Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times

Advertisements

To know if it were a failure, you'd have to look over the history of senior poverty from the 30's to today, while adjusting for other economic factors that would influence the outcome. I think that's a job that neither you nor I know how to perform. Obviously the benefits aren't currently sufficient for everyone to live off of, although as supplementary income it surely helps, but aren't conservatives always yammering about how "You're not supposed to retire off social security you lazy bum, it's meant to supplement your own savings!" and now you're upset about it apparently being just that? SS should pay out more, but that would involve a tax increase or a raising of the cap, which you would probably hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
To know if it were a failure, you'd have to look over the history of senior poverty from the 30's to today, while adjusting for other economic factors that would influence the outcome. I think that's a job that neither you nor I know how to perform. Obviously the benefits aren't currently sufficient for everyone to live off of, although as supplementary income it surely helps, but aren't conservatives always yammering about how "You're not supposed to retire off social security you lazy bum, it's meant to supplement your own savings!" and now you're upset about it apparently being just that? SS should pay out more, but that would involve a tax increase or a raising of the cap, which you would probably hate.
Actually your wrong. conservatives are always yammering about allowing individuals to control their own money and their own retirement.. Perhapse if people were allowed to invest in their own retirment they wouldnt be waiting in line for a $2 box of cereal.

Given that the ROI on Social Security is in the negative, especially for those who die early, its no wonder people are waiting in line for food. Their money has been stolen from them their whole life and now they arent even getting it back.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Please show me where the ROI on Social Security is "in the negative." It is progressively distributed, so it's probably closer to being negative for richer people who put more in, but definitely positive for people who are poor most of their life and don't have much to put in (such as people who would be in the economic situation of having to wait in food lines)... Also, as far as I know, people are allowed to invest in their own retirement as of now.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:11 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Please show me where the ROI on Social Security is "in the negative." It is progressively distributed, so it's probably closer to being negative for richer people who put more in, but definitely positive for people who are poor most of their life and don't have much to put in (such as people who would be in the economic situation of having to wait in food lines)... Also, as far as I know, people are allowed to invest in their own retirement as of now.
SS is a disaster, individuals should control their own retirement.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Ahh, there goes that "progressive" word to explain theft.

Tell me how much someone who is dirt poor, and dies at age 50 gets back from the Social Security that they paid into it. I know the math might be difficult for you so here let me help... $0...

Pay $x into Social Security, get $0 back = NEGATIVE ROI..

Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM

How much would someone dirt poor who dies at age 50 get back from their 401-K?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
I guess as much as they would get back from SS?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Probably, which is what makes pghquest's point not very pointed.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Whatever that individual paid into it, unlike someone who paid into Social Security. I can bet you'll find more people in a food line thats paid into Social Security then you would that pay into a 401K..

Need proof? Please point out the number of people in line that have a 401K.. I'm sure if the number is that great the story lists them.. Oooh, I didnt see that as a factor.. but they sure did mention those on Social Security..

Yes.. Social Security does = food lines for $2 box of cereal, 401Ks <> food lines.. Glad you made a point to bring up 401Ks and the lack of them standing in welfare lines.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM

So they could put it in their coffin? Or do you mean their kids would inherit it? If they're dirt poor they probably wouldn't have that much money saved up in a 401-K so the family wouldn't get much. And without SS the aforementioned poor person would be getting less if he did live, so the result is that we have sort of a balancing game... is it more important for a retirement program to provide more money to people after they retire, or is it more important for it to have a mini-life insurance component if they die early? It's not like you can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies