Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that conversion therapy can make a gay person straight?
Yes, the power of prayer combined with Christian counseling can make a gay person straight 16 10.81%
No, sexual orientation is unchangeable and conversion therapy is ineffective at best and dangerous at worst 132 89.19%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I don't think the old school conversion therapy worked, I don't know anybody who believed in it. I do know that a couple of my kid's classmates that were gay in high school are no longer gay. However, I chalk that up to confusion, hello.
I had a friend in high school who was bi. He dated guys during college and then eventually settled down into a heterosexual marriage to a woman. Conversion therapy proponents use situations like this as evidence that orientation can be changed but in reality it has nothing to do with conversion therapy and everything to do with the fact that the guy was bisexual.

Also, high school is a very confusing time for a lot of people and some people don't know what they want or who they are at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I think that is pragmatic advice. I still don't talk about my atheism around my grandparents and go through the motions if they are around - they are old and I know it would distress them so it isn't a huge deal to run through the motions for a short time.

In your example, survival is ALWAYS the #1 priority, it takes precedence over any kind of philosophical positions. If you are gay in some parts of Baptistanistan then that might mean staying on the down low till you can find a good way out.
You'd be surprised how many liberals out there advice young people to be out and proud. Homelessness among lgbt kids are the highest because often times they have no where to go after they got kicked out. My fiance luckily was taken in by his grandparents.

We met when he had just finished high school. For the first couple years we were together, I often woke up in the middle of the night finding him crying in his sleep.

Christians claim to have the moral high ground, yet they neglect to consider the psychological impact of abandoning their children.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You can't make someone something they are not. Just like you are not going to make me like brussel sprouts.
Heh, even if we sent you to a brussel sprouts camp?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Without seeing some sort of clinical study I have to take the null position that it doesn't work.

I believe that there is a broad variety of sexual attitudes out there just like there are ranges of people with and without autism for example. You have people that are bi or that are bi leaning hetero or homosexual etc. etc. etc.

I've seen people change over time but then again one would need to factor out confusion at a young age imo.

Also, homosexuality is absolutely not just a birth thing (in my opinion) as it can be shown to have cultural components throughout history around the world (Greeks, Romans, Thailand etc.) like greek armies in the field who would then go home to their wives or men hiring "lady boy" prostitutes not being consider homosexuality etc. etc. etc.

Frankly, I generally oppose any such practice of "forced intervention" and would rather people just accept others and show a little kindness instead.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Haha I love Brussels sprouts and my fiance absolutely hates them. We were joking about that the other day and I suggested he attend a Brussels sprouts camp.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:49 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The story of Exodus International is all one really needs to know on if this practice works.

Only dinosaurs and mental midgets, I'm looking at you Jeff Sessions, believe it works or think that it's a mental illness.
Yet, many of the local Exodus International subsidiaries split and are still in operation. I spent two years in one of them.

Most people would be surprised how many people believe that conversion therapy actually works, especially here in the Bible Belt. It's a tragedy. I'm almost four years past quitting conversion therapy (I stopped when they wanted to do an exorcism) and I am still struggling to come to terms with my sexuality and what that means in terms of my relationship with my family.

Of course, most people will simply say I didn't pray hard enough or I didn't want to be straight enough or I should have let them do the exorcism. They can never admit that they are wrong.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You can't make someone something they are not. Just like you are not going to make me like brussel sprouts.
This is too true. My husband tries to make me like lentils, I try to get him to tolerate tomatoes. It ain't happening.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Of course, most people will simply say I didn't pray hard enough or I didn't want to be straight enough or I should have let them do the exorcism. They can never admit that they are wrong.
Ever try to break a rubber tire? A rubber tire gives when it knows it is wrong, it is flexible and can accommodate structures that are not perfectly shaped to conform to it.

Ever try to break glass under tension? 1 crack and the whole thing explodes. Fundamentalist mindsets are like glass under tension, the tension is cognitive dissonance, and acknowledgement of one single failing of the philosophy can lead to the whole backlog of stuff they have been pushing to the corners of their mind for years to fall one after the other like an avalanche.

In short; "It's not you, it's them."

Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
question for those who think it works: could YOU be persuaded to change your sexual orientation?

if you say 'no' well then, there's your answer to whether intervention works or not.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Aghhhh!!! Perish the thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies