U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,180,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Liberal logic: Maybe we should fight obesity by banning and seizing all the spoons in the country and limiting all forks to 2 prongs.

How can we realistically expect to solve the problem by banning certain types of guns but not even look at the hot mess that is mental health treatment in America?

It's just a quick-fix that doesn't do anything but make some people feel better and robs the rest of another piece of their freedom.
Then vote for universal healthcare. Until then, good luck.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:18 AM

35,131 posts, read 32,118,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Shouldn't our attitude be that if only life is saved from passing stricter gun laws than it is worthwhile?

Shouldn't that be the standard?
How can you measure a future event?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM

6,062 posts, read 3,102,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Guns don't have a place in civilized society. Just because there's an amendment that says you have a right to it, doesn't mean it has to stay. After all it is an amendment.

If you want a gun to go hunting one weekend, then go rent one as simple as that.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A heck of a lot more than most people would believe. You get away from the coast here and it is VERY conservative. There is a huge military presence here.
Your surrounding community is a tiny speck of CA's population. Gun ownership rates in CA are around 20-30%. You're part of that 20-30% and of that fraction, own a high amount of firearms. Statistically speaking, you and your ultra conservative neighborhood is nothing in comparison to the whole state.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 AM

10,137 posts, read 6,263,507 times
Quote:
Nope, precisely why I said, get rid of all the guns period. I don't know why you have this thought in your head that there must be shootouts between good and bad guys. Get rid of the weapons and the problem is gone.

Again, how are you going to do this ? I'm not debating the fact that if there were never any firearms in existence there would be no firearms crimes. What I am saying is you will not be able to "get rid of all the guns period" , that is an impossibility that you seem to not comprehend.

Australia seems to be the shinning crown for the anti firearms people. When they had the confiscation in 1996, there were 650,000 guns turned in. They estimate that , that is only one fifth of the firearms in circulation in that country. So even their , they weren't able to "get rid of all the guns period"

Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 AM

66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
On a side note, we had a friend buy a Sig Sauer 516 in Germany. The barrel had 223 on vice, 556 Nato like in USA. Is this a European thing, because the rifle is made in same shop and can fire both rounds, as they are virtually the same, without going into detail.

You don't want to fire 5.56 in a 223 barrel. The expansion in the 5.56 is greater than the 223.
You can shoot a 223 in a 5.56 barrel. My 5.56 barrels are more accurate with 223 cartridges.

4,979 posts, read 1,798,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think this is the problem with banning them: will it help? I am a strong supporter of NRA but I am wondering about the AR-15 and the reason for them. I do think the problem goes much deeper than banning any type of guns. It goes with cleaning up TV, more parental control, better home life, bring communication back into the homes and use control on how much cell phone time kids have. There are so many ways to bring stability back into our lives.

And no, nothing will totally wipe out mass murders, but there are ways to help the next generation. It might be too late for the kids now growing up.
Always amused by anyone claiming that doing any one thing will solve this. Banning gun technologies that enable the rapid mass slaughter of human beings is just one of them. On top of that we need a cultural change away from the glorification of violence and vengeance. That will be extremely hard in the USA because both of these are generating billions of dollars in revenues. We have all learned by now is that every dollar is a good dollar; so don't expect to see any change any time soon. Just keep counting the dollars and the bodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Again, how are you going to do this ? I'm not debating the fact that if there were never any firearms in existence there would be no firearms crimes. What I am saying is you will not be able to "get rid of all the guns period" , that is an impossibility that you seem to not comprehend.

Australia seems to be the shinning crown for the anti firearms people. When they had the confiscation in 1996, there were 650,000 guns turned in. They estimate that , that is only one fifth of the firearms in circulation in that country. So even their , they weren't able to "get rid of all the guns period"
If we got rid of 95% of the guns, would that be qualified as "all"? Or does it in your head mean that we have to get 100% of the guns, even from the black market.

95% would qualify as "all" in my mind, as most won't have one.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM

35,131 posts, read 32,118,924 times
Quote:
Your surrounding community is a tiny speck of CA's population. Gun ownership rates in CA are around 20-30%. You're part of that 20-30% and of that fraction, own a high amount of firearms. Statistically speaking, you and your ultra conservative neighborhood is nothing in comparison to the whole state.

Californians buying lots of guns, but ownership rate low | The Sacramento Bee

Estimated 20 million in 2015 likely much higher now. I think that's a pretty sizable amount to deal with.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Californians buying lots of guns, but ownership rate low | The Sacramento Bee

Estimated 20 million in 2015 likely much higher now. I think that's a pretty sizable amount to deal with.
Again, 20.1% of the population has it. That's very low already. Just because a small amount of people own a large amount of guns doesn't mean it's impossible to get that ownership rate lower.

Might want to also point out:
Quote:
However, the state’s rate of homicides involving guns has been falling and is at its lowest level in more than 20 years.
Gee I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or