Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,013 times

Advertisements

When are the people going to wake up and complain about all the junk that imported from China, sure it's cheap, but it's trash. The clothes fall apart after you wash them several times. Anything made of metals or plastic falls apart quickly. I would rather pay more for an item made in America then buy their JUNK!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Like most things, quality varies. I have three Outfitters sweatshirts I bought three years ago, probably have about 30 washings each, and they are as solid as the day I bought them. According to the label, they were made in China. Same for the Crabel Sportware Cleveland Indians short sleeve shirts I wear frequently throughout the summer. Over 50 washings and they are in outstanding shape.

Sure some junk comes out of there but manufacturing quality varies widely, just like it does from everywhere else. It depends how the manufacturer specs the quality of their products.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,293 times
Back in the 80's I bought a Henckle kitchen knife for about 60 bucks. I accidentally dropped it on the wooden kitchen floor and it broke in half. I also bought a 83 MBZ 380SL. It's timing chain which was little more than a bicycle chain fell off and caused 5k in damage. MBZ would not cover it.

Everything is junk. I would rather pay less for it and throw it away than pay a lot for it and have to repair it.

But just because China makes it and it is sold cheap does not make it bad.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I have a Henkle's kitchen knife over 30 years old. It is still as good as new. I would rather buy a well-designed and manufactured device that lasts nearly forever (a car made of stainless steel is a dream of mine) that costs more but will last nearly forever with decent maintenance and easy replacement of wearable parts.

Buy it once and keep it forever. Cheap consumer products that are instantly disposable are far more expensive in the long run. Buy the latest junk to keep up with Joneses is about as stupid as you can get. Why GAF about the Joneses anyway?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have a Henkle's kitchen knife over 30 years old. It is still as good as new. I would rather buy a well-designed and manufactured device that lasts nearly forever (a car made of stainless steel is a dream of mine) that costs more but will last nearly forever with decent maintenance and easy replacement of wearable parts.

Buy it once and keep it forever. Cheap consumer products that are instantly disposable are far more expensive in the long run. Buy the latest junk to keep up with Joneses is about as stupid as you can get. Why GAF about the Joneses anyway?
GregW

It is all junk no matter who makes it, wherever it is from or how much you pay for it.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 03-19-2008 at 06:28 AM..

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Needless to say I disagree. There are some consumer products that are very well made and last a long time. I have a few.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Needless to say I disagree. There are some consumer products that are very well made and last a long time. I have a few.
I agree. In the past two weeks, I have purchased some Stanley Tools, New Balance shoes and some no-name chrome switchplates. All made in the USA and all excellent quality.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,718 times
China took capitalism 101 and designed their own capitalism 102: the rise of american consumerism

oh come on which company would want to make a product that lasts 30 years!! certainly NOT the sharholders!!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I try not to buy the China junk, but can be difficult. So basically stay out of the stores that peddle them, i.e. Walmart, Target, Dollar Stores, etc. However, even the finer department stores have the junk merchandise, and with high dollar amounts attached! Also labels with Made in Cambodia, Bangladesh, etc. So a no win situation, really, and very disturbing. There are sites with Made in America only companies, which is helpful. Just bought some dinnerware Made in America, as there is no assurance the china made dinner/kitchenware not laced with lead, or other harmful components.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I try not to buy the China junk, but can be difficult. So basically stay out of the stores that peddle them, i.e. Walmart, Target, Dollar Stores, etc. However, even the finer department stores have the junk merchandise, and with high dollar amounts attached! Also labels with Made in Cambodia, Bangladesh, etc. So a no win situation, really, and very disturbing. There are sites with Made in America only companies, which is helpful. Just bought some dinnerware Made in America, as there is no assurance the china made dinner/kitchenware not laced with lead, or other harmful components.
I agree. After this past winter's dog food and baby toy scares I woke up. Such a complex problem--every aspect of life has become complicated.

I know we are headed for terrible trouble.

Personally, I would boycott China for numerous reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies