U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 AM

36,596 posts, read 16,008,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carper675 View Post
Exactly and the truth is many of our founding fathers and ancestors didnt even like the various amendments to the constitution including George Washington. Most people still dont understand what the Bill of rights is , and what the Constitution is.

They just know they have tons of "rights" but no responsibilities
"They just know they have tons of "rights" but no responsibilities"

Which is shown everyday with the Lame Stream Media which complains when anyone ELSE complains about their outright biases.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 AM

15,697 posts, read 6,191,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Banning mass murderers' weapon of choice is reasonable. What is the opposite view? Give them to child killers? Train murderers how to kill the most people?
Guns don't make decisions for themselves and grabbing guns is impractical as well as unconstitutional. I agree that child killers should not get them. And I should not have had a bad cold a few weeks ago.

Still I want laws that ban weapons that are only of military value. That way, if someone is caught before committing a massacre, through social media or otherwise, merely having an arsenal is a crime. If the police or FBI had picked up on Nikolas Cruz, Devin Patrick Kelley or Stephen Paddock before the respective massacres, they would have been helpless other than to urge him to get help.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:02 AM

7,635 posts, read 2,227,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Sounds like some people in this forum have no problem with giving government the authority to decide who can own a gun and who can't. For whatever reason the govt feels like using. And to enforce it in whatever way they find necessary.

Have we already forgotten how strongly the Framers felt about that.... and why?

not me, I'm just being a realist, there is no way to stop these shooting without banning guns. These other suggestions on gun control are just feel good steps that don't prevent people from doing evil acts with firearms.

Many people propose "we need stricter gun laws" but they're not being honest, they know deep down you won't prevent gun violence with these half- measures they propose. In reality, it's about politics, they know a banning guns stance will lead to defeat at the ballot box. They're being dishonest

Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 AM

36,596 posts, read 16,008,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you! I am trying to be realistic. Even if we had stricter gun laws; the criminals and those that plan to do evil things would not cooperate. Maybe years down the road the Country might be safer? But that would not solve the immediate problem: Protecting our schools. Everything should be on the table and politics will not help save our kids!

Our police use facial recognition to pick out the 'bad guys'; why not incorporate some of that technology to defend our schools. Once anybody is expelled their face could immediately be placed in the facial recognition data bank as an 'access denied'. We could create foyers that are bullet proof with electronic locks and maybe metal detectors? Maybe we could 'lock down' the individuals before they entered? Of course not every idea is a good idea; some don't work in practice. We have to have systems that will work and not hamper why we have our kids in school (to learn).

We also have to keep in mind that schools have another potential weak spot: the school buses. I almost hate to mention it because sometimes I feel we give the wrong people ideas. I hope that our authorities are also considering how to deal with an attack on a bus. That is also another case where student training could change the results of an attack.

It is obvious we have to do more. I just want to keep us focused on where is the best place to implement true, effective, change and save lives.
"Even if we had stricter gun laws; the criminals and those that plan to do evil things would not cooperate"

Wasn't it Timothy McVeigh who used fertilizer?

Can't we still by it?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,860,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Even if we had stricter gun laws; the criminals and those that plan to do evil things would not cooperate"

Wasn't it Timothy McVeigh who used fertilizer?

Can't we still by it?
Sometimes I think its better to deal with the criminals than to put up with the massacres happening around the country. And, there will be more of these mass murders, that can be counted on.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,902,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Still I want laws that ban weapons that are only of military value. That way, if someone is caught before committing a massacre, through social media or otherwise, merely having an arsenal is a crime. If the police or FBI had picked up on Nikolas Cruz, Devin Patrick Kelley or Stephen Paddock before the respective massacres, they would have been helpless other than to urge him to get help.
That's the way it should work. I have my doubts about people who own or defend owning AR-15s. The only thing they're the best at is killing a lot of people quickly. People who think they're "cool" are just one step away from some really terrible outcome.

NY has a strict gun control law. They call it the Safe Act. When they came out with it I was opposed. Now I see it was a good idea and necessary. It has a lot of pain in the butt things for gun owners about relicensing, magazine size, stuff I don't understand. Overall, it's a good idea.

If FL had a Safe Act those kids would be alive today.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 AM

3,022 posts, read 939,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Sometimes I think its better to deal with the criminals than to put up with the massacres happening around the country. And, there will be more of these mass murders, that can be counted on.
The issue is, that your preferred methods would strip hundreds of millions of non criminal citizens of thier rights.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
That's the way it should work. I have my doubts about people who own or defend owning AR-15s. The only thing they're the best at is killing a lot of people quickly. People who think they're "cool" are just one step away from some really terrible outcome.

NY has a strict gun control law. They call it the Safe Act. When they came out with it I was opposed. Now I see it was a good idea and necessary. It has a lot of pain in the butt things for gun owners about relicensing, magazine size, stuff I don't understand. Overall, it's a good idea.

If FL had a Safe Act those kids would be alive today.
Again, you are incorrect as well as uninformed. Your assumptions are fabricated to fit your narrative and nothing more.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,902,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Again, you are incorrect as well as uninformed. Your assumptions are fabricated to fit your narrative and nothing more.
No, you.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
No, you.
A sentence, or even a verb, would be helpful in conveying your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or