Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

If this is what this country has come to, I would recommend parents try to move to another country with their kids.

The gun people are taking over. As a former first grade teacher, I would never, ever have wanted a gun in my purse or desk. This is the height of stupidity. We allow idiots to go walking around with guns and then we have to live as if we're at war because of them. My degree was in education and I taught kids to read and write. No way do I want to learn how to shoot a gun. Some of these people don't seem to have ever set foot in a school if they think arming the teachers is the solution.

Just stop the guns in the first place! Problem solved.

(If people can pass the tests, they can have rifles for hunting just as in any other first world country.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I think its time to treat schools like airports and federal buildings. Times have changed; people are getting mentally crazier everyday. This is the world we live in today.

I'm all for ballistic backpacks, too. I know it will be 5 times more effective than any gun law.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
What about the societies of the United Kingdom and France prevent them from mass shootings daily that we can't seem to replicate? Their gun homicides are 30 times lower than ours.

Your argument is guns aren't the problem, society is. So what's different about our society that's not found in any other 1st world country?
Just about everything, actually - especially when it comes to self-defense. Carrying pepper spray can get you a prison sentence in the UK, for instance. Has been that way since the Firearms Act of 1968. Section 5(1)(b).

Also different are the criminal codes, the penal system, the judiciary system, etc. It's very easy to point to the disparity in firearms ownership and say "That's it! That's the magic button that stops violence!" However, it is also very naive. The truth is, there are a host of differences between European countries and the United States that account for lower rates of violence. If you aren't willing to look at those other differences before picking your personal favorite, you are basing your reaction on emotion rather than logic.

We could probably have a homicide rate that was fairly close to the United Kingdom if we started issuing mandatory life sentences for murderers, like they do, rather than sending our murderers to a university for criminals for a few years and then sending them back out on the streets with no hope of having a productive life due to their conviction. A certain segment of our society, however, has a hug-a-thug mentality that has probably contributed more to our murder rates than every firearm ever purchased.

Someone made a statement in another of our ubiquitous gun threads to the effect that the founding fathers would be embarrassed if they saw the rate at which Americans shot each other. Personally, I think our founding fathers would be far more embarrassed that the country which they fought so hard to create was now populated with a bunch of people who are so weak-willed that instead of continuing the tradition of uniqueness and ingenuity that made us great, they are more than willing to emulate the very society that the founding fathers were trying to get away from.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Just about everything, actually - especially when it comes to self-defense. Carrying pepper spray can get you a prison sentence in the UK, for instance. Has been that way since the Firearms Act of 1968. Section 5(1)(b).

Also different are the criminal codes, the penal system, the judiciary system, etc. It's very easy to point to the disparity in firearms ownership and say "That's it! That's the magic button that stops violence!" However, it is also very naive. The truth is, there are a host of differences between European countries and the United States that account for lower rates of violence. If you aren't willing to look at those other differences before picking your personal favorite, you are basing your reaction on emotion rather than logic.

We could probably have a homicide rate that was fairly close to the United Kingdom if we started issuing mandatory life sentences for murderers, like they do, rather than sending our murderers to a university for criminals for a few years and then sending them back out on the streets with no hope of having a productive life due to their conviction. A certain segment of our society, however, has a hug-a-thug mentality that has probably contributed more to our murder rates than every firearm ever purchased.

Someone made a statement in another of our ubiquitous gun threads to the effect that the founding fathers would be embarrassed if they saw the rate at which Americans shot each other. Personally, I think our founding fathers would be far more embarrassed that the country which they fought so hard to create was now populated with a bunch of people who are so weak-willed that instead of continuing the tradition of uniqueness and ingenuity that made us great, they are more than willing to emulate the very society that the founding fathers were trying to get away from.
Why the US locks up prisoners for life - BBC News

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...United_Kingdom

Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Let's just cut to the chase and skip over the half measures. Guns aren't going anywhere and neither are the unhinged people who use them to slaughter others.

So...let's talk solutions. But don't bother with mental healthcare because that would require some type of societal safety net and you know how half the country feels about that sort of thing - "not my problem", "not with my money" blah, blah.

1) Retrofit all the abandoned prisons country-wide and reopen them as schools, but maintain all prison functionality - guard towers, CCTV, shatterproof glass, remote locked doors and wards, barbed wire, multiple checkpoints before entering, pat downs of visitors, parents and personnel. The doors between wards only open between periods and everything gets shut down during class. Guard towers are outfitted with whatever gun makes gun-lovers giddy, you can discuss amongst yourselves the specs and utility of each for this stated purpose.

2) Once the abandoned prisons have been filled, empty out the existing ones and relocate the prisoners to FEMA like camps and open fields surrounded by electrified wire and weaponized sound waves. Not sure why prisoners are given shelter anyway. They can live in this fields like a horror movie version of Lord of the Files. Then relocate all remaining students to the recently emptied prisons.

Eh, viola!

Next Installment - Churches. You're going to love my idea for those.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 PM

I'm guessing that you have a point. However, my telepathic abilities never developed. Care to elaborate on that one word you typed?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

The UK has the right idea. Some people do own guns there but it's hard to qualify to own one--and that's the way it should be in any civilized society. We are not living in the 1700s anymore. We are a country with a strong military, so Paul Revere wouldn't have to go riding through every village and town calling, "To arms! To arms!" No one needs to own a gun because we have adequate military defense and we have police officers. In the UK someone MIGHT have a gun for hunting or target shooting but mostly they have better things to do than obsess with guns.

I do agree with the US system of life in prison for murder. Once someone snaps and actually kills another person, I think (not that I have proof) but I THINK it wouldn't be that hard for them to snap again. No letting them out to kill anyone else. Ever.

I agree that the founding fathers would be appalled if they saw us shooting and killing each other. That's not what they were talking about when they said we have gun rights. They never thought we would have such a great military and police forces--who would have known back then?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The UK has the right idea. Some people do own guns there but it's hard to qualify to own one--and that's the way it should be in any civilized society. We are not living in the 1700s anymore. We are a country with a strong military, so Paul Revere wouldn't have to go riding through every village and town calling, "To arms! To arms!" No one needs to own a gun because we have adequate military defense and we have police officers. In the UK someone MIGHT have a gun for hunting or target shooting but mostly they have better things to do than obsess with guns.

I do agree with the US system of life in prison for murder. Once someone snaps and actually kills another person, I think (not that I have proof) but I THINK it wouldn't be that hard for them to snap again. No letting them out to kill anyone else. Ever.

I agree that the founding fathers would be appalled if they saw us shooting and killing each other. That's not what they were talking about when they said we have gun rights. They never thought we would have such a great military and police forces--who would have known back then?
Considering that they specifically and purposefully designed the government in such a way that neither should have ever existed, I'm sure you're right.

I suggest a reading of the founding fathers' actual writings, as well as some unbiased history texts, in order to deepen your understanding of why they wrote the Bill of Rights and the Constitution as they did. From your statement, it is apparent that you've had little experience with either.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
So the solution to people showing up with guns and killing children at school is to give the kids bullet proof backpacks. Not limit the amount of guns floating around but to give kids bullet proof backpacks...... .ok.........Its official Americans are the stupidest people on earth. I tried denying it for so long since I absolutely love this country but we win gold in stupidity.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
So the solution to people showing up with guns and killing children at school is to give the kids bullet proof backpacks. Not limit the amount of guns floating around but to give kids bullet proof backpacks...... .ok.........Its official Americans are the stupidest people on earth. I tried denying it for so long since I absolutely love this country but we win gold in stupidity.
Who called this "the solution?" It's brilliant capitalism, but I doubt even the makers consider it "the solution". There isn't any "the solution" in the first place. And if there were, Americans probably wouldn't agree on it. That's why gun threads are so common, after all, because we don't agree on "the solution."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies