Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 03:23 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They could slap a tariff on money transfers to Mexico but I'm sure that'd end up in a CA loon court until it went before SCOTUS...
Mess with international money transfer and you mess with the one percent. That goes nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please educate yourself on this issue. Where the good walls are already in place it cut back on illegal immigration significantly. I have posted a couple of links numerous times proving it. How in the world is preventing them from getting here continuing as normal? I'd rather pay for a $25 billion wall than to continue with the rising costs of illegal immigration which is already $113 billion a year.

Congress already approved the wall back in 2006 it just wasn't funded so I guess they didn't think it was a boondoogle or they wouldn't have passed it in the first place.
We used to have sig alerts from the people bum rushing the border crossings. They figured out if they all ran across most of them would get through. Now that they have fixed that and extended our wall out to the desert II isn't a real issue in SD County compared to the flood we used to get.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I remember the first time I saw those freeway signs in San Diego. Instead of an outline of a deer ("Deer Crossing") it was a man, woman and child running. I thought it was funny until I actually saw illegals running.

Looking forward to seeing videos of these prototypes being tested.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I remember the first time I saw those freeway signs in San Diego. Instead of an outline of a deer ("Deer Crossing") it was a man, woman and child running. I thought it was funny until I actually saw illegals running.

Looking forward to seeing videos of these prototypes being tested.
The signs are still up. For good reason.

I look forward to the time they can be taken down. When no men, women, or children are available to flee across freeways.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The signs are still up. For good reason.

I look forward to the time they can be taken down. When no men, women, or children are available to flee across freeways.
Take away incentives for them to come here and they will stop coming. Agree that any employer caught employing undocumented workers goes to jail. Period. You will see how fast the border crossings stop.

But the business owners will lose their cheap labor. Can you live with that?

If so, then tell your reps not to waste money on a wall when the solution is actually much cheaper and more effective.

If not, then you're part of the problem.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
The thing is companies hire illegals so they can pay people less and circumvent the laws of labor supply and demand. If they can't get regular legal Americans to do the job then the laws of supply and demand state that it means the job should be paying more.

I don't understand why the Democrats keep avoiding that point. I've never seen anyone explain that. Ever.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Simple solutions and not only are they cheaper they save us Billions:

1) E-Verify, don't use it get fined first time, go to jail the second.
2) Cut off all social programs, no schooling, no welfare, no food stamps, no medical aid other than emergencies that are life threatening.
3) Automatic deportation for those caught for any reason, second offense is six months in jail, a third is 5 years.
4) Far better surveillance of the border and many more agents and equipment to do the job.
5) Make Green Cards something that is pre screened and good for 5 or 10 years so long as no felonies are committed.
6) DACA stays and they are given 5 years to apply for US citizenship or they have to leave.
7) Honorable Service in our Armed Forces gets an automatic US Citizenship after completion of their First Enlistment.

Thoughts?
No problems with the list except to add a #8, no more anchor babies.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The thing is companies hire illegals so they can pay people less and circumvent the laws of labor supply and demand. If they can't get regular legal Americans to do the job then the laws of supply and demand state that it means the job should be paying more.

I don't understand why the Democrats keep avoiding that point. I've never seen anyone explain that. Ever.
You won't because that wouldn't add to their voter rolls that they're so desperate to grow. Same with Churches, it doesn't put more new people in pews or add to their weekly donation plates...

Old 10-29-2017, 03:52 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No problems with the list except to add a #8, no more anchor babies.

I agree on the anchor babies but disagree with the following....

6) DACA stays and they are given 5 years to apply for US citizenship or they have to leave.
7) Honorable Service in our Armed Forces gets an automatic US Citizenship after completion of their First Enlistment.

No, the DACAs must leave and return to their homelands. That's where the legal process begins not on our soil. Applying for citizenship only begins after the legal process has been completed and they are admitted back into our country. If I remember right there is still a waiting period for that also.

Again, only legal immigrants can serve in military and the DACAs must first return to their homelands and apply to come back legally as legal immigrants do. No jumping ahead of the line. Applying for citizenship only begins after the legal process has been completed and they are admitted back into our country.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Only legal immigrants can serve, eh? Would you have said the same during World War II? It wasn't an issue with the government then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies