Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think peoples lives are more important than owning deadly weapons.
People's lives depend on deadly weapons.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I think his parents happened to be dead.
The mother was alive the 39 times the cops went to his house. In some states, the cops and parents can get an order and remove weapons. Oh, and what about the time the social worker visited him over the video of him cutting himself. This was a governmental failure on multiple levels..

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I think owning weapons helps protect people's lives. I think if you managed to find and destroy every gun in every home in America, there would be a machinist in every neighborhood manufacturing firearms for their friends and neighbors. I think the reason for this would be the fact that you might round up all the legal firearms in the country, but the millions of illegal arms in the hands of criminals would still be in the hands of the criminals. Owning guns is and has been the right of American citizens for hundreds of years. Yet school shootings and mass killings are a fairly new phenomenon in our country. Perhaps it's time people stop trying to blame the gun, and focus on what has gone wrong in our society over the last 30 years to cause these terrible tragedies to happen. There is always a person pulling the trigger of the gun, and I think the question we should really be thinking about is why they did it. What has changed in the minds of our youth in America to cause them to take such violent actions against others in order for them to feel they have righted the wrongs done against them? These types of attacks will not stop until we actually focus on the real problem. And making broad, single-sentence statements like yours does absolutely nothing to move us towards a real solution.
Many other countries are much safer than the USA and more densely populated. Are Americans to violent for proper regulations to work correctly?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I started this discussion in the guns and hunting forum but I now think it will be better suited for this forum:

The horrible recent school shooting in Florida has so many people screaming to ban the scary black guns like the AR15 that I am worried that this might just be the catalyst towards gun seizures.

In my state of MASS. we recently had bump stocks outlawed. The owner had a choice to turn in their bump stock to their local Police, it was not a buy back program so the owner gave up their property with no compensation OR after Feb1 you will face criminal prosecution.

I wonder how many held onto their bump stocks, thumbing their nose at an over reaching tyrannical gov. while risking arrest and no doubt confiscation of all their firearms if caught.

Who is to say that this won't happen again with the AR 15 and rifles like it.
What was legal yesterday is now banned not only to buy and sell but to possess.

I can't help but think if a ban, followed by so many days to turn in the guns or face seizure of "assault weapons" and criminal prosecution was to occur how many people would refuse to give up their guns.

For those who own one of these AR15's or a similar rifle if this does happen will you willingly give up your guns or will they have to arrest you and take them?

I am curious about how the good honest freedom loving law abiding gun owner that would never dream of using his or her gun for evil would handle this.

What would you do if the Police/ Feds came to your house to confiscate your beloved AR?

Would you comply?
Would you hide the gun and hope they didn't find it until this illegal seizure played itself out in the courts?
Would you stand ready with other gun owners to face down the authorities?

Making a stand for freedom could be very risky to your life depending on the amount of force the Police bring and your future when they prosecute you to years in prison.

What would you do if the Police came knocking on your door?
They won’t find mine.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Which of these is more deadly?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Thankfully I don't walk around full of fear and paranoid someone is out to get me
Gun owners are not walking around full of fear. That's just something you made up in order to cover for your absurd statement. So the thing to do is make another one? lol Consistent at least.

Quote:
also there are plenty of alternatives to guns for self defense...
And? So? Who says there isn't? What does that have to do with owning a gun?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
The "citizens" who voted for the ban should be the ones to go door to door to make the collections.
That's exactly right, and I'd apply that to most laws. If you don't like your neighbor doing something that isn't harming anyone, you can personally go and stop them. Don't hide behind the law or the police like a coward.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
They cannot even pay people to turn in their guns. With technology today, you can make your own gun and ammo.

Watch what happens, when they think they got everyone unarmed.
I bet each of the slaves, would have loved to have an AR.

They disarmed England, France and Aussie and it was not long before the people felt like someone elses property.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Problem is we are losing more lives to guns than saving in this country.
No we're not and have no proof.

Quote:
We have the highest murder rate in the developed world, thanks to easy access to deadly firearms.
No we don't. Quit making things up. That's twice now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

94th on the list of counries You don't get to move the goal posts by making it about what is and isn't a developed country as if that matters.

Quote:
It's too easy to kill fellow Americans, either on purpose or by accident.
It's much easier to defend yourself in this country than most countries.

Anyone who thinks law abiding citizens should suffer because some people don't follow the rules is silly. How'd that work during prohibition. As if gun control will stop criminals. People who actually think that, aren't living in the real world.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Those "snowflakes" are one day going to run your show for you bub. They will be the ones deciding whether you get a clean diaper to go sit on the porch or perhaps go out there with the three day full one you're already wearing.
American millennials? They aren't going to be taking care of any old people. The caregivers will be the Filipinas, just like today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies