Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The goal of TPP was to counter Chinese influence. I have yet to see one informed conservative argument against TPP.
How about this one?

Hillary Clinton comes out against TPP - CNNPolitics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j1DQdtqnD8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:34 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You say that sarcastically, but there is much truth.
Any agreement Obama entered into did not benefit the USA,
from TPP to the Iran agreement to the stupid Paris accords, etc.
Sweet, got any facts or any evidence to support these claims? Maybe other than Brietbart or what the guy at the diner said?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Because we need more Chinese products imported?
TPP had nothing to do with China - as I mentioned, people can't read.

"Many observers have argued that the trade deal would have served a geopolitical purpose, namely to reduce the signatories' dependence on Chinese trade and bring the signatories closer to the United States"

Backwards Bizarro World continues. The idea was for us to be "big" in all these other countries instead of China controlling the entire region.

Now that we are not in it, we will definitely get more stuff from China.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
TPP had nothing to do with China - as I mentioned, people can't read.

"Many observers have argued that the trade deal would have served a geopolitical purpose, namely to reduce the signatories' dependence on Chinese trade and bring the signatories closer to the United States"

Backwards Bizarro World continues. The idea was for us to be "big" in all these other countries instead of China controlling the entire region.

Now that we are not in it, we will definitely get more stuff from China.
Bingo. But somehow giving up more soft power and allowing China to exert more influence in the region at our expense will be better? Giving China more places to sell goods cheaply is somehow going to benefit US manufacturing? Still waiting for one of these miraculous bilateral deals so heavily tilted in our favor to emerge.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
It's funny how the opposition media immediately changes direction to make Trump look bad. They forgot that Bernie and Trump were against TPP during the campaign. Hillary wasn't but she licked her finger, held it up to see which way the wind was blowing and said #MeToo.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
So what? Hillary and Bernie were wrong on TPP, and Obama was wrong when he put tariffs on China. There are winners and losers from free trade, but the aggregate effects are beneficial. Just like the data says that lowering taxes on the wealthy does not create jobs, the numbers ran on TPP predicted wage increases. I guess that makes me a "corporate" Democrat, but I dislike partisan purity tests anyways.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
So what? Hillary and Bernie were wrong on TPP, and Obama was wrong when he put tariffs on China. There are winners and losers from free trade, but the aggregate effects are beneficial. Just like the data says that lowering taxes on the wealthy does not create jobs, the numbers ran on TPP predicted wage increases. I guess that makes me a "corporate" Democrat, but I dislike partisan purity tests anyways.
If a country is setting up rules for trade, that is NOT free trade.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It's funny how the opposition media immediately changes direction to make Trump look bad. They forgot that Bernie and Trump were against TPP during the campaign. Hillary wasn't but she licked her finger, held it up to see which way the wind was blowing and said #MeToo.
They were wrong. That's all there is to say and the Trump administration is also wrong for conducting a total pullout of a multi national trade agreement. Show me one bilateral agreement the Administration makes with any of these countries. These countries just signed a pact to trade goods freely between each other. In the corporate world it's called world synergy of resources and marketing. The United States is not involved. We can only make widgets and sell them to each other.

That's your America first policy.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If a country is setting up rules for trade, that is NOT free trade.
No country in the world has free trade agreement without rules for trade.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
No country in the world has free trade agreement without rules for trade.
So quit calling it free trade as it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies