Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 AM

2,828 posts, read 821,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Unfortunately we don't see what led up to this. If the friend was the one looking at various guns, asking about them, conferring about the price and then the guy who was refused went to buy it, well that does happen to be one of the markers for a straw purchase.

I've been in more than one gun store, both here in Maryland and also in Pennsylvania, where the above happened and the store refused the sale.

As a note, the customers were all Whites.
Sorry, you must be wrong, they only refuse black guys.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How can you tell if a person is a risk to public safety just by looking at them?
Have you never met someone and within a second knew that you and that person could never be friends? Never looked across a room and knew that a person on the other side was an azzhole? Be honest...
We all make those judgment calls.
In this case I don't know both sides of the story. I have seen the customer's side. I am not condemning the customer. For all I know he is a stand up guy and a great person. What I am saying is I need to hear what the gunshot owner says for himself, not what others say or the offended party says.
I will say it again. With the amount of senseless shootings happening today, if I were a gunshot owner, I would be very selective with my gun sales.
For example: About 2 years ago I was at my buddy's shop. A guy walks in smelling of last nights booze and looking more than a little scroungy. My friend refused him a sale. It was a gut check. The guy was talking trash about Obama and minorities in general. What he didn't know is that both my friend and I are both in mixed marriages. I don't care if that guy is a Pastor in a church, I will never sell him a gun and my friend won't either.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
It doesn't matter if you think it is wrong or not, he has that right just like a bartender can refuse to serve you a drink if he thinks you are drunk, even though you aren't. We do not know what the whole conversation consisted of since the video is only started part way through.
It is easier to tell if someone is drunk than if someone is a threat to public safety. There are obvious signs of drunkenness. I should know because I used to work at a restaurant and I've been around drunk people. I've also been drunk.

Public safety on the other hand, we have a more full-proof way of checking that. It's alot better than just looking at a person. It's called background checked. We have mental health checks. The person said "I don't know if you'll sell it to a thug". We have ways of assessing that danger. It's called background checks.

It matters to me because I care about right and wrong.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:35 AM

16,183 posts, read 10,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Unfortunately we don't see what led up to this. If the friend was the one looking at various guns, asking about them, conferring about the price and then the guy who was refused went to buy it, well that does happen to be one of the markers for a straw purchase.

I've been in more than one gun store, both here in Maryland and also in Pennsylvania, where the above happened and the store refused the sale.

As a note, the customers were all Whites.
But we know exactly what happened by the shop owners answer on the clip. He very clearly said he didn't need a reason. He never said his behavior or the behavior of the friend was the reason. No he very clearly said he wasn't going to sell to him and he did not give a reason. Therefore we know the reason.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,903,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The employee was clearly not comfortable about this. He confirmed the black guy bought "quite a few" other guns there. By every definition he is a regular customer.

Do now you are speculating that this guy may be buying for gang members? And you wonder why people see racism in this thread? That's totally unfair. Gun owners constantly scream "thou shall not infringe on our rights" as they justify the ownership of 10 AK's. But this guy is not allowed to buy multiple guns based on nothing but his skin color and that's OK. What about he infringement of his rights to own multiple guns?

Nope from every angle the store owner was a racist and those defending him are wrong IMO.
Part & parcel of the vigilantism of American culture.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:37 AM

16,183 posts, read 10,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
It doesn't matter if you think it is wrong or not, he has that right just like a bartender can refuse to serve you a drink if he thinks you are drunk, even though you aren't. We do not know what the whole conversation consisted of since the video is only started part way through.
If a black guy walks into a bar and shows no sign of being intoxicated and he was refused service that is illegal. That crap went out in the 60's but apparently racism and the justification of racism is alive and well in gun shops. Shocker.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,331,074 times
Pretty clear cut to me:

Dealer's Choice: Gun Store Owners Can Deny Anyone They Want

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...yone-they-want

Old 11-11-2017, 09:23 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,057,905 times
If the gun shop owner could prove that it was an attempted straw purchase, half the posters would still yell "racism".

Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If a black guy walks into a bar and shows no sign of being intoxicated and he was refused service that is illegal. That crap went out in the 60's but apparently racism and the justification of racism is alive and well in gun shops. Shocker.
I thought you were for less guns.

What was the guy supposed to say, he looked shady, they were whispering in the isle and looking nervous. Guy came back with a different guy this time. Exactly how would you word that when asked.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 AM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If the gun shop owner could prove that it was an attempted straw purchase, half the posters would still yell "racism".
This

But they don't think THAT angle is racist, of course. Guns are bad,,,, unless it's a black guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.