Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,948,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Most people really don't give a rip about the technical aspects of these rifles. Thats far less important (in fact, almost meaningless) especially give their capability of killing large numbers of people very quickly. And thats what people care about.
Considering those are some of the defining factors behind how legislation has been and will continue to be written, they better start caring. Or are you advocating for sweeping regulation of basically anything with a trigger that goes boom?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,597,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Like I said, you have a grossly uninformed stereotype and you want to use it to demonize people. Nothing you wrote in either of these two retorts is based in fact, and even if they do just like them because they are cool, your assumption that they now want to go be dangers to society is just ridiculous. You obviously have hatred for people with different lifestyles and views than your own, and again I find people like you way more dangerous than a guy who just wants to live his life without judging what makes you happy or what you think is cool.
Agreed, repped.

Quote:
Most people really don't give a rip about the technical aspects of these rifles. Thats far less important (in fact, almost meaningless) especially give their capability of killing large numbers of people very quickly. And thats what people care about.
Agreed and repped. That said, purposely speaking falsely about the subject is a far distance from "not giving a rip". It's just lying.

My point is that the " capability of killing large numbers of people very quickly" is in no way isolated to one style of rifle, gun, or object.
Knowing the specifics is key in defining anything in legal terms.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,778,230 times
Quote:
Like I said, you have a grossly uninformed stereotype and you want to use it to demonize people. Nothing you wrote in either of these two retorts is based in fact, and even if they do just like them because they are cool, your assumption that they now want to go be dangers to society is just ridiculous. You obviously have hatred for people with different lifestyles and views than your own, and again I find people like you way more dangerous than a guy who just wants to live his life without judging what makes you happy or what you think is cool.
You's skated over the point: these people (AR-15) owners think they are cool. They are NOT cool. They are dangerous weapons. A person is much more likely to misuse, intentionally or not, a cool thing than a dangerous one.

They are not like an old Harley or Cobra replica. They are dangerous weapons that don't belong in society. (Please, no false analogies like driving cars into crowds, OK?)

No one says amateurs should own a-bombs. Or Abrams tanks. Or other artillery or rocket weapons the military has. AR-15s fall in the same category as the aforementioned: they are pseudo-military weapons that have no place in civilian society.

This is literally true. Carriage guns are better for self-defense. Shotgun for birds, some rifle for big game, .22s for vermin, etc.

AR-15s are best when it comes to killing lots of people quickly. Better than anything else available. They are in a different league from other people killers. That's why they should be banned.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,898,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Many of these AR-15 guys are, "Hey. Want to see what I've got?" (More likely "What I got", but no matter.)

Then they go to the garage, oogle the thing a bit, and go out back and blow up some pumpkins. It's the highpoint of their day if not life.

Setting these people off is dangerous in the best of circumstances. A handy AR-15 can turn it into the worst of circumstances pretty quickly.
You start of by insulting the intelligence of AR-15 owners. How many do you know? My wife and I both own several and we both have master's degrees. My dentist was excited to tell me he purchased and AR-10 (the larger version of the AR-15). Stop by AR15.com and see the wide range of people who own ARs. Yes, some haven't mastered the English language but you would be surprised and the varied backgrounds of the owners.

If having a gun nearby was the only difference between an argument and bloodshed then there would be hundreds of shootings where I live. I have been verbally accosted after a fend bender to the point of my wife being in tears. I never raised my voice to the man insulting me and my family. Why? Because that would have escalated the situation and since I was carrying a concealed 9mm, it would have been my fault if I had to use it. Look at the statistics. Licensed concealed carriers are less likely to commit a felony when compared to police officers.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You's skated over the point: these people (AR-15) owners think they are cool. They are NOT cool. They are dangerous weapons. A person is much more likely to misuse, intentionally or not, a cool thing than a dangerous one.

They are not like an old Harley or Cobra replica. They are dangerous weapons that don't belong in society. (Please, no false analogies like driving cars into crowds, OK?)

No one says amateurs should own a-bombs. Or Abrams tanks. Or other artillery or rocket weapons the military has. AR-15s fall in the same category as the aforementioned: they are pseudo-military weapons that have no place in civilian society.

This is literally true. Carriage guns are better for self-defense. Shotgun for birds, some rifle for big game, .22s for vermin, etc.

AR-15s are best when it comes to killing lots of people quickly. Better than anything else available. They are in a different league from other people killers. That's why they should be banned.
Nah, I'm not skating over anything. You are stereotyping, judging, and trying to justify your hatred for a group of people who you have different views than. All of the backtracking in the world wont change that now, regardless of how silly you want to be by dragging in nukes to the conversation. Its not even a reasonable path to go down, just quit while you are behind.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If you are backing a restriction on something you damn well better know the specifics. Ignoring specifics is just using emotion in the decision making.
I damn well know they are efficient in killing people. No better proof than that.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:

It is painfully onvious that you don't know anything about that which you are pretending to be knowlegable.

Quote:
Nah, I'm not skating over anything. You are stereotyping, judging, and trying to justify your hatred for a group of people who you have different views than. All of the backtracking in the world wont change that now, regardless of how silly you want to be by dragging in nukes to the conversation. Its not even a reasonable path to go down, just quit while you are behind.
Agreed.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 AM

29,159 posts, read 14,444,481 times
Quote:

Other than your opinion, why are these evil AR's so much more dangerous than , say a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm magnum ? Or a Ruger Range 14 chambered in .223 ? Or a Benelli M4 shotgun ?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I damn well know they are efficient in killing people. No better proof than that.
That is incorrect.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
And others have proven box trucks on open streets to be way more "efficient" at that, but have we banned those? No, we have put up concrete road blocks, blocked streets with larger trucks, stepped up security, and put protocols in place for truck rental companies to have a chain of command in terms of notifying law enforcement of suspicious rental situations.

Point being that "efficient in killing people" is not a reason to ban a product that is lawfully and legally used by 99% of the people who put their hands on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies