Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that conversion therapy can make a gay person straight?
Yes, the power of prayer combined with Christian counseling can make a gay person straight 16 10.81%
No, sexual orientation is unchangeable and conversion therapy is ineffective at best and dangerous at worst 132 89.19%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:37 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do not believe people are born gay. It must be a psychological disorder or life experiences that make one turn to this sinful and unnatural way of life. I am a bible believing Christian and I believe what the Bible says about it....it is a sinful way of life. I support any effort to correct people lost in this sinful and dangerous lifestyle and that includes conversion therapy. I realize this opinion is not popular in this millenial driven PC era but while social values may change biblical truth does not.
Your opinion is not popular in this millennium, but was much more popular in 5 BC when the Bible was written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Good point, people who voted yes pretty much admitted that they can become gay with some type of therapy.
Well, I didn't vote but believe it is more nurture than nature. At the same time, I don't know what the conversion therapy typically entails and find mainstream Christianity problematic anyway. All I do know is with God, all things are possible. So change can happen. Not saying it is easy and behavioral changes tend to be very challenging in general.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well, I didn't vote but believe it is more nurture than nature. At the same time, I don't know what the conversion therapy typically entails and find mainstream Christianity problematic anyway. All I do know is with God, all things are possible. So change can happen. Not saying it is easy and behavioral changes tend to be very challenging in general.
So if you prayed to god to make you gay you would become gay, (I'm assuming youre straight.)

Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
So if you prayed to god to make you gay you would become gay, (I'm assuming youre straight.)
God does not force us to follow His principles. If I want to engage in homosexual behaviors, I am free to do so, as is anyone else.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
If there is a god thingie why is he/she/it so hung up about our sex lives? Seems like god is the one with the problem.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
If there is a god thingie why is he/she/it so hung up about our sex lives? Seems like god is the one with the problem.
As Depeche Mode once said "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors but I think God has a sick sense of humor and when I die expect to find him laughing"

Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I'm skeptical that such would work. Having written that, we probably wouldn't know of many potential success stories. After all, it is often shame, etc., that lead many people to undergo so-called conversion therapy (what there is to be "converted" from is beyond me); note, I'm talking about those people who voluntarily enter into such therapy, not minors who are forced into camps by parents/guardians. If one is ashamed of being gay, I doubt that they'd go out bragging that they were "converted."

Old 11-09-2017, 02:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Reading opinions like this piece of garbage make me grateful I don't live below the Mason Dixon line. Seriously some of you proudly proclaim your ignorance and backwardness like it's a good thing SMH. What an asinine opinion.
Believing and trusting God is not ignorance. I realize many of the so called “progressive “ types here on CD are residents of large northern and coastal cities where my beliefs are ridiculed so I will take this comment with a grain of salt. Just know that much of America still agrees with what I said and that is why there are more red states than blue, that is why congress and the White House are in the hands of republicans and that is why you have seen this huge backlash against the liberal PC culture. There are still a lot of Christian people who believe what I do. I do not believe nor will I ever accept the left wing narrative of how our future will be, especially on this issue, or any other for that matter. I will not rest or be silent until traditional American values are restored and the cancer of liberalism is cut out of this nation. You say I am ignorant for believing in God and promoting the values of the Bible, I say you are foolish and lost for not following God.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Believing and trusting God is not ignorance. I realize many of the so called “progressive “ types here on CD are residents of large northern and coastal cities where my beliefs are ridiculed so I will take this comment with a grain of salt. Just know that much of America still agrees with what I said and that is why there are more red states than blue, that is why congress and the White House are in the hands of republicans and that is why you have seen this huge backlash against the liberal PC culture. There are still a lot of Christian people who believe what I do. I do not believe nor will I ever accept the left wing narrative of how our future will be, especially on this issue, or any other for that matter. I will not rest or be silent until traditional American values are restored and the cancer of liberalism is cut out of this nation. You say I am ignorant for believing in God and promoting the values of the Bible, I say you are foolish and lost for not following God.
Your views are ridiculed because they are at odds with the teachings of Jesus, and not very Christ like at all

Your'e old testament, not new testament, and certainly not the word of Jesus, that is for sure.

The power of Christ compels you!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Your views are ridiculed because they are at odds with the teachings of Jesus, and not very Christ like at all

Your'e old testament, not new testament, and certainly not the word of Jesus, that is for sure.

The power of Christ compels you!!!!
Jesus was sent to us because we are sinful, because we cannot follow gods law. The Old Testament is more about he law. However that does not mean God the son freed us from following Old Testament law other than some of the ceremonial stuff he directly addressed in the New Testament. That means the Ten Commandments still stand as do all the other laws in the Old Testament. This includes those on homosexuality. The good news of Jesus is that we are saved, the sins paid for on the cross. All sinners are offered salvation through Jesus, even homosexuals who repent. Also the New Testament does make mention of homosexual sins, just not as harshly as it is mentioned in the Old Testament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies