Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
NYT: Can my children be friends with white people?

We all have our opinions.

Personally, I am not perfect but I find that the Golden Rule works best.

Blacks, Latinos, Whites, Jews, Muslims, Asians, Crazed Liberals, Mormons, etc. My kid hangs with them all. Anyone who is cool is welcome in Chez Moth.
I agree with the above.

I have many white friends as do my kids and many other types of friends.

I'll note though that a portion of the article that is toward the beginning really is a throw back lesson that black children were imparted upon by their elders. My grandparents and great grandparents told me to never trust white people in particular, that history shows them to be liars and morally bankrupt. I had lots of discussions on this subject with my grandparents and great grandmothers in particular in the late 1990s when I first got interested in genealogy and interviewed them for a family history. I spoke to them about how those ideas could be construed as racist and they admitted that they were but they were old and weren't changing their minds lol. They were satisfied with the fact that I don't really trust anyone - no matter how they look until I see proof that I can trust them. My maternal great grandmother said that was good, she wouldn't have to worry about me being naive.

So with my own children, I implore them to also not trust anyone to do/be a certain thing/way. Trust them to be themselves and observe those people to try your best to get to know them from a variety of angles before you put your trust in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I'm not so sure poverty has anything to do with it. I've seen more than my share of white trailer trash neighborhoods, where the worst of the worst are just meth heads. It's actually the middle to upper class white man that tends to become a deranged serial killer (go figure)

I do think the war on drugs and lots of the gangs related to that war is brought on into the black neighborhoods by the white leaders in power, but I also have to wonder if the choice of music among the black young males is also to blame. Most races listen to music that is about spirituality, tranquility, and the ups and downs of life, and the broken hearts along the way. But it's also clean music, unlike lots of the rap where it's nothing but swearing every other word, and trashing of the women, and the boasting of killing people. After almost 30 years of negative, violence inducing music being pumped into the ears of the black youth, it has to have some sort of affect on them. Like for instance, the "N" word. We know that word is an extremely insulting and sensitive subject matter for the black community. But when the blacks who are rapping, thinking that they are being cool by uttering the word as some self empowerment in nearly 90% of their music and movies that the black community produces, all I'm saying is, how can you expect the world to respect you when you can't even respect yourself, your community and your own people in a dignify and in a truly enrichment in life sort of way.

-Crime rates were higher in the black community before rap. There is no correlation there.
-Whites are the largest consumers of rap. And kids of all races, some adults of all races, listen to and purchase rap music...why do people act like the "spell" only works on blacks?
-Why do you believe rap has a stronger impact than violent movies or violent video games? You have video games getting more and more realistic. Movies have been violent for decades, but rap is the only one that people seem to think does anything and somehow it only works on one group. How?

Quote:
1. Adam Lanza, Sandy Hook Elementary, was a frequent player of violent first-person shooter video games. It was said his existence largely involved playing violent computer video games in a bedroom.
2. James Holmes, went on a rampage in a movie theater showing The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado in July 2012, He was a frequent player of violent video games including World of Warcraft, an infamously addictive role-playing game.
3 Jared Lee Loughner, Tucson, who shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killed six others in Tucson in January 2011, was both mentally ill and a video gamer.
4. Eric Harris, based on his journal, a panel of psychologists, psychiatrists and FBI agents point to Harris' contempt for others and his total lack of empathy and conscience as evidence of his psychopathic tendencies. He also enjoyed violent video games.
5. Elliot Rodger, killed seven young men and women, including himself. He was hooked on violent video games from a young age from his own admission, hiding himself in World of Warcraft, where he felt comfortable and secure.
6. Nehemiah Griego, killed five, including his mother, father and his three younger siblings. He loved playing violent video games and even enjoyed talking about them to crime investigators.
7. Jacob Tyler Roberts, played violent video games (his rampage enacted a violent scene in Grand Theft Auto)
8. Anders Behring Breivik shot 68 people dead at a youth camp of the Norwegian Labor party, another nine in a bombing of government buildings According to the judgment rendered against him, he liked playing violent games. He actually used the video game Call of Duty to train for his shooting massacre.
9. Michael Carneal shot girls as they prayed in a prayer group. Carneal never moved his feet during his shootings, and never fired far to the left or right, but instead fired only once at each target that appeared, just as a player of video games maximizes his game score by shooting only once at each victim, in order to hit as many targets as possible.
10. Jose Reyes, a 12-year-old boy who opened fire with a semiautomatic handgun at Sparks Middle School last October, killing a teacher and wounding two students before turning the gun on himself, had watched violent video games for months.
11. Dylann Storm Roof, spent much of his time playing violent video games.
12. Jeff Weise, a 16-year-old, shot dead nine people at and near his high school in Red Lake, Minnesota, had an obsession with violent animation.
13. Chris Harper-Mercer, shot dead nine people and another seven injured in a community college in southern Oregon.
14. Evan Ramsey, snuck a shot gun into his high school and shot a student and the principal and wounded two others. He claims that a video game, Doom, distorted his version of reality: "I did not understand that if I pull out a gun and shoot you ... you're not getting back up. You shoot a guy in Doom, and he gets back up. You have got to shoot the things in Doom eight or nine times before it dies."

No other race in America went through the same exact issues as blacks. What were seeing is the result of hundreds of years of slavery and oppression. It's a group of people that have been socially engineered, and now, the people who've been in charge of these people this whole time don't want to claim responsibility for their part. So no it's not rap. It's not any form of "black people did it to themselves".

Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above.

I'll note though that a portion of the article that is toward the beginning really is a throw back lesson that black children were imparted upon by their elders. My grandparents and great grandparents told me to never trust white people in particular, that history shows them to be liars and morally bankrupt. I had lots of discussions on this subject with my grandparents and great grandmothers in particular in the late 1990s when I first got interested in genealogy and interviewed them for a family history. I spoke to them about how those ideas could be construed as racist and they admitted that they were but they were old and weren't changing their minds lol. They were satisfied with the fact that I don't really trust anyone - no matter how they look until I see proof that I can trust them. My maternal great grandmother said that was good, she wouldn't have to worry about me being naive.

So with my own children, I implore them to also not trust anyone to do/be a certain thing/way. Trust them to be themselves and observe those people to try your best to get to know them from a variety of angles before you put your trust in them.
This is pretty reasoned and well-thought out.

You feelin' OK residinghere?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:25 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
-Crime rates were higher in the black community before rap. There is no correlation there.
-Whites are the largest consumers of rap. And kids of all races, some adults of all races, listen to and purchase rap music...why do people act like the "spell" only works on blacks?
-Why do you believe rap has a stronger impact than violent movies or violent video games? You have video games getting more and more realistic. Movies have been violent for decades, but rap is the only one that people seem to think does anything and somehow it only works on one group. How?

No other race in America went through the same exact issues as blacks. What were seeing is the result of hundreds of years of slavery and oppression. It's a group of people that have been socially engineered, and now, the people who've been in charge of these people this whole time don't want to claim responsibility for their part. So no it's not rap. It's not any form of "black people did it to themselves".
WRONG!!!!!!!

The Native Americans would like to have a word with you. This was their land originally before they were conquered and nearly wiped out, but you don't see them playing the victim card.

And I suggest you read up on some of your history with the black slaves, because the ones who were selling the slaves were black Africans. Perhaps you should read up on William Ellison. He was a former slave who bought his freedom, was given his business from his former master, actually bought his own slaves to work the plant, and supported the confederate side. But either way, the natives went through ten times the hardships, but you don't see them destroying eachother and their communities in some messed up revolt.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
WRONG!!!!!!!

The Native Americans would like to have a word with you. This was their land originally before they were conquered and nearly wiped out, but you don't see them playing the victim card.

And I suggest you read up on some of your history with the black slaves, because the ones who were selling the slaves were black Africans. Perhaps you should read up on William Ellison. He was a former slave who bought his freedom, was given his business from his former master, actually bought his own slaves to work the plant, and supported the confederate side. But either way, the natives went through ten times the hardships, but you don't see them destroying eachother and their communities in some messed up revolt.
Native Americans went through the exact same things as blacks? My goodness, strawman extreme. What exactly are you responding to?

Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above.

Generally wise counsel. Treat people equally and how they deserve to be treated, that's not a bad path to take in life.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 AM

1,378 posts, read 736,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbeater Bliss View Post
I don't think you can decide for other people what race they are.
Thanks you are right, she comes in and is "hispanic" when its convenient for her and then meanwhile goes back and posts in Illegal Immigration about how she hates "illegals". Yeah im not going to let a government entity or anyone else tell me what I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

Ok that list is dumb. I play violent video games as well as many that I work with, we have never shot at anyone.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
That's why you're not invited to the conversation.
it's a forum. you don't get to choose who participates, or issue invitations

Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Well, if you don't want this, tell white americans to quit doing racist things. Problem solved. FWIW, two americans told my co workers that they refused to speak to "foreigners". Take a guess what their race was...
Yes, yes, of course. The next time I get together with all white people at our secret meetings, that's exactly what I'll tell them. The truth is that white people have no more control over other white people than black people have over other black people. People of every race do stupid things and it's not their race that makes them do it; it's their own stupidity. Can we admit this? Some white people are stupid and some black people are stupid. There's no such thing as a proxy for an entire race, and the moment we say "oh, he's doing that because he's XYZ" then we're being racist.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Thanks you are right, she comes in and is "hispanic" when its convenient for her and then meanwhile goes back and posts in Illegal Immigration about how she hates "illegals". Yeah im not going to let a government entity or anyone else tell me what I am.

Ok that list is dumb. I play violent video games as well as many that I work with, we have never shot at anyone.
Millions of people listen to rap and never attack other people. But that didn't stop the other poster from saying rap had some kind of trance on black kids. So I posted a common link between many mass shooters just to prove a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies