Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Terrible place to keep a weapon. Never ever leave a pistol in a purse! Someone snatches it you are screwed, big time.

Why do women carry in purses? Ya'll have more options available for carrying than a purse...
Well, if I have time to plan, it doesn't go in the purse. There are times I don't have a choice if I want to take it. I don't always have the option of knowing ahead of time where I am going. Also, it isn't that I carry it that way all the time, or even the majority of the time. The poster asked, "why a .22?", and that is one of the reasons. It fits nicely into places that larger guns couldn't, and fits well in my hands.

That being said, how I carry is not what the thread is about. I was just making a point to one specific poster who thinks all liberals are gun hating, gun banning nuts. That point? We aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 03:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Unfortunately the movies are fiction, I agree, shot placement is important, but don't tell me a .22 has more stopping power than a larger caliber weapon. The bad guy may be high or just full up on adrenaline, they might not even feel the shot, and if it doesn't drop them, they are going to continue their attack. As most experienced gun owners will tell you, especially as it relates to this thread, the real world isn't the range, if you can get 40- 50% of your accuracy and technique in a real street situation, you're good, that's about the best cops get and they train all the time. So maybe you can shoot a 2" group in the best of conditions, when you have to draw and fire within seconds while under attack, ............................... So the next time you go to the range, holster your .22, start a timer, pull it and fire in 3-5 seconds, put one right between the eyes or right in the middle of the chest, if you didn't do that, you are in trouble. Now, do the same with a 9mm, get within about a 6" circle around the chest, it's much more likely going to stop the perp.
the line wasnt about the efficiency of a particular caliber weapon, but rather what tends to make people nervous. and that my friend is an accurate observation.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, if I have time to plan, it doesn't go in the purse. There are times I don't have a choice if I want to take it. I don't always have the option of knowing ahead of time where I am going. Also, it isn't that I carry it that way all the time, or even the majority of the time. The poster asked, "why a .22?", and that is one of the reasons. It fits nicely into places that larger guns couldn't, and fits well in my hands.

That being said, how I carry is not what the thread is about. I was just making a point to one specific poster who thinks all liberals are gun hating, gun banning nuts. That point? We aren't.
wants to see modern sporting rifles disappear on the basis of "common sense" yet leaves a weapon in purse...

So much for common sense...

Wear dresses? Get a garter holster from CanCan concealment.
There's also sticky holsters for waistbands.
There's also shirts that have a holster built into them... I forget the name of the company...
My sister keeps her pistols in the garter holster and sticky holster in waistband.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:

Which is why I have stopped using the term "liberals" in reference to gun banner nuts. These types do tend to run leftist, but liberal is not an accurate description. Any more than conservative means someone is a Bible thumping fundy.

As to a 22...if someone handles it well, can hit what needs hitting and it just flat works then it's a good choice. When I was looking for a handgun for my lady the only one I found that worked for her was a 22. However she didn't want to carry. Just something for home and we discovered she was a natural with a short barreled shotgun from the hip. My Mossberg 930. Loaded with 23/4 #4 buckshot I would have pitied any goblin who crossed her.

At the 10 yard line she could shred 4 silhouettes to confetti. Whatever works is the right gun.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Which is why I have stopped using the term "liberals" in reference to gun banner nuts. These types do tend to run leftist, but liberal is not an accurate description. Any more than conservative means someone is a Bible thumping fundy.

As to a 22...if someone handles it well, can hit what needs hitting and it just flat works then it's a good choice. When I was looking for a handgun for my lady the only one I found that worked for her was a 22. However she didn't want to carry. Just something for home and we discovered she was a natural with a short barreled shotgun from the hip. My Mossberg 930. Loaded with 23/4 #4 buckshot I would have pitied any goblin who crossed her.

At the 10 yard line she could shred 4 silhouettes to confetti. Whatever works is the right gun.
My wife will clean the bullseye out of a target at 7 meters with her 9mm

Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the line wasnt about the efficiency of a particular caliber weapon, but rather what tends to make people nervous. and that my friend is an accurate observation.
If that's the case, why not carry a tough looking bb gun? I'm not taking my chances that the "big bad gun" is going to scare them off, if it works I'm more than happy to let them high tail it. But, if they want to engage, I want every advantage I can get, and caliber will buy me some extra advantage.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My wife will clean the bullseye out of a target at 7 meters with her 9mm

Yep. Seems the pistol works for her. That is the key. A 22 that hits the mark beats any number of 44 mags that don't. The object of shooting is hitting and in defensive use this goes double. I still have to think really hard about how much hair I lost trying to find a gun with light recoil for my lady and discovering her aptitude with a gun that has the reputation as THE epitome of intimidation.

The cardboard silhouettes I put up for her no longer existed after she spent her 5 rounds. And then she wanted to do it again. I even slipped in some Win SXT buck n ball and some Federal 3" mag # 4. She didn't even notice.

She even started wanting to go to the rage to shoot "her" gun.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
wants to see modern sporting rifles disappear on the basis of "common sense" yet leaves a weapon in purse...

So much for common sense...

Wear dresses? Get a garter holster from CanCan concealment.
There's also sticky holsters for waistbands.
There's also shirts that have a holster built into them... I forget the name of the company...
My sister keeps her pistols in the garter holster and sticky holster in waistband.
Who said anything about wanting "to see modern sporting rifles disappear" ???? Certainly wasn't me. Especially considering almost every member of both my, and my husbands family own them. Sure you aren't thinking of someone else?

Also, as I explained above, I don't carry it that way the majority of the time. Or even a large minority of the time. It is only at certain times, in certain situations. TBH, I can't even remember the last time I did so. (and BTW, I have holsters that I can use in different situations, based off of what I am wearing) I was responding to a certain question, and responded with one of the myriad of reasons why I chose this specific weapon, (which was several years ago, and believe it or not, people change over the course of years, as do their reasoning for getting the weapon and how they carry it), and tried to inject a little bit of humor, which obviously went over your heads as well. So get your panties out of the wad they seem to be in, and direct your vitriol to someone else.

Note: This is why we can't have nice things America.... I am a liberal who DOESN'T want to take your guns, yet I am still put into that category (even after saying multiple times I don't support that, and even being called a liar when explaining my husband and I are gun owners ourselves), and dragged through the mud by "conservatives" who don't like my weapon of choice or why I chose it, in a thread where that is not even relevant.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Agreed with all of the above. Some people can't help but to lump large groups together. Liberals and conservatives are not homogenous groups like some would have you believe.

I chose my gun for a myriad of reasons, one of which, at the time, was whether or not it would fit in my purse. I don't care about that now, and it was probably stupid then too, but I was also only about 21 years old (making this almost 10 years ago now), and didn't know much about how to carry or what guns were better, etc. I could easily get a larger caliber if I wanted, but I have grown to like my little .22, and I am good with it, so there is no point.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Agreed with all of the above. Some people can't help but to lump large groups together. Liberals and conservatives are not homogenous groups like some would have you believe.

I chose my gun for a myriad of reasons, one of which, at the time, was whether or not it would fit in my purse. I don't care about that now, and it was probably stupid then too, but I was also only about 21 years old (making this almost 10 years ago now), and didn't know much about how to carry or what guns were better, etc. I could easily get a larger caliber if I wanted, but I have grown to like my little .22, and I am good with it, so there is no point.

What have seen is that the greatest majority of people anymore are better described as independents. No specific spectrum describes us. We lean left and right depending on the issue. Because of my position on gun rights and a couple others have had posters here label me a raving Trumpist.

That door swings both ways, and it's really annoying. As to your 22, if you're good with it it's a good choice. Lke I went on to say on that subject a hit in the right spot with a 22 beats a hundred misses by a 45. The humble 22 is vastly underestimated. At the peril of many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies