U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 AM

9,828 posts, read 5,491,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No one is coming for anybody's AR. At most, there might be some sort of weak regulations put on their sales.

I don't have an AR.

Mine is a Mini-14.

I like wood and blued metal.

But I had plenty of AR experience in my military days. But back then it was called the M16a1. I fully grasp why it's such an attractive firearm to many.
To each their own.

Mine was an M-14.

Oh, that is such a beautiful weapon, the way the magazine slams in and acts as a palm rest, just like the 40X. One can lean into the former and put rounds on target, even from a rolling deck. "Man" and machine coming together to put rounds on target.

So when my arms dealer (Viet Nam War UDT Vet, so there is the opposite side with a Veteran supporting such weapons to civilians) told me about the Armalite sale of AR-10s, he only had to do an hour sales talk to convince me to part with $1K.....the week before 9-11.

My style of shooting the -10 is a little different than the -14. With my -10, I use a wrap sling around my supporting arm, but it is still coming up on form to bring rounds down on target. Then, there is that WHOMP! when the trigger is pulled. It's better than sex!

When the Beltway Sniper was active, there was a question in the back of my mind of what if that was happening around "here"? Would the police be knocking on my door, given my military records? Should I put my -10 (didn't buy my -15 till just before the 2008 election) in the safe keeping of my lawyer till the matter was over?

My arms dealer, same man as above, said he didn't know about that but I better believe that the Sheriff knew I had that -10. Why, I don't know but as he was the FFL, he probably did.

So, if they did, might I do the same as the injunctions flew? Given it being in my lawyer's hands or theirs, ..............you betcha!

One other thing about my -10. I remember once when I was shooting, Malaysian ammo I think, and one shot didn't feel right. Stopping, checking it out, the round had only gone half way down the barrel.

Memories of those chills always, one shot, one pull of the trigger, and the confirmation feel that the cycle is complete.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,292,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Alot of people make their own. I know people that cast their own slugs, reruse brass.

The powder and primers would be more of a pain but not impossible to make.
LOL. Ban the powder & primers! So much for the 2nd A.

"Bear your freakin' arms. Good luck with the powder & primers."

Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,491,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They gaven't banned guns in most countries, they have merely restricted the caibre of new guns and changed the bullets legally available for sale.

You can still buy an AR-15 in the UK but it will be a lever release gas piston AR-15 with .223 calibre version.

Guns you can legally buy in the UK - Business Insider

Video of a UK legal gas piston AR15 in .223 at Bisley in Surrey, England.

On a side note, we had a friend buy a Sig Sauer 516 in Germany. The barrel had 223 on vice, 556 Nato like in USA. Is this a European thing, because the rifle is made in same shop and can fire both rounds, as they are virtually the same, without going into detail.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,491,853 times
Here is the way I see a confiscation. With the highest number of veterans and civilian contractors war hardened, more so than WW2, you will have a huge quiet front that will resist.
When a squad , 5 to 7 men, starts going home to home to confiscate, eventually there will be resistance, and soon after, people will be notified of whats going on and be alerted. Then said squad will face more resistance. There will be blood on many forefronts.
Don't think the governments military is full on going to support an order from the POTUS to confiscate weapons. Its an Illegal order, if done prior to a Constitutional Convention and ratification to amend the 2A.
Plus, many LEO will be doing this in their home towns. Friends and family wont put up with it, and only the sheeple will.
The government has allot of tools at hand, but the human factor is not their tool they have control over.
So, America. Lets fix the real issue at hand, our kids, our morals, our society, political correctness.. We need to have conversations to realistically address our issues at hand.
Think about why Cruz was not arrested with bullets in a backpack on school grounds. Why? Because the school system didn't want to bother with LEO and or hurt certain minority groups feelings of constantly being arrested. Read American Thinker article on it, and it discusses in depth how, if Trayvon Martin had been arrested at school for the things he had done, he may not have ended up dead.. PC has consequences.
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...#disqus_thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 AM

4,633 posts, read 2,786,228 times
A ban on semi automatic weapons is the correct decision. Fat losers go hunting with semi autos because they are to stupid to practice with regular rifles.

Sick kids spent their days on instagram and YouTube watching gun videos between their masturbation sessions. They are taught that ‘guns’ are a cultural power statement. The bigger the better.

Right wingers that say “more guns” are mostly unsuccessful people who already have criminals in their family.

The best is the idiots who say it would do nothing. You know mental illness exists everywhere? That they don’t have mass murders because people don’t have access to the tools of war?

Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 AM

11,660 posts, read 3,993,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
On a side note, we had a friend buy a Sig Sauer 516 in Germany. The barrel had 223 on vice, 556 Nato like in USA. Is this a European thing, because the rifle is made in same shop and can fire both rounds, as they are virtually the same, without going into detail.
The UK made .233 the maximum you are allowed, and made weapons lever release gas piston in order to prevent rapid fire. I think some other countries have similar laws.

There is a substantial sporting gun club culture in the UK, as well as shootings, although the weapons of choice are generally rifles and shotguns. The UK has a tradition of making very good hand made shotguns and rifles with companies such as Westley Richards, Boss & Co, James Purdey & Son, Holland & Holland, Accuracy International (Sniper Rifles) etc and there are some very upmarket shops selling country attire, shotguns and rifles.

Target ranges and clay pigeon shooting are popular throughout the UK.

However guns in the UK are seen as more for leisure pursuits such as shooting/hunting or target practice rather than as a means of self defence. In the countryside most farmers and land owners have shotguns and rifles, as do gamekeepers etc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-20-2018 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 AM

36,964 posts, read 16,123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's a gas operated, magazine fed semi-automatic gun that fires an intermediate sized rifle cartridge. Can be an effective tool for killing animals as well as people.

There! NOW we all know what an AR15 is.
And they are NOT "ASSAULT" WEAPONS" as the anti-gunners like to call them and have been told thousands of time but, they DON'T care!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why not just ban semi-automatic firearms? What is so wrong with that?
"What is so wrong with that?"

"If you have to ask the question, you would NOT understand the answer", as they say.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:09 AM

33,908 posts, read 42,165,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
A ban on semi automatic weapons is the correct decision. Fat losers go hunting with semi autos because they are to stupid to practice with regular rifles.

Sick kids spent their days on instagram and YouTube watching gun videos between their masturbation sessions. They are taught that ‘guns’ are a cultural power statement. The bigger the better.

Right wingers that say “more guns” are mostly unsuccessful people who already have criminals in their family.

The best is the idiots who say it would do nothing. You know mental illness exists everywhere? That they don’t have mass murders because people don’t have access to the tools of war?
And people wonder why they end up being ignored if they ever say something intelligent.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I have pointed out a number of times that this would be an effective way to reduce gun deaths, once the process was complete.

But I didn't say we "should" do it. I just said it to point out just how horrific the consequences would be, rivalling the violence and deaths of this country's first Civil War.

But you're right about how you can't have a civilized conversation about it. Every time I point it out, not one of the people who want govt to have the power to disarm whoever they want, will reply. The crickets get loud and stay loud.
YOU have pointed out. Well whoop-di-do!

"this would be an effective way to reduce gun deaths, once the process was complete."

Man y drugs have been ILLEGAL for DECADES.

Why do we have a BIGGER drug problem NOW then when the "war on drugs" was started?

We amended he Constitution to ban alcohol.How did THAT turn out?

You also might want to look up the word "criminal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or