Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
call it what you want- IDIOTS with them -kill a lot of kids
Abortion technicians kill an nth power more. I wouldn't call them idiots though.

If kids are your focus.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
In reality, the founding fathers obviously did not foresee the advances in technology. In their time, "arms" meant knives, swords, bow and arrow, and flintlock pistols and muskets with a rate of fire of 1-3 (inaccurate) shots per minute... I am sure even a modern crossbow is deadlier than what qualified as "arms" back in the late 18th century.

As a result, I am in favor of banning all advanced forms of weaponry (who knows, in 50 years we may have plutonium tipped arrows, so obviously those should be banned), and restricting "arms" to mean pistols for home self defense and hunting rifles for hunting. Imo this would follow the spirit of the original document.
"In reality," you do NOT know what you are talking about.

"In their time, "arms" meant knives, swords, bow and arrow, and flintlock pistols and muskets with a rate of fire of 1-3 (inaccurate) shots per minute.."

"As a result, I am in favor of banning all advanced forms of weaponry"

Of COURSE you ARE becuae you DON'T know what you are talking about.

If you were to read more posts you would NOT make such ignorant claims.

"
Thomas Jefferson’s “Assault Rifle” – The Girardoni Air Rifle

"The Girardoni air rifle was 22-shot, magazine-fed, nearly silent .46 caliber repeating rifle adopted in 1780 by the Austrian Army. Thomas Jefferson purchased two of these rifles, which he sent west with Lewis and Clark.", CIVILIANS.

"
Does it have a high-capacity magazine? Got it!

Is it capable of firing 22 aimed shots in a minute? Got it!

Is it a military weapon? Got it!

Was it manufactured during the American Revolutionary War? Got it!"

Semi-automatics WERE AVAILABLE back then.

IF what you, and the rest of the anti-gun crowd claim is true, why DIDN'T the government BAN them?

"Imo this would follow the spirit of the original document."

If you want I can re-post the quotes AGAIN from the people who WROTE the original documents which shows AGAIN, you do NOT know what you are talking about!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hehe the left is going nuts because Trump correctly said the shooting was a result of a mental health issue.

It's just the shock of Trump speaking the truth about something.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Individual gun ownership was never intended in the 2nd Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Its absolutely clear that when they drafted the 2nd Amendment they had a militia in mind not private ownership. They borrowed the concept from the Articles of Confederation Article VI

every state shall always keep up a well regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutred, and shall provide and constantly have ready for use, in public stores, a due number of field-pieces and tents, and a proper quantity of arms, ammunition and camp equipage.

Also the phrase "the people" does not refer to individuals, it refers to a collective political body. When the Constitution calls out specific individuals it uses the phrase "Persons". As seen in the 5th Amendment

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a
presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury

The fact we have allowed the 2nd Amendment to be interpreted to mean individual private ownership is not what the founding fathers intended.

Setting aside the fact that this has been debunked repeatedly by other historical documents and the simple fact that not only are there no historical accounts of the federal government enforcing the premise that only the military should have arms by confiscation of arms from civilians.....indeed civilians owned artillery and battleships.....

What is the point of trying to make the "well regulated militia" argument.......if, as Liberals claim over and over....."nobody wants to take your guns"?

If, after all, you think the 2nd amendment only applies to the military, wouldn't that interpretation require confiscation of arms from civilians?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
All depends, M10/11 out there around 4 or 5 K Riesings between 4-6k (ugly gun IMOP) I got my PPSH for 8k but sold my MP40 for 15k. Sweet BM59 out there I'm looking at 12k. Point is they are out there. If they opened up the registry for a week Holy Socks the money would change hands!
I was speaking more about M-16's as they seem to be the demonized weapon of choice today, but that's good info. Thanks. I am not into NFA/Class III, but may put my toe in the water with an SBR, or suppressor.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Don't look now but I'm loading up my Armalite Rifle 15 for a day of deer hunting. 6.5 grendel, 123 grain SST 2500 feet per second at the barrel and still cooking over 2000 fps at 400 yards. It's an absolute near perfect deer and hog gun.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The people refers to a collective body, not all individuals. Hence subjects within the people can legally be allowed only partial Constitutional rights. Like prisoners for example. The 8th Amendment applies to them when it bars cruel and unusual punishment but the 2nd Amendment is revoked for those individuals.

Every state has a National Guard. New York State National Guard use to be called "The New York State Militia". These entities are exactly what was being referred to in the 2nd Amendment and Articles of Confederation as composing a militia of the people.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It refers to the Militia as being the crucial component the the security of a free state. Not individuals, the militia. Why it says The People is because in that time period it was very common for governments to use foreign born mercenaries. Like the Hessians for example. The framers of the Constitution wanted to insure that our militias would be composed of only American Citizens.

The notion that the Founders thought that stating something as glaringly obvious as the military's right to bear arms would be so important as to list it 2nd only to the freedom of speech in the Bill of Rights......

Is frankly, preposterously stupid.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't look now but I'm loading up my Armalite Rifle 15 for a day of deer hunting. 6.5 grendel, 123 grain SST 2500 feet per second at the barrel and still cooking over 2000 fps at 400 yards. It's an absolute near perfect deer and hog gun.

That's better than .30-30 ballistics out of a lever gun. Very nice. I reload also, so that would be a great round for me. I plan to switch over to all things 6.5MM for most of my hunting. Lots of good choices out there depending on platform you're using. 260 Rem, 6.5MM Swede, Grendel, Creedmoor, etc. Of course the AR is better suited for the Grendel, and Creedmoor rounds. Bolt gun, I may go Swede.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:22 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Weapons training ought to be tax deductible, and you shouldn't have to itemize in order to claim it. The GOP needs to add it to their tax plan.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What a ridiculous argument. Pray tell, how many pools have walked into a church and killed 2 dozen men, women and children?
Not at all "ridiculous". The statement was "Idiots with them kill a lot of kids" so count up over the years how many parents have done something stupid or violent and severely hurt or killed their kids or how many kids have drowned in pools vs how many kids have been killed by an "assault rifle". Let's then add in ATV's,Motorcycles,Bicycles,Skateboards/Scooters etc.

Should they ban parents or pools or any of those things listed or just the scary looking things with a barrel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies