Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Again in English? The NRA doesn't sell firearms scholar.
FYI:

Quote:
Since 2005, the gun industry and its corporate allies have given between $20 million and $52.6 million to it through the NRA Ring of Freedom sponsor program. Donors include firearm companies like Midway USA, Springfield Armory Inc, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, and Beretta USA Corporation. Other supporters from the gun industry include Cabala's, Sturm Rugar & Co, and Smith & Wesson.

The NRA also made $20.9 million — about 10 percent of its revenue — from selling advertising to industry companies marketing products in its many publications in 2010, according to the IRS Form 990.

Additionally, some companies donate portions of sales directly to the NRA. Crimson Trace, which makes laser sights, donates 10 percent of each sale to the NRA. Taurus buys an NRA membership for everyone who buys one of their guns. Sturm Rugar gives $1 to the NRA for each gun sold, which amounts to millions. The NRA's revenues are intrinsically linked to the success of the gun business.

The NRA Foundation also collects hundreds of thousands of dollars from the industry, which it then gives to local-level organizations for training and equipment purchases.
This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - BI

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
The "citizens" who voted for the ban should be the ones to go door to door to make the collections.

I would love for some liberal snowflake try to come to my door and take my gun. it would end quiet ugly.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
speaking of stupid...this post ranks pretty high up. glad you are not pro gun, you seem a bit unhinged.
Not unhinged. Some people are just wrapped in their own bubble that someone needs to call their stupidity out on it. I just happen to be that way. I'd be unhinged against Sean Hannity, but not reasonable people but with true disagreements like Kasich.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So again,

if you ban the AR-15 will mass shootings stop? Let's see if you can stay on topic.
No, they will move to another rifle, like the 10/22. Then when we ban that one, it will be the Marlin Model 60, and the list keeps going on and on.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:35 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am almost 70 This generation is the weakest I have seen. If they get called a derogatory name, they need counseling. They were raised to be weaklings and easily offended, so some strike out.
This is exactly it. I wonder if one can research when the direction to raise children went to the let's be friends vs a parent, everyone is a winner, type of parenting started and when these types of tragedies did.

Mental illness is nothing new, the way kids are being raised has changed in the last 20 years. That is what needs to be focused on. Do we want to really end this type of thing or just put a band aid on it so we can feel good ?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
A ban on semi automatic weapons is the correct decision. Fat losers go hunting with semi autos because they are to stupid to practice with regular rifles.
Fat losers? I'm 66, and I guarantee you I'll walk you in the ground day after day after day. You pick the terrain.

I don't care if your 20, 30 or any other age. I have a semi-auto shotgun, for duck/goose hunting.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Will they all stop? No. But making weapons that are designed to kill mass number of people in second difficult to get will stop some of them. Just like requiring seatbelts didn't stop all traffic fatalities and outlawing drugs doesn't stop the drug trade. But we don't just throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, we can't stop them all so we won't even try."

If it stops just one mass shooting, it will be worth it. How much is the life of a child worth to you?

With 20,000 firearms related laws on the books, can you come up with 20,001 that is going to all of a sudden change things ? If one could snap their fingers and all firearms and knowledge of building them disappeared , then I think we would see a drop in violence.... until those that have a desire to kill find the next tool to do it.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Banning AR 15s wouldn't stop all mass shootings but it would reduce the death rates. With a regular hunting gun at least after a handful of rounds victims would have a chance to run or attack the attacker. AR 15 can hold huge numbers of rounds and kill from long distances. There's a reason it's the gun used by military in war zones.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The laws were followed in the case of Cruz. Here's where your crack in the law happened:

1) Broward County schools decided a few years ago that no criminal or harmful psychiatric behavior would be reported to the authorities and would instead be handled "in house" to avoid the "school to prison" pipeline, according the New Age claptrap peddled by Obama's DoJ about how the disproportionate percentage of suspensions and expulsions were minorities. The new policy is even if a kid does do something that would/should see them arrested and jailed, we have a responsibility to rehabilitate them and spare them the consequences of their teenage actions. Blah blah. So none of the things Cruz did that would have put him in the system or squarely on the system's radar got reported to the system.

2) The FBI gave minimum attention to the called in anonymous tip about him. Some say they blew it, but remove hindsight and here is a kid who has never done anything the system knows about, never been convicted, and is being accused of being a weird, creepy loner teenager. They probably field 100 of such calls per day at every office they have. He was never in their system, so he was just another dude who freaked out some girl, we'll give it the cursory glance and be done with it. Can't blame a bureaucracy for being bureaucratic.

So Cruz is not in the system. He has no reason to fail a background check because the reporting authorities who would put the flag on him either chose not to (school system) or had no reason to (FBI). In no way am I saying Broward County got what they deserved, but this Cruz thing is a glaring, horrific example of what turning a blind eye to the seriously fubar teenager in your midst can lead to. They may very well have spared the otherwise perpetual inmate existence of many more than Cruz, and on net their policy may very well be a resounding success. If so, good for them, but this Cruz event is the fine print on the deal, the societal tax, if you will. Compassion has tangible downsides, this is one of them.
Good points. And further the Sheriff is complicit in this feel good policy and ran on not arresting juveniles.

I don't understand why no one is talking about this and the unintended fallout from this policy.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Not unhinged. Some people are just wrapped in their own bubble that someone needs to call their stupidity out on it. I just happen to be that way. I'd be unhinged against Sean Hannity, but not reasonable people but with true disagreements like Kasich.

You started out with an insult , which in my mind puts anything you say as irrelevant. Want a decent debate, act like an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies