Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It's not just the VA race that has incumbent GOP scared....look at the local races in the Philly burbs where trump did well and a GOP stronghold. Yesterday some seats went to Dems that have NEVER been Dems. It's a bit of inside baseball but these local races are not lost on GOP incumbents in House and Senate. Look for many more GOP retirements and many more GOP losses.

Democrats surged Tuesday night to wins in county row office races. - News - Bucks County Courier Times - Levittown, PA
Democrats will hold county row office positions for the first time in more than 30 years.
Democrats flipped 2 Georgia seats that were so red, they were entirely uncontested last year.

This wasn't just NJ or VA it was every state that had an election. Even small local elections. My hometown kicked out its Republican mayor and voted Dem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
I have zero doubt considered how they've done so far, that the Repubs are going to ********** up, and lose everything next year. Zero doubt. Bunch of scumbag cowards, afraid to make a move. I don't believe it's a comment about President Trump though. The same thing happened to Obama. We don't seem to like having one party in total control for very long.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
The curtain is being pulled back slowly.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Democrats flipped 2 Georgia seats that were so red, they were entirely uncontested last year.

This wasn't just NJ or VA it was every state that had an election. Even small local elections. My hometown kicked out its Republican mayor and voted Dem.
That's what I'm talkin' about. Voters are trying to erase the s*** stain of trump, at all levels. He's a total embarrassment, dumb as dirt and while his schtick was funny during the campaign, his side-show presidency is.....sad!

Last edited by dothetwist; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So, where's the repeal of Obamacare?

Where is Trump's infrastructure bill?

Where is the legislation to "build the wall"?

Why is tax reform taking so long?

Where is any major legislation that Trump promised at all?
All those exist only in the imaginations of tRump's teabagging followers.

Quote:
Results don't support this notion of an omnipotent party that can do anything it wants.

What happened last night in VA and NJ isn't going to help things. Any number of GOP Congressman are going to be having second thoughts about this President and his agenda.

Irrelevant? Hell. As a democrat,I wouldn't trade places with Trump and the GOP Congress at this point. We are seeing the beginnings of a GOP implosion.
I want tRump to remain in office long enough to ensure deeper damage to the GOP and to wake up millions more voters to their anti-family and anti-middle class agenda.

He's hard at work.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
More and more GOP incumbents will be disavowed by the voters. Drain the swamp! That is what Bannon is doing by vetting populist candidates to replace them.

Dems should be doing the same with their own entitled, lazy arsed politicians. Both parties equally bad.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the only fair tax is a consumption tax. eliminate all income taxes, and payroll taxes, and go to a national sales tax of say 6%.
You need to put a "1" in front of that "6." California has a sales tax of 10% and no way would that pay for anything. The VAT in the UK is 20% and they still pay additional income tax and National Insurance.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
More and more GOP incumbents will be disavowed by the voters. Drain the swamp! That is what Bannon is doing by vetting populist candidates to replace them.

Dems should be doing the same with their own entitled, lazy arsed politicians. Both parties equally bad.
Actually, no, they're not. And I think that's what we're seeing here - that Trump has shown a lot of people that it does make a difference which party is in power. Undoubtedly that difference is a lot smaller than we could wish - but it's there, and it's worth turning out to vote.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You need to put a "1" in front of that "6." California has a sales tax of 10% and no way would that pay for anything. The VAT in the UK is 20% and they still pay additional income tax and National Insurance.
True. Base on 2012 consumer spending, a 5% VAT would have raised $356 billion. The budget that year was $3.5 trillion. We would need a 50% VAT in order to meet that budget.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.
definitely.

I talk to people who 2 years ago could not have named the 3 branches and now they know every cabinet position , they understand much more about how the government works, how elections work, national health plans and so much more.

the irony is that it took the most ignorant and debased POTUS in generations to get the public engaged and interested and educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies