Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
It would hurt them worse. I remember Dems disavowing obama in 2014, didn't help them. I love seeing republicans squirm, get something done or get the boot.

I actually think the way the Dems disavowed Obama in 2014 laid the groundwork for the number of minorities and liberals who stayed home in 2016. The millennia black vote killed them in particular.

The Clintons campaigning so heavily for Alison Grimes Lundgren really sticks out in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.
Great post. When Trump announced his candidacy I remember thinking that this should be good for some entertainment for about six months. And here we are. There couldn’t be two worse candidates.

And to try to stay on topic, according to Trump, Gillespie lost because he didn’t fully embrace Him. I just have a picture in my mind from the Empire Strikes Back when Darth Vader tells Luke “you don’t know the power of the dark side”.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:36 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what everyone is failing to note is that the person that opposed trump in the general election is much worse that trump. ...
I disagree.

Clinton is a political animal of course, and represents some of the worst aspects of our political system (in the same manner as Mitch McConnell actually, a lifetime of political engagement and power-brokering), but that doesn't make her worse than Trump by any stretch of the imagination.

Her biggest problem has been a 30 year smear campaign directed against her, because she was considered such a political threat. I have watched this unfold over decades. She is principled and tries to do good things inside and outside of government, but had become more concerned with being the first woman president and striking her blow against the glass ceiling than supporting her party's traditional causes. I personally have simply regarded her as an idealist with mediocre leadership potential and outsized ambition.

Trump didn't have a decades long smear campaign directed against him, just a reputation as a hustler and swindler he forged himself, mostly as a New York real estate Jack Ashe. He has only himself to blame for whatever people think of him, and his behavior from the white house has done nothing to assuage the public's concerns (in fact he has made it worse). His exaggerations and lies seem to reflect a lifetime habit forged in selling his brand and taking people's money.

Trump is a carnival barker with no leadership ability. He will sign anything ... anything! that his party puts in front of him because he wants to look like a winner (and thereby advance his own personal selfish agenda). Being a 'winner' in this context is a higher priority than being a man of principle or a man of the people.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
The 2016 election result was a National Brain Fart. A Perfectly Bad Storm. Combo of angry voters, a badly run Dem campaign, lots of Russian interference.

But it seems most Americans are coming to terms with the awful result of that brain fart and intend to turn this ship around in the mid-terms. They KNOW a vote for a Dem for House or Senate is a vote FOR impeachment and everyone is tired of this s*** show.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
actually the only fair tax is a consumption tax. eliminate all income taxes, and payroll taxes, and go to a national sales tax of say 6%. then it wouldnt matter if people work "under the table", you could eliminate a lot of new hire paperwork, and a lot of crap businesses have to go through every time payroll comes up. businesses could save a ton of money because smaller businesses wouldnt have to hire a company to do their payrolls, they could do them themselves.

but no one could win on such a platform either for the reason you listed.
That would be the most fair. Rich people who buy really expensive luxury cars, yachts, expensive second homes, private planes, etc. would pay more. These things are choices they are making, not necessities. And to them, it's a drop in the bucket. They still have plenty left over for necessities.

Poor people who drive an old, second hand car, their kids wear cheap clothes, they never go anywhere would pay much less in taxes. They are buying necessities and have few, if any, luxuries. I know people who are like this, working sometimes 80 hours a week and the taxes are killing them.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
They must certainly are in a pickle

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking pull-EEZ!

Quote:

not only are the democrats blocking trumps efforts,

Dems are powerless and irrelevant. Haven't been in such a weak position in 90 years.

tRump doesn't need one single Dem vote in congress to advance the Pub agenda. His party (and yours) controls ALL the levers of power.

No excuses.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is what I wrote in a similar thread this morning: concerning Mr. Trump's post-election tweet about the Virginia Republican candidates loss:

"When I saw President Trump's tweet last night, I certainly thought it ill-advised. Republicans must be thinking to themselves that Mr. Trump is, perhaps, not the best person to have in your corner.

Let us recall when the US House passed that "Repeal Obamacare" bill. Mr. Trump hosted a victory party for House Republicans in the Rose Garden, called it a perfect bill, praised all. Yet, just a few weeks later, after it began to look like the bill would not pass the Senate, Mr. Trump called the House bill 'mean', subsequently affirming that he used the term, and even claimed that Mr. Obama 'stole' the word from him.

For those Trump supporters with a short memory:

Trump confirms he called health care bill 'mean' - CNNPolitics

It was an appalling example of Mr. Trump throwing his party members under the bus. As I said back when this happened, you may be sure that in November 2018 the Democrats will be bringing this up. Since all House Republicans voted for said bill, none can escape that particular tarring.

Republicans will also recall Mr. Trump's tepid endorsement of Mr. Strange, even stating during the rally speech, with Mr. Strange even standing there, that perhaps he was wrong to endorse Mr. Strange.

Yes, those House Republicans running for re-election next year, as well as those Senate Republicans (at least, those that have not recently announced that "I'm out of here") have a difficult choice to make: 'embrace' Mr. Trump and what he (at times) stands for, or distance themselves from Mr. Trump."
He's going to wind up all alone up there.

Even the congressional Rs who are doing their best to follow his leadership will be less and less inclined to work with him. He's not trustworthy - and never has been.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The 2016 election result was a National Brain Fart. A Perfectly Bad Storm. Combo of angry voters, a badly run Dem campaign, lots of Russian interference.

But it seems most Americans are coming to terms with the awful result of that brain fart and intend to turn this ship around in the mid-terms. They KNOW a vote for a Dem for House or Senate is a vote FOR impeachment and everyone is tired of this s*** show.
Glad despite the evidence to the contrary with the Dem party still in shambles that you are able to keep attempting to be positive.

Trump is still the POTUS. No reason to think that 2018 will see a rise of the Dims, I mean the Dems, as if I remember it was said that because Trump was the GOP presidential candidate that it would drive a turnaround in Congress in 2016, which it did not.

It's good to have a dream, so go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That would be the most fair. Rich people who buy really expensive luxury cars, yachts, expensive second homes, private planes, etc. would pay more. These things are choices they are making, not necessities. And to them, it's a drop in the bucket. They still have plenty left over for necessities.

Poor people who drive an old, second hand car, their kids wear cheap clothes, they never go anywhere would pay much less in taxes. They are buying necessities and have few, if any, luxuries. I know people who are like this, working sometimes 80 hours a week and the taxes are killing them.
While it sounds fair, it really isn't. The poor still make a lot of purchases and end up with a high tax. Does this mythical 6% add to the state and local tax? That would make the poor here in my city paying almost 15.5% on grocery purchases and every other purchase also. Keep in mind that they have less money to work with in the first place.

I agree with this article that the only fair tax is an income tax which is based on one's ability to pay: Is a "Consumption Tax" Fair? and also: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimblas.../#2d7f40492597

Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Cool More and More GOP Incumbents Will Disavow trump

We'll see.

So far, the GOP has completely surrendered to tRump and his incompetent dishonesty.

Outside of a small handful of senators and congressmen, they're all (including so-called "leaders") right in step with the fool and doing all they can in congressional "investigations" to cover his increasingly exposed broad backside, even in the face of growing evidence of his involvement with Russia. The lunatic right wing media machine is screaming "B-b-but Hillary! B-b-but OBAMA!" incessantly and at the top of their lungs.

Nope!

The GOP and the right are entirely complicit in every facet of Trumpism.

They're absolutely on board with him.

Don't be cowards. Step up and take responsibility.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies