Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that conversion therapy can make a gay person straight?
Yes, the power of prayer combined with Christian counseling can make a gay person straight 16 10.81%
No, sexual orientation is unchangeable and conversion therapy is ineffective at best and dangerous at worst 132 89.19%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Despite the fact that the American Psychiatric Association strongly denounces efforts to change a person's sexual orientation and former high-profile ex-gay movement leaders have come out against the practice, many conservative evangelicals still believe that ex-gay conversion therapy is a "cure" for homosexual orientation. Groups like Focus on the Family, the Family Research Council, the American Family Association, and the Southern Baptist Convention are among those who are major supporters of the practice.

While there are different types of "conversion therapy" ranging from your stereotypical "pray away the gay camps" to therapy sessions that are reminiscent of AA meetings, most conversion therapy focuses on a combination of counseling and prayer in hopes that an individual's homosexual orientation will become heterosexual. Most people who go through conversion therapy deal with long-reaching psychological issues and are at a higher risk for suicide.

The fact of the matter is most people who go through conversion therapy will eventually revert to a homosexual orientation later in life. While it teaches people to repress their sexual orientation, it does not change it. This has led some evangelicals, who otherwise believe homosexuality is sinful, to denounce conversion therapy and instead demand lifelong celibacy for same-sex attracted individuals.

Whether or not you believe homosexuality is sinful, do you think ex-gay conversion therapy works? Why or why not?

You are who you are because this is how you were born. I was born a heterosexual. Do you think some conversion therapy would make me gay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Despite the fact that the American Psychiatric Association strongly denounces efforts to change a person's sexual orientation and former high-profile ex-gay movement leaders have come out against the practice, many conservative evangelicals still believe that ex-gay conversion therapy is a "cure" for homosexual orientation. Groups like Focus on the Family, the Family Research Council, the American Family Association, and the Southern Baptist Convention are among those who are major supporters of the practice.

While there are different types of "conversion therapy" ranging from your stereotypical "pray away the gay camps" to therapy sessions that are reminiscent of AA meetings, most conversion therapy focuses on a combination of counseling and prayer in hopes that an individual's homosexual orientation will become heterosexual. Most people who go through conversion therapy deal with long-reaching psychological issues and are at a higher risk for suicide.

The fact of the matter is most people who go through conversion therapy will eventually revert to a homosexual orientation later in life. While it teaches people to repress their sexual orientation, it does not change it. This has led some evangelicals, who otherwise believe homosexuality is sinful, to denounce conversion therapy and instead demand lifelong celibacy for same-sex attracted individuals.

Whether or not you believe homosexuality is sinful, do you think ex-gay conversion therapy works? Why or why not?
voted no

but I do have a question

a trans (born male) who is attracted to men...is gay...yes????............so if he becomes a she....and is still attracted to males.....is 'she' no longer gay?????.....

Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:

I don't know and don't care. Question is, why do you?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
I do not believe people are born gay. It must be a psychological disorder or life experiences that make one turn to this sinful and unnatural way of life. I am a bible believing Christian and I believe what the Bible says about it....it is a sinful way of life. I support any effort to correct people lost in this sinful and dangerous lifestyle and that includes conversion therapy. I realize this opinion is not popular in this millenial driven PC era but while social values may change biblical truth does not.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do not believe people are born gay. It must be a psychological disorder or life experiences that make one turn to this sinful and unnatural way of life. I am a bible believing Christian and I believe what the Bible says about it....it is a sinful way of life.

I support any effort to correct people lost in this sinful and dangerous lifestyle and that includes conversion therapy. I realize this opinion is not popular in this millenial driven PC era but while social values may change biblical truth does not.
So why did God make some people gay and some heterosexual. That's if you believe God made us all. What's your theory on that.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:41 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Voted NO.

You can't change what sex you're attracted to but you can choose what activities you engage in.

Simply abstaining from gay sex does not make one straight.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
I do not believe people are born gay. It must be a psychological disorder or life experiences that make one turn to this sinful and unnatural way of life. I am a bible believing Christian and I believe what the Bible says about it....it is a sinful way of life. I support any effort to correct people lost in this sinful and dangerous lifestyle and that includes conversion therapy. I realize this opinion is not popular in this millenial driven PC era but while social values may change biblical truth does not.
Reading opinions like this piece of garbage make me grateful I don't live below the Mason Dixon line. Seriously some of you proudly proclaim your ignorance and backwardness like it's a good thing SMH. What an asinine opinion.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Then you must believe in the possibility that sexual orientation is innate and unalterable?
I do believe that strong tendencies exist but unalterable, no.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
I agree...well said.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't see how anyone could vote yes without believing their own sexual orientation could be altered by outside forces.
Good point, people who voted yes pretty much admitted that they can become gay with some type of therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies