder if Adam Lanza was religious. Was Paddock religious? Did they want to go to hell, or were they nihilists who believed in nothing but maybe comped sushi and violent video games. And making a big name for themselves because it's all about individualism and worshiping the self.
For one thing, it is disputed whether Devin was religious. But it's irrelevant anyway. Criminals come in all stripes, but ultimately, religious beliefs or lack thereof have little to do with the motive for a majority of murders. There are two very common motives for committing murder: love and money, sometimes a combination. If Devin went after the church because of the family connection, the motive was most likely love, often feeling or being rejected by family members.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
I don't know of any people that think saying "thoughts and prayers" is a substitute for addressing the real problems.
Then you must not have been paying attention, because it is everywhere.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
I never called atheists angry, mean, bitter, and selfish. I joked with DD(note my smiley face after my post), because he seemed to be trolling. I have never told anyone they were going to hell for being gay. I think anyone who says that, regardless of their beliefs, needs to keep those opinions to themselves.
I hope to see you say that in future posts on those subjects.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
I addressed that as the "fire and brimstone" types. They are declining while atheism is rising. They used to say AIDS was punishment for gay people. I haven't heard that since the eighties.

What I have heard in the past few days is nonbelievers mocking the beliefs of these poor people who were brutally gunned down.
You should read some other threads on this board. The fire and brimstone types are alive and well.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,041,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You should read some other threads on this board. The fire and brimstone types are alive and well.
And most of them have made an appearance in this thread.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,266,143 times
And to me the "I hate Christians" group is just as bad as the "fire and brimstone" types.

Some of you come down so hard on religion but offer nothing in the forms of compassion. And you think you're the better person spewing hatred at a time like this?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM

29,435 posts, read 9,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're both right and wrong on that one. I couldn't care less if my next door neighbor or a church puts up a religious Christmas display. That is their choice. I do care if my local courthouse or elementary school puts up a religious Christmas display. Our government should not be promoting any religion. It doesn't matter if the religion is the dominant one in our country; it should not be promoted with my or anyone else's tax dollars. But if my next door neighbor wants to spend $75 on a manger scene at Home Depot, that's their decision.

For one thing, it is disputed whether Devin was religious. But it's irrelevant anyway. Criminals come in all stripes, but ultimately, religious beliefs or lack thereof have little to do with the motive for a majority of murders. There are two very common motives for committing murder: love and money, sometimes a combination. If Devin went after the church because of the family connection, the motive was most likely love, often feeling or being rejected by family members.
Agreed...

There is a place for people to honor and promote their religious beliefs as you well describe, and then there is what should be "neutral territory" AKA public places where nobody's beliefs in these regards should take precedent over others. I am just as okay with a Christmas tree on the county court steps as I am a Jewish star or an Islamic star and crescent. That is, I'm not okay with any of those symbols being promoted by our government in any way.

I don't think I've ever been rude or mean about expressing this point of view, but I know we are all inclined to see the "other side" in negative terms while of course we're the "good guys." Fact is, bad people can easily be found on either side of these issues that divide us, whether it be politics or religion. Some people get wrapped up in what the "bad apples" do on either side, but I think what is most important is unbiased objective reasonable consideration to determine what is right vs wrong, regardless whether it suits our personal agenda or not.

Terrorists, to my way of thinking, are deranged mentally unstable people that can hardly be considered in terms of rational behavior, regardless their crazy reasons for doing what they do. Best we can hope is that they tip off someone before it's too late, that they are capable of violent behavior, and that something can be done to prevent them from such behavior.

Pray or hope as we may, that's a tall order and not at all likely to prevent the next crazy person from committing a similar act, but along with all the other things we may fear might happen to us on any given day, we must simply live without fear or the terrorists win.

Ultimately, although every act of terrorism is another one too many, being a victim of a terrorist act is still about as likely as being crushed by furniture...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c5d999508519

I'm not letting the crazies affect my life any more than absolutely necessary anyway...

Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 AM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
I addressed that as the "fire and brimstone" types. They are declining while atheism is rising. They used to say AIDS was punishment for gay people. I haven't heard that since the eighties.

What I have heard in the past few days is nonbelievers mocking the beliefs of these poor people who were brutally gunned down.
The fire and brimstone types are still alive and well. Nothing has changed. You may ignoring it because it does not fit whatever point you are trying to make. When have atheists blamed natural disasters or diseases on people with ideologies different than themselves? Seriously you have a very weak argument.

Gay people to blame for Hurricane Harvey, say evangelical Christian leaders

Gay people to blame for Hurricane Harvey, say evangelical Christian leaders | The Independent

Minister Kevin Swanson, who holds notoriously homophobic views, said Houston had sinned by having a "very, very aggressively pro-homosexual mayor."

Old 11-08-2017, 10:38 AM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And to me the "I hate Christians" group is just as bad as the "fire and brimstone" types.

Some of you come down so hard on religion but offer nothing in the forms of compassion. And you think you're the better person spewing hatred at a time like this?
Both atheists and theists who spew hate are wrong. As is anyone who does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.