Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 12:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Ahhh I’ve been living in Germany for 17 years now and it’s nothing like that.
Might be just his experience with a specific family. Cause some folks everywhere are like that. I've had much more pleasent interactions with folks while in Germany.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah, but I have to say I for one thought it a truly great post that was interesting to read.
Agreed

Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
She knowingly broke the law and should serve time.
And the people helping the Jews hide from the Nazis knowingly broke the law, but that doesn't mean they deserved punishment. The law can be wrong (and often is).

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Looks like Germany is still fascist. How ironic.
I don't exactly agree with it but it is easy to understand why they do this.

This is in reaction to right wingnut fanatic 'fake news', people perpetrating a benevolent myth about the Nazi regime. The regime's crimes and the subsequent wars were devastating for the country. Also, Hitler was quite willing to scorch the entire country (an ultimate betrayal from the leader) out of principle when they started to lose badly, and the nation suffered greatly in every district.

What happened there, and the hideous crimes committed in their name, was so horrific and seemingly incredible that it was expected later generations would have a hard time believing it, so everything was documented very well by the occupying powers. Even so, that is exactly what we see has happened, people deny that it happened.

Germany isn't America, we as a people collectively have never experienced what they went through. Germany won't risk it again. That might not be an American solution, but locking up one crackpot in a modern German prison is not like sending them to Dachau.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Just got here. Been reading.

"Keynes sometimes explained the mass murder that took place during the first years of communist Russia on a racial basis, as part of the "Russian and Jewish nature", rather than as a result of the communist rule. After a trip to Russia, he wrote in his Short View of Russia that there is "beastliness on the Russian and Jewish natures when, as now, they are allied together". He also wrote that "out of the cruelty and stupidity of the Old Russia nothing could ever emerge, but (...) beneath the cruelty and stupidity of the New Russia a speck of the ideal may lie hid", which together with other comments may be construed as anti-Russian and antisemitic.

"Some critics, including Murray Rothbard, have sought to show that Keynes had sympathy with Nazism, and a number of writers described him as antisemitic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...#Views_on_race

Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,728 times
It might be off-topic but I spotted this video posted in 2010 about Abe Foxman the head of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) at that time (is it still at the head of the ADL?), meet with Yushchenkos advisors and warns them not to compare the two genocides the Holodomor and the Holocaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1rL_kbO_w

However, I saw something where we should be more careful and having some attention to some websites refer as "Holocaust Fatigue".
Too Much Memory? Holocaust Fatigue in the Era of the Victim - Oxford Scholarship
How the Holocaust Became a Weapon Against Jews - The Tower
https://website.education.wisc.edu/s..._Ed_Proofs.pdf
Have we hit Holocaust fatigue? — Jewish Journal

Old 11-10-2017, 08:56 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
The Holocaust is not an "opinion", it's an historical FACT.
"The Holocaust" is not "an historical FACT". It's an historical event.

"The Holocaust" is a name given to an aggregation of countless facts (and falsehoods), and nobody anywhere can ever know what all the actual facts are. Everyone's belief about what the Holocaust is is an opinion.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pshaw. Yeah, right - the Nazis would have handed out a six-month sentence in a very comfortable prison.
true good call

Quote:
OK, history lesson: The German constitution is a rush job, slapped together when France, the UK and the US didn't want to run things in their occupation zones any more. It was supposed to be temporary measure, until all of Germany could be ready for self-rule and a real, proper constitution could be written. As some may remember that didn't happen, because the Soviets were perfectly happy to keep running their bit of Germany. It wasn't even called a constitution - the word used was "Grundgesetz", "foundational law" if you will. And Germans aren't sloppy with language. (For those keeping score at home, German for constitution would be "Verfassung".)

Now, while you guys might feel that free speech in all political matters should be a given, I can guarantee you that your grandfather's generation was very much concerned about Nazism popping back up again in Germany - we're talking 1949. Books were already being published about how the Germans could have won the war, but were - betrayed. (The Dolchstosslegende after 1918 was what fed Nazism in the first place.)

So the Germans made a ton of concessions to convince the western allies and the world that they were ready to run things on their own, and one of them was to stomp out Nazism.

Of course, when reunification did in fact happen, things had to move fast, decades had one by, and the existing West German constitution, warts and all, was adapted for all of Germany, because it was the only practical option.

Now, some have argued that the Nazi prohibition should be lifted on principal grounds, but as it happens, the only people who stand to benefit are actual Nazis, and most German politicians feel there are more deserving subcultures to fight for.
The people benefit from free speech. The tyrants benefit from censorship.

Quote:
Apart form the principles in play, Holocaust deniers are scum. Particularly 88-year old German Holocaust deniers. She picked that battle, the outcome was a given, and I seem to be unable to care a whit.
So you'd be comfortable with blacks being arrested back in the day for violating Jim Crow? Because the law is the law, right?

So free speech doesn't matter when you disagree with the speaker.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Others have already addressed this inane comment.
No they haven't. That's just something you made up because you don't have anything intelligent to say.

Quote:
You're history on this forum indicates that you're a far-rightist. Were you in Charlottesville?
That's just something you made up because you don't have anything intelligent to say.
Your post proves you do not care about the truth and you don't have the knowledge to get involved in the discussion. Gee I guess the nazis didn't squelch free speech.

Think before you post next time. Your posts wont come across as uneducated.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm fully aware that the squelched free speech.
Yet you don't defend it based on the speaker.

Quote:
My point was very simple.
Your point was dishonest.

Quote:
You said Germany's current treatment of her is EXACTLY THE SAME as what the Nazis did. It isn't. No gotcha, no games. Fact.
I said denying free speech was the same thing the nazis did. not that you care about the truth. Fact.
Keep trying and playing your childish games and I'll continue to point out how your posts are foolish and dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies