Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The NRA is NOT an "industry association". It represents the individual gun owner of which makes up its membership.
True. I was describing what industry associations generally do, on behalf of their industry, not so much for profits but on behalf of those in the industry making those profits.

The NRA is a unique animal in that regard. Influential in politics on behalf of gun owners, as you well point out, which of course benefits the gun industry, not directly but indirectly. That money from the gun industry doesn't find it's way into that mix is also a bit much to believe, just like believing the NRA is not a powerful influence in Washington...

Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If you can't understand the difference between a useful, necessary, and highly regulated mode of transportation and a weapon that can only be used to maim and kill, then you're truly hopeless.
Does the tool know what it was designed to do? We have seen all sorts of things used as weapons including cars, trucks, and airplanes. Remember 9/11? Also a firearm can be used for a lot more than just "maiming, and killing". Have you ever heard of target shooting, or skeet, trap, and sporting clays competition? How about the Olympics where firearms are used in competition. Are they maiming, and killing.

Did regulations stop 9/11?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The NRA is not an industry association? You could have fooled me and I have been a member for over three decades. I have seen the NRA go from supporting local shooting ranges and gun clubs to pissing on and on in favor of Right Wing southern slaver plutocrats that dominate the Republican Party.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
At least you didn't deny it. Now, you have to justify it. Sounds like you're running on emotions and feelings again.
Again, you don't hear to well. In fact sometimes I wonder if you are entirely "deaf" to what you are reading...

Of course I don't deny it. What is it you want me to justify? That people are human and humans are capable of injustice toward other humans? That the sound of "emotions and feelings" far as your concerned?

More the typical nonsense and your desire to waste time is what I'm hearing...

Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If you can't understand the difference between a useful, necessary, and highly regulated mode of transportation and a weapon that can only be used to maim and kill, then you're truly hopeless.
So you've got nothing other than you can justify 35,092.

You didn't say whether you'd object to an authority or bureaucracy that gets to transport you either. I simply said removing the privilege and implement from private use. I didn't imply horse and buggy.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Does the tool know what it was designed to do? We have seen all sorts of things used as weapons including cars, trucks, and airplanes. Remember 9/11? Also a firearm can be used for a lot more than just "maiming, and killing". Have you ever heard of target shooting, or skeet, trap, and sporting clays competition? How about the Olympics where firearms are used in competition. Are they maiming, and killing.

So there's no reason to regulate nuclear weapons because they don't know what they are designed to do? Dumb.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Might also want to ask if regulations stopped the Prudhoe Oil Spill disaster and/or whether that means there should be no regulations to stop such a thing from happening. Just saying...

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Might also want to ask if regulations stopped the Prudhoe Oil Spill disaster and/or whether that means there should be no regulations to stop such a thing from happening. Just saying...
I don't argue in absolutes. Of course, SOME regulation is needed, and I am fine with regs that make oil companies clean up their spills. However, the person I was responding to thinks inanimate objects have intelligence, and their own will. So a car, truck, or airplane can't be used as a weapon because it wasn't designed as one, so lacks the "intent".

Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
So you've got nothing other than you can justify 35,092.

You didn't say whether you'd object to an authority or bureaucracy that gets to transport you either. I simply said removing the privilege and implement from private use. I didn't imply horse and buggy.
With respect to cars, society has determined that the value that modern transportation brings justifies a certain amount of risk. Just like any regulation, it requires a balancing of competing interests. The same applies to guns, except the value that guns bring to society is far less than that brought by cars.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I don't argue in absolutes. Of course, SOME regulation is needed, and I am fine with regs that make oil companies clean up their spills. However, the person I was responding to thinks inanimate objects have intelligence, and their own will. So a car, truck, or airplane can't be used as a weapon because it wasn't designed as one, so lacks the "intent".
No one said cars and trucks can't be used as a weapon. Don't be purposefully obtuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies