U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,204,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
OK, if you want this ridiculous "right", go in a private shooting club or something, play dress up and put 17th century costumes and take the guns they had back then. If you do not want to update the so called "right", you cannot use updated guns. You cannot be rigid. It is ridiculous. We are a civilized society and guns have absolutely no place in houses anymore. We are not in 17th century.
I guess you could say I already belong to a private shooting club...

I can be rigid. I can be down right deplorable if pressed hard enough with feeble mantra of forfeiting essential liberty, for a false sense of security.

You're absolutely right we are civilized. I haven't committed any of these atrocities. False equivalencies much?

If we don't need guns in the home. Are you going to issue me a police officer? How about 1 for my 70 year old mother? My little sister, my girlfriend, and everyone I know that owns firearms for lawful defense?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 PM

11,383 posts, read 5,965,849 times
Quote:
OK, if you want this ridiculous "right", go in a private shooting club or something, play dress up and put 17th century costumes and take the guns they had back then. If you do not want to update the so called "right", you cannot use updated guns. You cannot be rigid. It is ridiculous. We are a civilized society and guns have absolutely no place in houses anymore. We are not in 17th century.
Honestly, that might be the case in YOUR house, but in no way, shape, or form do you speak for the experiences of 300M other Americans. Americans who live in neighborhoods with bears that roam around, neighborhoods with rampant crime, neighborhoods where police are over 30 minutes away in terms of response time. You are just being selfish.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,599,497 times
Quote:
My point is that something that was written in the 17th century should be revised and updated. Why should I care about a right that leads to dead kids? In fact this is a reason to protest against the government in order to protect ourselves, in a similar way that the second amendment was designed to protect the people back then from the government...
Itís amazing the disregard some have for The Constitution. Itís our founding document and is as important for our freedom and liberty as it was the day it was written. You start tossing out rights and things will get ugly real quick. I donít even own a gun nor does anyone in my family, but Iím not for scrapping the 2nd since itís not my right to remove the rights of those who choose differently. The way forward is reasonable gun control on the federal and state levels.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 PM

170 posts, read 174,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
OK, lets discuss how many kids have been bullied into suicide because of social media. Are you ready to have the conversation about restricting freedom of speech with social media which was unavailable in the 17th century?
I think that if someone feels bullied should report it and should be helped. I do not see why there is a need to restrict freedom of speech.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 PM

9,604 posts, read 4,601,933 times
Quote:
You made me realize one thing. I wasted a year of my life in combat fighting for the right of people like you to insult me because I have owned a semi auto rifle for 61 years. I guess the fact that I need one to hunt for food doesn't matter to people who have had everything handed to them their whole life. You would probably wet your pants if you saw someone kill an animal to eat. And police response time here is 20-45 minutes. I will protect my family.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM

2,523 posts, read 829,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
That's going to be a bad awful day...

I cringe thinking about that...
I don't. There's no way they'll get it to happen. I'm just tired of all the other nonsense. Let them have at it, fail, then go away. Then maybe we can start to get at the root of why these killers are so homicidal to begin with and what has changed so much in the last few decades.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,599,497 times
Quote:
This is laughable. If you’re against this, why are you exercising your 1st amendment rights on the internet? It didn’t exist when the 1st was written. Get off your computer right now and go find a street corner to orate on. That’s the freedom of speech available when the Constitution was written. That should be good enough for you.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM

11,383 posts, read 5,965,849 times
Quote:
I think that if someone feels bullied should report it and should be helped. I do not see why there is a need to restrict freedom of speech.
Well thats a pretty stark difference compared to what you just said.

You said you don't want "rights" that lead to dead kids. I can dredge up countless stories about kids who killed themselves because they were bullied on social media...or even bullied in person. You are being selective because you happen to be opposed to guns. Its the same hypocrisy we see on almost every issue in DC, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You made me realize one thing. I wasted a year of my life in combat fighting for the right of people like you to insult me because I have owned a semi auto rifle for 61 years. I guess the fact that I need one to hunt for food doesn't matter to people who have had everything handed to them their whole life. You would probably wet your pants if you saw someone kill an animal to eat. And police response time here is 20-45 minutes. I will protect my family.
I am sure that even if we did not have the second amendment, you would be able to have a gun if it is necessary for you. I am sure that the government would give you the right to have a gun, as in many other countries in the world. It would be a lie to say that I am fond of hunting, but I do not have any problem with that.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Itís amazing the disregard some have for The Constitution. Itís our founding document and is as important for our freedom and liberty as it was the day it was written. You start tossing out rights and things will get ugly real quick. I donít even own a gun nor does anyone in my family, but Iím not for scrapping the 2nd since itís not my right to remove the rights of those who choose differently. The way forward is reasonable gun control on the federal and state levels.
No, something is important only when it improves the quality of life. If not, it is not important and it is doomed to fail. This is how other empires were gone... Rigidity and arrogance. It is a Darwinian process. Life does not work like that. People will not tolerate anything just because it is a tradition or part of our history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or