Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 04:18 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Really? I always thought it is already illegal to actually purchase assault weapons in the united states.
Not illegal.

Machine guns are readily available if you live in a free state. Pay the money, complete and submit a form 4, and wait. Easy peasy. No permit or license required.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Not illegal.

Machine guns are readily available if you live in a free state. Pay the money, complete and submit a form 4, and wait. Easy peasy. No permit or license required.
Ok I guess i remembered it wrong. I always thought it is already illegal to purchase "assault weapon" in the U.S.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Do you agree that the rabbit hole just got deeper?
Something from the anti gun nuts got deeper. They just can't help proving how little they know.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Actually, the sale and purchase of assault weapons is illegal in the United States without a class 1 federal firearms permit. Assault weapons are defined as a weapon capable of sustained fully automatic fire.

Assault rifle can therefore, be a misleading term. Some people don’t consider a rifle on semi-automatic an assault rifle. In fact you can very quickly discharge a frightening number of bullets on a semi-automatic setting.
Assault rifle, Not illegal. No such thing as a "class 1 federal firearms permit"
Assault rifle is in no way misleading. I have no idea what people you are referring to, select fire or full auto is just that, regardless of what someone "considers".
If you lack knowledge on a subject you should refrain from passing on incorrect information.

Quote:
I'll give it a try.

Assault Rifle - Select fire capable, fires an intermediate rifle cartridge.

"Assault Weapon" - Manufactured term for political expediency.

Your first sentence in the referenced post should have said "Assault Rifle" instead of "Assault Weapon" (note the other mistake from your post that I addressed previously).
Correct.

Quote:
Ok I guess i remembered it wrong. I always thought it is already illegal to purchase "assault weapon" in the U.S.
You should really stop using that term incorrectly. It is not a legal term nor is it a term with an established definition.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I am attached to the M14. Well now the M1A............

Oh, don't mistake me. I'm old school as well. Both the M1A and Garand hold a special place for me and refuse to go polymer with my pistol. it's 1911A1 all the way. But, being as the AR platform is current service issue I have familiarized myself with it and own one.

As has been the case for citizens since the days of the Charleville musket. The AR platform is what we use today. have come to vastly appreciate its modular construction. Caliber changes and upgrades are a breeze. It's much easer to clean than a Charleville.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh, don't mistake me. I'm old school as well. Both the M1A and Garand hold a special place for me and refuse to go polymer with my pistol. it's 1911A1 all the way. But, being as the AR platform is current service issue I have familiarized myself with it and own one.

As has been the case for citizens since the days of the Charleville musket. The AR platform is what we use today. have come to vastly appreciate its modular construction. Caliber changes and upgrades are a breeze. It's much easer to clean than a Charleville.
Wish I could afford one, but sadly out of my price range.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Not illegal.

Or make your own, or inherited it.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Wish I could afford one, but sadly out of my price range.

I'm not made of money either unfortunately. However, if you hit the gunshows you can build an AR less expensively and to your liking. a complete lower can be put together for around 120-50 dollars mil spec barrel in 16-20 inch may set you back around 100 bucks. Last one bought the guy sold it to me for 60 bucks. The bolt carrier group is the most expensive item at 120 bucks and up from there.

I got lucky at the last show as t was very AR heavy. Ever vendor there was trying to sell AR stuff. If I didn't like one guys prices and he wouldn't budge I'd just walk away ad find someone willing to deal. Which wasn't hard. Competition is a buyers friend.

Vendors were so eager to sell I was in AR heaven. One guy wanted 150 bucks for a bolt group and wouldn't budge an inch. Two tables down the guy threw in an upper receiver with the bolt group for 150. I had some critical parts at home like the buttstock assembly with the buffer, an aftermarket pistol grip (but the 60 dollar lower kit I bought had a mil spec in it).

I put a complete rifle, well carbine actually, together for under 500 bucks. I traded it to a buddy for a bunch of cool stuff I needed for other shooting purposes. My AR that I kept which I also built has some custom touches and it set me back around 700 complete. And I added 200 worth of optics. A Bushnell red dot. It also has low light capability. I ran it with my 4x12 Bushnell hunting scope for a long time and it was just dandy but not much good in low light.

Build your own man. It's a Leggo set for guys who like shooting. No need for any gunsmith help. I would recommend spending the 25 bucks for the armorers wrench. When you get to the barrel and castle nut you will be glad you did.

I didn't have one but I got lucky and my gear wrench for the Ditch Witch worked perfectly. Like it was made for it actually. Build it and hit the range. t's an accurate (built right extremely accurate) and fun sporter. Mine will outshoot my sons VTR varmint rifle in 22 250 at 200 yards if I use heavier bullets like the 69 gr Nosler HPBT. The 75 gr from various makers was good as well.

So contrary to what many are saying here the AR is not just some spray and pray bullet hose.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Complete flat top upper 199. 1:9 twist melonite 16 in barrel
Lower parts kit with grip, all springs and detents, trigger, buffer tube, spring, and buffer 62
Anderson Lower 29

Already have tools and a vice.
Free shipping on all but the lowers.

14 dollars fed ex 2 day shipping. Plus 25 for the background check

Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm not made of money either unfortunately. However, if you hit the gunshows you can build an AR less expensively and to your liking. a complete lower can be put together for around 120-50 dollars mil spec barrel in 16-20 inch may set you back around 100 bucks. Last one bought the guy sold it to me for 60 bucks. The bolt carrier group is the most expensive item at 120 bucks and up from there.

I got lucky at the last show as t was very AR heavy. Ever vendor there was trying to sell AR stuff. If I didn't like one guys prices and he wouldn't budge I'd just walk away ad find someone willing to deal. Which wasn't hard. Competition is a buyers friend.

Vendors were so eager to sell I was in AR heaven. One guy wanted 150 bucks for a bolt group and wouldn't budge an inch. Two tables down the guy threw in an upper receiver with the bolt group for 150. I had some critical parts at home like the buttstock assembly with the buffer, an aftermarket pistol grip (but the 60 dollar lower kit I bought had a mil spec in it).

I put a complete rifle, well carbine actually, together for under 500 bucks. I traded it to a buddy for a bunch of cool stuff I needed for other shooting purposes. My AR that I kept which I also built has some custom touches and it set me back around 700 complete. And I added 200 worth of optics. A Bushnell red dot. It also has low light capability. I ran it with my 4x12 Bushnell hunting scope for a long time and it was just dandy but not much good in low light.

Build your own man. It's a Leggo set for guys who like shooting. No need for any gunsmith help. I would recommend spending the 25 bucks for the armorers wrench. When you get to the barrel and castle nut you will be glad you did.

I didn't have one but I got lucky and my gear wrench for the Ditch Witch worked perfectly. Like it was made for it actually. Build it and hit the range. t's an accurate (built right extremely accurate) and fun sporter. Mine will outshoot my sons VTR varmint rifle in 22 250 at 200 yards if I use heavier bullets like the 69 gr Nosler HPBT. The 75 gr from various makers was good as well.

So contrary to what many are saying here the AR is not just some spray and pray bullet hose.
I buy uppers fully assembled, for less than I can buy all the parts separately, before my labor to assemble it.

The cheapest way for me, is to buy the metal and make from scratch, but the labor hours quadruple or more. Less than $50 in metal.

I get blemished billet lowers in 3 or 5 packs, for $40-$50 each.
The lower parts group and collapsible stock, run right at $100
Assembled uppers, $200 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies